Kenpom update

I do wonder what this team looks like without JBO. depth is obviously a huge problem, but Jbo isn't exactly known for his defense, and his 3 point shooting this year has been erratic.

Don't get me wrong, we're a better team with Bohannon, I'm not saying that at all. But right now would anyone be opposed to Connor/Joe getting more PG opportunities and CJ/Wieskamp getting more shots?
I really like Connor playing off the ball in terms of both defense and offense, so I hope Joe T can play 25-30 minutes at PG and Connor will have to spell the rest. Basically Connor is the second point guard on the floor that can also guard 3s and 4s right now and it’s worked well.

I’m starting to think Pat might be the spark and depth we need to keep this thing going. If he could give us a quality 10-15 minutes off the bench that could be huge. Block a shot, hit an outside shot, make a play in transition. He doesn’t have to be super high impact but just provide some quality minutes. Now the question is is he healthy and does it make sense for his career? We only have two games left in the calendar year, so he has some time to get his body right if he’s close. Seems like he practices with the team.

For those interested, here's the Big Ten Kenpom/Sagarin composite rankings as well as the Iowa Quadrant Summary. Same spreadsheet as last year for the most part. Just refreshed the queries and updated some school name changes so things flowed correctly. Also NET is still last year's final rankings. They haven't released this year's rankings yet... I'll create a new thread to start tracking these again once they do.

upload_2019-12-13_12-40-58.png

upload_2019-12-13_12-41-26.png

Representing in the conference tournament, just once, and getting to the weekend, just once, would enhance our NCAA chances tremendously.

giphy.gif

Yeah, but the computer model measure where we are now, not a prediction of the future. Cause we all know how good computer models can be. ;)

Well, if JBo does decide to shut it down, then I believe Fran should start Toussaint. This will bring our white guy to black guy variable up in the computer model. It's killing us in the formula that we start 5 white guys. Thank god we don't start any asian players...that's like a minus 3 right there.

I'm pretty sure just one black guy gets us in the KenPom top twenty.

Last edited:
Found this interesting site as well:

http://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Iowa&year=2020

Someone smarter than me needs to read it to me like I'm a kindergartner (@JG10Hawk ?) but seems to me like Iowa is currently projected to go 19-12 (11-9) and earn a 7 seed. Also has Iowa with an 86% chance to make the NCAA tournament (?!?!?!)

Correct. Team Rankings does a projection too that's pretty similar:

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/team/iowa-hawkeyes/projections

I'm sure he'd like to go big and start Kriener but that option may not be available to him.
He can definitely do that if he wants, but I don’t know why you would go away from playing small given how we’ve played thus far.

The question really becomes can Evelyn step up off the bench or does Pat return? Hard to have a lot of success only going 6 deep.

For those interested, here's the Big Ten Kenpom/Sagarin composite rankings as well as the Iowa Quadrant Summary. Same spreadsheet as last year for the most part. Just refreshed the queries and updated some school name changes so things flowed correctly. Also NET is still last year's final rankings. They haven't released this year's rankings yet... I'll create a new thread to start tracking these again once they do.

View attachment 6108

View attachment 6109

Yessss was waiting for this thanks

I forget the thresholds but I wonder if SDSU might move to Q2? I assume DePaul won't since it was a home loss

Yessss was waiting for this thanks

I forget the thresholds but I wonder if SDSU might move to Q2? I assume DePaul won't since it was a home loss
  • Quadrant 1: Home games vs NET top 30, neutral vs top 50, road vs top 75.
  • Quadrant 2: Home vs teams ranked 31-75, neutral vs 51-100, road vs 76-135.
  • Quadrant 3: Home vs teams ranked 76-160, neutral vs 101-200, road vs 136-240.
  • Quadrant 4: Home vs teams ranked 161+, neutral vs 201+, road vs 241+.

He can definitely do that if he wants, but I don’t know why you would go away from playing small given how we’ve played thus far.

The question really becomes can Evelyn step up off the bench or does Pat return? Hard to have a lot of success only going 6 deep.

I'd have to agree. Connor is playing the "point forward" position very well right now. He does play differently when JoeT is in the game as opposed to when Jordan is in the game. Moving him to point guard and starting Kreiner wouldn't be helping at all in the rotations. I, for one, think JoeT should now start, Evelyn's minutes need to increase and Till needs to get the minutes Evelyn is getting now. Keep Kreiner in the same role he is now. I've always like Pemsl's game but I think the multiple surgeries on his legs have finally caught up to him.

Since there are no NET rankings yet I was curious and used Kenpom rankings with the Quadrant criteria.

DePaul - Quad 2
Oral Roberts - 3
Texas Tech - 1
San Diego State - 1
Syracuse - 1
Michigan - 1
Minnesota - 2
ISU - 1

I’m assuming the others are 4’s...didn’t check.

• Quadrant 1: Home games vs NET top 30, neutral vs top 50, road vs top 75.
  • Quadrant 2: Home vs teams ranked 31-75, neutral vs 51-100, road vs 76-135.
  • Quadrant 3: Home vs teams ranked 76-160, neutral vs 101-200, road vs 136-240.
  • