Kentucky Basketball

Previous posters have a good point. UK fans are going to get antsy if their best players leave after their freshmen year every year IF they don't win the national championship even IF they win 30 games.

UK fans expect final four runs and national championships, not elite eights. You could say that they lost this year because of their lack of experience, all of their young guys not being used to that kind of pressure? Now they are all gone and UK has to start all over again.

The new class will be talented no doubt and they will do quite well? No doubt UK will be dangerous in the tournament again next year but will they win the NCAA like their fans expect them to? AND how many of their players go pro after their freshmen year again NEXT year and leave gaping holes in their team again that are just enough to keep them from winning the title?

Maybe there is a downside to being able to recruit every bluechip player in the country that you want?

Will all 5 players get drafted? I didn't follow KY all that much, but I certainly don't remember thinking they had 5 players NBA ready.

Unreal. That is on par w/ UNC the two years they had 5 or 6 leave at same time. The difference is that they won the title, then went pro. Calipari just can't seem to get it done.

What a joke this has become, I think this hurts the NBA in the long run. There draft picks are riskier and the players coming in do not bring a fan base with them that would follow there careers.

I for one do not watch much NBA because the lack of fundamental basketball skills and overall basketball IQ isn't there for me. Yes they are freak athletes and guys like LaBron and Kobe are exceptions. But try and watch the Knicks or Nets play and not hack up lunch.. I don't have an answer but I am sure glad I am not a Kentucky fan.............

This makes me like Coach Cal even more. Who cares what Bob Knight says? Cal has got it going on and he took a team from the NIT to the Elite Eight. Not a bad job on his part.

I don't get how anyone can like Calipari. The guy is a good coach, but he's a filthy, slimy cheater! THAT'S how he takes a team from the NIT to the Elite Eight, by dirty recruiting. I don't have any evidence to support that he did that at UK, but he has a long history of being just one step ahead of the posse, so it's no stretch of the imagination to think he did it at UK, too. He won't be there for more that 5-7 years.

Will all 5 players get drafted? I didn't follow KY all that much, but I certainly don't remember thinking they had 5 players NBA ready.

All 5 are projected as top 20 picks, 4 in the lottery. Wall, Cousins, and Patterson are all seen as top ten, Bledsoe could sneak in but he's in the 11-15 range. Then Orton is said to go anywhere from like 18-24.

I don't get how anyone can like Calipari. The guy is a good coach, but he's a filthy, slimy cheater! THAT'S how he takes a team from the NIT to the Elite Eight, by dirty recruiting. I don't have any evidence to support that he did that at UK, but he has a long history of being just one step ahead of the posse, so it's no stretch of the imagination to think he did it at UK, too. He won't be there for more that 5-7 years.

I like him because old white people dislike him. He has never really been indicted for the problems at his program, and I am sure that UMASS and Memphis would take him back in a heart beat. When was the last time anyone mentioned UMASS in regards to college basketball?

I think only Wall and Cousins will have any impact in the NBA. Patterson will probably be in the second round but probably wont do much. Bledsoe, i never liked watching him play, from watching the tennessee game(the one they lost) he felt the need to always try and dribble to the basket and miss a layup. Now missing the layup understandable if it was good defense, but he wasnt the go to guy on this UK team, that role was Wall. As for Orton i think he could have developed into a good maybe great player if he stayed. I only think three Wall,Cousins, and Patterson actually get drafted.

I like him because old white people dislike him. He has never really been indicted for the problems at his program, and I am sure that UMASS and Memphis would take him back in a heart beat. When was the last time anyone mentioned UMASS in regards to college basketball?

So you think it's total coincidence that he's left his two previous schools, and almost as soon as he leaves, sanctions come down? Once, okay, I'd buy that. But at two schools? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice......

So you think it's total coincidence that he's left his two previous schools, and almost as soon as he leaves, sanctions come down? Once, okay, I'd buy that. But at two schools? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice......
Exactly just like IU and Sampson.

He never really has been indicted? He has had his final fours stripped from him for cheating!

He never really has been indicted? He has had his final fours stripped from him for cheating!

