Keys to an Iowa win; and your opinion.

I think everyone has it right. I go back to the Ohio State game as I think about this one. LSU and OSU are pretty similar. Iowa needed to score early and often. They did that for 2 and 1/2 quarters.

Can't get off schedule on 1st down. This was, in my opinion, why Iowa lost at OSU. 2nd half drives fizzled out. An incomplete pass on 1st down or few yards on 1st down and then it was uphill.

#1 Who controls the edge, LSU’s offensive tackles or Iowa’s defensive ends. I’m reasonably confident about Iowa’s interior defense, but if LSU can effectively run outside it will be a long game for Iowa’s defense.

#2 Rudock needs to pick up where he left off, without major setbacks. It would be even better if he takes a bit of a step forward with his command of the offense.

#3 Iowa isn’t going to be able to sit back in a soft zone and spend the first quarter sizing up LSU’s passing offense. If they let the true freshman quarterback get comfortable, they are going to have problems.

#4 Iowa’s short passing game will have to be in order to loosen up the running game a bit. That will have to be some combination of tight ends working on the LSU linebackers, backs releasing from blocking to take a pass, and roll playing by other bits and pieces of Iowa’s passing game. I think a lot of guy’s are going to get a chance to make at least a few catches. Hopefully few of those are LSU defenders.

#5 LSU’s defense is pretty big up front. I don’t think Weisman can hammer away all game for 25+ runs. We know Bullock will get some work in the passing game and a few runs. Canzeri needs to get some work, especially if LSU’s defense gets a bit tired. LeShun Daniels no doubt got his share of work with the number one’s. We could see some of him to take some of the short yardage load or if Weisman isn’t making any headway.

#6 Iowa needs to create some opportunities for the big play. LSU secondary looks talented, but young and inexperienced, coupled with a true freshman quarterback in his first start. I think LSU can be forced into their share of mistakes.

Whenever you're an underdog, winning the turnover battle can be the break you need to win.

I also agree with the guy who earlier stated we have to be able to run the ball on offense. Look at the MSU game for evidence of what happens when we can't.

On defense it's limiting the big plays in the passing game which improved throughout this season.

Do you think we will blitze a lot or go back to our cover/ bend don't break?
I think you will see Iowa put some pressure early to not allow the youngster to get into a groove. I think you will see us standing up our line and DE's and disguising pressure and the line stunts. Remember pressure for Iowa comes in many forms, especially line stunts.

Make their freshman QB beat you with 20 play drives. Don't give up huge chunks on the ground and don't get beat deep by their standout WRs. If their QB is mature enough to beat you NW style then so be it.

Turnovers and special teams. We will need to be +2 or 3 on turnovers or have some luck on special teams to win.

BINGO on both counts. Suffice to say we can't have four turnovers like we did against Michigan and hope to win the game. As for special teams, the match-up scares me to death - LSU loves trick plays and often tries and converts them - Iowa ... well, you know. I would love to see the game decided on Iowa both actually converting on a trick play of their own, and stopping one or two LSU ones in key moments. We don't have to dominate on special teams - we just have to not get whipped (like Minnesota did vs. Syracuse in the Texas Bowl).

My keys:

Offense: Take advantage when in the redzone. Gotta turn those trips into 7s instead of 3s and of course, hold onto the ball.

Defense: The safeties have improved as the season has gone along. They're going to need to play a smart game and keep those WRs from running wild behind them. Also spy the QB with one of the LBs. He's young dumb and full of *** and will probably not be very patient with his progressions and let his legs do the work, but it all starts with stopping the run so the QB is forced to into passing situations.

Make their freshman QB beat you with 20 play drives. Don't give up huge chunks on the ground and don't get beat deep by their standout WRs. If their QB is mature enough to beat you NW style then so be it.

Have to stop the run. Also, hope the LSU players are thinking more about their future NFL careers than Iowa.

LSU has large active DT's. Our guards have had a difficult time controlling the line of scrimmage and stopping penetration with this type of DT. The outside zone with Weisman is going to be difficult for that reason...Canzeri can maybe find a cut back lane, but for Weisman, they just have to much speed at linebacker and safety. I'm hoping we run off tackle, doubling the tackles off the ball and pulling the center or guard to kick out a smallish end...or similar. Their ends and linebackers aren't huge, but you can let them run to the ball, you have to run right at them and pound the crap out of them. I think this will be our game plan...more lead fullback type of stuff...with some movement up front to gain advantage.

IMO, our defense just needs to get pressure on this guy, and force him into mistakes. I think we bring pressure much like we have done. Phil may sit back awhile to see what the kid has, and play some cover two to see if he makes errant throws. If he's accurate...here come the LB's. I'm concerned about their running game, but if we can control the line of scrimmage with our front four...this shapes up well for us...if the freshman beats us with his arm, well, then maybe they deserve to win. I don't think it happens though.

Offense: I believe that a heavy dose of Wiseman and Canzeri will open up lanes for Manly and Powell. Yes Powell. I think the extra weeks of practice lays the ground work for him to catch up on play book and be ready to go. TE's will be key parts on 3rd downs to keep drives alive.
On D: Early blitz to rattle young qb and a stacked box early to stop run and force young qb to show that he has the moxy to play in a big game and keep his composure. If the O & D can do these things, I believe Iowa wins 35 17

LSU has large active DT's. Our guards have had a difficult time controlling the line of scrimmage and stopping penetration with this type of DT. The outside zone with Weisman is going to be difficult for that reason...Canzeri can maybe find a cut back lane, but for Weisman, they just have to much speed at linebacker and safety. I'm hoping we run off tackle, doubling the tackles off the ball and pulling the center or guard to kick out a smallish end...or similar. Their ends and linebackers aren't huge, but you can let them run to the ball, you have to run right at them and pound the crap out of them. I think this will be our game plan...more lead fullback type of stuff...with some movement up front to gain advantage.

IMO, our defense just needs to get pressure on this guy, and force him into mistakes. I think we bring pressure much like we have done. Phil may sit back awhile to see what the kid has, and play some cover two to see if he makes errant throws. If he's accurate...here come the LB's. I'm concerned about their running game, but if we can control the line of scrimmage with our front four...this shapes up well for us...if the freshman beats us with his arm, well, then maybe they deserve to win. I don't think it happens though.

Well we've had a month to prepare..I wouild say break tendencies...throw out of run formations and run out of throwing formations.

Offense: I believe that a heavy dose of Wiseman and Canzeri will open up lanes for Manly and Powell. Yes Powell. I think the extra weeks of practice lays the ground work for him to catch up on play book and be ready to go. TE's will be key parts on 3rd downs to keep drives alive.
On D: Early blitz to rattle young qb and a stacked box early to stop run and force young qb to show that he has the moxy to play in a big game and keep his composure. If the O & D can do these things, I believe Iowa wins 35 17

Wiseman doesn't cut back and isn't fast enough. Our OL will never be able to hold those blocks that long. You are going to have to see if Canzeri, Bullock and your TEs can beat LBs in space.

+2 on turnovers. Preferably zero for us and 2 for them.
60% 3rd down coversions.
No big plays for LSU offense.
Use our TE's. The 3 TE set that was used against OSU but don't go away from it.
Contain their QB. Since he's new, and can run, he may feel more comfortable doing that if he senses ANY pressure..

So to follow up
-2 on turnovers
32% on 3rd down
LSU had several big plays
Duzey 3 for 58 and CJF 4 for 46, and were the 2 leading receivers. Sorta used our tight ends but not enough.
Contained him, and he was only 7-19 so the defense accomplished this one.

#1 Who controls the edge, LSU’s offensive tackles or Iowa’s defensive ends. I’m reasonably confident about Iowa’s interior defense, but if LSU can effectively run outside it will be a long game for Iowa’s defense.

The defense was successful at stringing out LSU's outside running game, but Hill and the big offensive linemen did generate enough of an inside power running game to keep their offense on the field.

#2 Rudock needs to pick up where he left off, without major setbacks. It would be even better if he takes a bit of a step forward with his command of the offense.

Rudock took a bit of a step back. His receivers weren't getting open and he didn't have much time, but when did have a pass to make he looked hesitant, and his accuracy was off. His mobility was also obviously affected by his knee problems and he wasn't able to buy time by moving around.

#3 Iowa isn’t going to be able to sit back in a soft zone and spend the first quarter sizing up LSU’s passing offense. If they let the true freshman quarterback get comfortable, they are going to have problems.

Iowa's defense did an excellent job limiting LSU's passing game and intimidating the new quarterback.

#4 Iowa’s short passing game will have to be in order to loosen up the running game a bit. That will have to be some combination of tight ends working on the LSU linebackers, backs releasing from blocking to take a pass, and roll playing by other bits and pieces of Iowa’s passing game. I think a lot of guy’s are going to get a chance to make at least a few catches. Hopefully few of those are LSU defenders.

LSU successfully jammed Iowa's receivers and generated pressure on Rudock to limit the amount of time in the pocket. This allowed them to bring forward their defensive backfield and jam up both Iowa's running game and short passing game.

#5 LSU’s defense is pretty big up front. I don’t think Weisman can hammer away all game for 25+ runs. We know Bullock will get some work in the passing game and a few runs. Canzeri needs to get some work, especially if LSU’s defense gets a bit tired. LeShun Daniels no doubt got his share of work with the number one’s. We could see some of him to take some of the short yardage load or if Weisman isn’t making any headway.

Weisman was only somewhat effective in short yardage plays. Bullock was neither effective in the running or passing game. Canzeri was reasonably effective in limited play and Daniels didn't carry the ball. It's obvious that Ferentz puts a premium on ball security and I suspect that is why we see so little of Canzeri and nothing of Daniels. The problem is just puts more pressure on an ineffective short passing game and winds up trading fewer fumbles for more interceptions.

#6 Iowa needs to create some opportunities for the big play. LSU secondary looks talented, but young and inexperienced, coupled with a true freshman quarterback in his first start. I think LSU can be forced into their share of mistakes.

Iowa did get big plays on defense and special teams but had nothing in the long passing game with Rudock.

Last edited:

Latest posts