Keys: Michigan Game

This is a game where we don't have to sell out to stop a good running game. Michigan couldn't even get above 4 ypc against Rutgers and have struggled to run the ball all year. This is a game where I'd commit 6 guys to the run game (front 4 and 2 backers) and have the other 5 blanket the field in zone coverage to ball hawk the passing game and spy for Shea taking off.

I'll probably be way off on this, but this feels like a 31-14 Iowa win where we convert 3 turnovers (2 ints and a fumble) into 17 points.

Less publicized is that Michigan isn't great at stopping the run. They give up more than they get. They can't sell out too often on stopping the run, if they do they'll get burned.

Last edited:
OK, I didn't get to see the second half of the Iowa State game and haven't watched it on youtube yet either. Missed the blitzing.

Missed a good section of the second half of the ISU game. Haven't gone back to watch the section yet. Watched the first half twice though.

Three keys - An offensive game plan that keeps Michigan on their heels (e.g., audible to short passes on first down when corners are playing off the line) - Defense - No corner/safety communication issues and linebackers contain on short passes.

I expect that Martin will be targeted on more pass plays, especially if he catches and gets some YAC on his first play.

With Brents and Merriweather back, maybe someone can play CASH and go 4-2-5. I think this is the game to do it. Michigan's biggest threat is at WR, not so much their running game, so it would help to get more speed on the field.

There's one key to this game.One place to look for how this game will go. Only one. Everything else is a manipulation of that effort. Iowa's dline vs Michigan's oline. The reason their offense has looked pedestrian all year is because even against army, their oline was getting whooped. They have gotten whooped at the line of scrimmage. If we can do the same, our corners don't have to cover as long, and patterson doesn't have time to take advantage of really good wr's versus our 5th and 6th corners. If he's got all day cause we can't get home, it doesn't take a very good qb to find these guys open. Does patterson have time to find their studd wr's open? That's the whole game. We'll be starting harris and johnson in our nickel package, along with koerner. Do they have time to take advantage of those matchups? Isu didn't, rutgers didn't, etc...

1. Defensive Line / Pass Rush:
This needs to be a coming-out party for this group. Stop the run and get after the QB, that’s the best way to help our secondary. Will the real Chauncey Golston please stand up? Can Nixon build off last week? I think it’s time for an AJE strip-sack.

2. Iowa needs to run the football:
Establish the ground game which will make it easier on Stanley and also allow us to control the clock and keep our defense fresh. Michigan hasn’t been great against the run, they lost a lot in the front 7. Iowa has improved in this area this year but needs to keep it going.

3. Turnovers.
This is key in almost every game. Iowa has been really good in this area but if they have a couple of turnovers in this one it’s going to be very tough to overcome.
1. Defensive Line / Pass Rush:
This needs to be a coming-out party for this group. Stop the run and get after the QB, that’s the best way to help our secondary. Will the real Chauncey Golston please stand up? Can Nixon build off last week? I think it’s time for an AJE strip-sack.

2. Iowa needs to run the football:
Establish the ground game which will make it easier on Stanley and also allow us to control the clock and keep our defense fresh. Michigan hasn’t been great against the run, they lost a lot in the front 7. Iowa has improved in this area this year but needs to keep it going.

3. Turnovers.
This is key in almost every game. Iowa has been really good in this area but if they have a couple of turnovers in this one it’s going to be very tough to overcome.

I would agree with above I think if Iowa is able to run for over 125 yards we win the game by 10 and below that # will be a toss-up matchup.

I feel like it depends on UM's defense.

If they decide to sit back I think Iowa can take control.

If they blitz a ton I'm not sure Stanley has shown he can handle the pressure in the big games

After watching Michigan's first 4 games I think Iowa's chances are pretty good. But I am reminded of the Michigan State game a few years ago. MSU started badly, looked horrible. They looked like they didn't have a QB. And then against Iowa he had a career day.
So I am cautiously optimistic

We haven’t even come close to being tested. Not even remotely.

Rutgers and Miami would struggle in FCS, and MTSU would lose ballgames in NAIA.

Tell me I’m full of shit all you want, but you have zero to go on saying that our DBs can get it done against a legitimate P5 team.
Michigan has been tested and got an F-, hopefuly we do better.

I would agree with above I think if Iowa is able to run for over 125 yards we win the game by 10 and below that # will be a toss-up matchup.
We have been rushing well but Iowa has failed to convert those long runs to TD's, I'm hoping our guys finish some of those runs Saturday in the endzone.

Michigan is soft as warm butter. We will hit them in the mouth and they'll go into their shell like they did against Wisconsin. Michigan under Harbaugh is the typical bully....beats up on the lower tier until someone stands up and punches them in the mouth and they fold like a wet blanket.

This is the same team that was behind the entire 1st quarter against MTSU, the same team that needed overtime to beat a very average Army team, and the same team that got treated like a $5 hooker by Wisky.

This game is going to be similar to the 2002 beatdown.
GO HAWKS!!
everyone-has-a-plan-till-they-get-punched-in-the-29596951.png

Normally, I don't agree with Caddy, but:

He's got good reason to doubt, especially heading into this game.

Iowa's opponents are 6 - 11.

Michigan's are 9 - 7.

Iowa hasn't faced anyone over .500 on the season.

Michigan beat Army and lost to Wisconsin.

Iowa hasn't played a ranked opponent.

Michigan lost to Wisconsin.

Michigan is averaging 32.5 ppg against better opponents by record.

Iowa's is averaging 33.5.

Iowa has only won 15 times out of 60 vs. Michigan.

It's at Michigan.

Iowa has only won in Ann Arbor 4 times since 1961.

Conversely, you have good reasons to hope.
In my lifetime starting in 1981, Iowa is 11-16 with one tie against Michigan. 7 of those losses to Michigan coming from '91 to 2001 being the end of the Fry era and the start of the Kirk era. That's hardly dominance.

Not sure but he could be related to Bobbi Fleck, the Polymar record company schmoozer who was played by Fran Drescher in Spinal Tap.

It was Bobbi Fleckman, not Fleck.

"Money talks...and bullshit walks"

"You have a greased baked woman...wearing a dog collar..."

"You should have seen what they wanted to put on the cover"

Latest posts