Keys to an Iowa win; and your opinion.

CRHawk2002

Interested in hearing other Hawk fans thoughts on how the game will play out, what will need to happen to leave Tampa with a victory, and where Iowa has an advantage on the field.

I think to win the game we will need to play very clean and efficient. Very few penalties and no turnovers. E.G the UM game. If we come out and make mistakes and get in a early hole we will not be able to come back as we did against Michigan. We will need to dominate line play. If we establish a solid running game they will need to bring more than we can block to stop it; at that point we will have favorable matchups with our TEs vs LBs. The only real weaknesss on the LSU defense towards the end of the season were their LBs in coverage and the interior run defense.

They are starting a FR and a SO at CB. But I don't really see this as a weakness as they have played very well down the stretch and will be fine in man coverage against our WRs.

The LSU offense is loaded at the skill positions. They are experienced at RB and WR. The OL is solid but not considered a strength. If the defense is able to stop Jeremy Hill without run blitzing (a tough task) that would be a decided advantage for us. Best case scenario is Iowa neutralizing the run and forcing Jennings to throw on 3rd downs. He makes a few mistakes and the ball bounces in our favor and I think we can get some momentum moving forward.

I am not surprised to see the the line is -8 in favor of LSU. I would be surprised if they cover. I don't love this matchup with LSU, but I do think if we can establish the run and control the clock we are in the game with a chance to win late.

Dominate in the trenches, control the clock, take away big plays while hitting a couple of our own, limit penalties as they will happen, win turnover battle, and good red zone defense forcing field goal attempts.

Honestly, I expect(hope) for this game to look a lot like the MSU and OSU games. Very close through 2-3 quarters. My hope is that Iowa doesn't forget how to get first downs in the 2nd half the way they did in those games. If we can continue to move the ball in the second half so that the D doesn't get worn down then I like the chances.

Holding the lead Iowa will have at halftime. Don't turtle and become uber-conservative. LSU has too many good football players for the Hawks to think they can run the clock out on them with Weisman on the stretch play. And don't count on the ALL UP play to bail you out Hawkeyes, this time the Tigers will be ready for it.

Score more points than LSU. Seriously though we have to control the line of scrimmage and convert on 3rd downs.

Score more points than LSU. Seriously though we have to control the line of scrimmage and convert on 3rd downs.
No Sarcasm intended, we will need to outscore them. This isn't going to be a 7-3 kind of game. If we don't find a way to score 3+ TD's, we won't win. Offensively, we need to establish the run early to open up the passing game. The TE's will need to be a big part of the offensive game plan. LSU doesn't have the d-line or LB's the usually do. This is still a very good LSU defense, but compared to previous years, their defense isn't as good as they are accustomed. Their LB' will have a very tough time handling the TEs in the passing game. Defensively, I think this game could be won in the first quarter. If we get after their young QB early and often, the freshman QB could get rattled leading to turnovers and bad decisions. If he gains confidence early, it could be a long day for the Hawks.

The LSU fans and media are saying teams have success running straight at them and taking advantage of their lbkrs. That seems where the hawk offense should concentrate. If LSU brings a safety or two closer to the box then you have to try to burn them long.

LSU's defensive speed probably negates most outside zone stretch plays but if we can get some type of counter play once in awhile to work for good yardage that can slow them down enough to let the Off Line get the right blocking angles.

Defensively we might have to risk lowery and king being on an island and trying to stop the run and get pressure on young QB.

Go hawks!!! Iowa 24 LSU 20

LSU struggles to stop the run....Hopefully GD dusts off the 3 TE formations and has a gameplan similar to the OSU game.

As with any bowl game it boils down to preparation and wanting to be there. LSU is somewhat miffed by their opponent and are hearing all the SEC love and how we are slow and a typical B1G team. I think we are mentally prepared, focused and I never bet against Kirk and his staff since the USC debacle. Nobody prepares for a bowl better then Kirk. I think establishing both lines of scrimmage is key. NO TURNOVERS, limit the deep ball from LSU...give em anything underneath. I for one do not think the freshman QB is patient enough to dink us down the field. Canzeri is key...both catching passes and hitting big plays against their LB's. As always trick plays and special teams will be big. One big play by either team could be the difference. My final thought is the crowd...I will be shocked if this does not sound like a home game for Iowa...that is the difference Iowa 31 LSU 24. Look for some new wrinkles offensively ;)

They don't have a good defense and they are staring a new QB. When we are on offense we should be able to do what we want so lots of power running that turns into big gains in the 4th Quarter. On defense, we need to stop the run and pick our spots on blitzes. Primary thing we need to watch for is that Les Miles is a gambler who will throw out trick plays and odd play calls. Can't get down if we get burned for a TD on some fluke play.

Turnovers and special teams. We will need to be +2 or 3 on turnovers or have some luck on special teams to win.

+2 on turnovers. Preferably zero for us and 2 for them.
60% 3rd down coversions.
No big plays for LSU offense.
Use our TE's. The 3 TE set that was used against OSU but don't go away from it.
Contain their QB. Since he's new, and can run, he may feel more comfortable doing that if he senses ANY pressure..

Basically it comes down to who wants to be there and who doesn't. I am not convinced LSU wants to be there. If Mettenberg was playing maybe they could overcome lethargic play, but with a backup I think Phil Parker confuses him and he struggles. KF is great at bowl prep combine that with a program that doesn't really want to be there it would not shock me if Iowa wins by double digits.

i am not a big Les Miles guy i just do not think he can flip the switch and motivate these guys for this game.

Last edited:
Consistent runs on offense moving the chains and sustaining drives mixed in with play action pass, inter mixed with a coupe shots down field. On D limit big passing plays. Recipe for hawk win. Go home tigers, back to the swamps

#1 is that we have to be able to run the ball. If we end up with a bunch of 2nd and 9's we're going to have a long day. EVERYTHING on our offense against a team like LSU is predicated on being able to run the ball.

#2 is that we have to be able to NOT let LSU run the ball well. EVERYTHING on our defense is predicated on not allowing the opposition to establish a good run game.

Beyond that, there's: getting consistent pressure on the LSU QB, not losing contain in the LSU QB, not having our receivers drop catchable passes, and not allowing any long returns to the Tigers.

That's admittedly a long list. I still only give us about a 40% chance of winning, but a few breaks on penalties and turnovers would raise that considerably.

Control the trenches (like ANY game), sustain drives, get more TDs than FGs on offense. Open the run game with a good passing attack, and be willing to swing for the fences early, not just in desperation.

On defense, get off the field, don't give up big plays.

On special teams...I won't even say it :)

^^^^gotta play some bend. A new qb, will not be able to sustain those kinds of drives, plus our lbs are fired up and they like thier picks.

Latest posts