Nope, the SCHOOL had the Finals Fours stripped away......oh wait, we're just arguing semantics. But the principle stands! Calipari is a cheater, and the schools get punished for not catching and reporting him, while he goes off to make millions at another school.

All 5 are projected as top 20 picks, 4 in the lottery. Wall, Cousins, and Patterson are all seen as top ten, Bledsoe could sneak in but he's in the 11-15 range. Then Orton is said to go anywhere from like 18-24.

If a team takes Bledose in the top 15 I will laugh at said team.

Ok, just so we are all clear, let's review the sanctions and questionable practices of John Calipari and then we can debate the legitimacy of his program and perhaps begin to assess the blame and damage.
1. Marcus Camby accepts $30,000 from an agent. UMASS gets its 1996 Final 4 season vacated.
2. DaJaun Wagner's father is hired Coordinator of Basketball Operations at Memphis shortly after Wagner is recruited to Memphis in 2001. No sanctions.
3. Derrick Rose cheats on the SAT. Derrick Rose's brother is allowed to travel to games for free. Memphis gets its 2008 National Runner-Up season vacated.
4. Tyreke Evans' strength and conditioning coach is hired as Calipari's administrative assistant at Memphis in 2008. No Sanctions.
5. After taking the Kentucky job, Calipari successfully re-recruits DeMarcus Cousins and Darnell Dodson from Memphis to Kentucky. He fails to re-recruit Xavier Henry, who subsequently goes to Kansas. John Wall hadn't committed anywhere before Calipari took the Kentucky job. Daniel Orton, John Hood, and Eric Bledsoe had already signed with UK before Calipari took the job. I highly doubt that there will be any sanctions from this recruiting class.

Here's my take: Calipari doesn't actually "do" anything wrong. He didn't pay Camby or take the test for Rose. Nothing can be pinned on him at least. However, it seems that he runs a loose program. Did I miss anything?

As will I, Bledsoe and Orton do not belong in the draft.

A lot of scouts think Bledsoe can be similiar to Russell Westbrook, and he had to play out of position all year with Wall at the point. There's a lot he can improve but he does have NBA athleticism. Orton will be a first round pick too, he's got size and athleticism and lots of potential.

A lot of scouts think Bledsoe can be similiar to Russell Westbrook, and he had to play out of position all year with Wall at the point. There's a lot he can improve but he does have NBA athleticism. Orton will be a first round pick too, he's got size and athleticism and lots of potential.
Maybe in the future but both would benifit 1 or 2 more years in college, especially Orton.

Ok, just so we are all clear, let's review the sanctions and questionable practices of John Calipari and then we can debate the legitimacy of his program and perhaps begin to assess the blame and damage.
1. Marcus Camby accepts $30,000 from an agent. UMASS gets its 1996 Final 4 season vacated.
2. DaJaun Wagner's father is hired Coordinator of Basketball Operations at Memphis shortly after Wagner is recruited to Memphis in 2001. No sanctions.
3. Derrick Rose cheats on the SAT. Derrick Rose's brother is allowed to travel to games for free. Memphis gets its 2008 National Runner-Up season vacated.
4. Tyreke Evans' strength and conditioning coach is hired as Calipari's administrative assistant at Memphis in 2008. No Sanctions.
5. After taking the Kentucky job, Calipari successfully re-recruits DeMarcus Cousins and Darnell Dodson from Memphis to Kentucky. He fails to re-recruit Xavier Henry, who subsequently goes to Kansas. John Wall hadn't committed anywhere before Calipari took the Kentucky job. Daniel Orton, John Hood, and Eric Bledsoe had already signed with UK before Calipari took the job. I highly doubt that there will be any sanctions from this recruiting class.

Here's my take: Calipari doesn't actually "do" anything wrong. He didn't pay Camby or take the test for Rose. Nothing can be pinned on him at least. However, it seems that he runs a loose program. Did I miss anything?

That's a pretty good way to describe it. He doesn't directly do anything wrong, but he doesn't run a tight ship either. That tends to attract recruits.

Latest posts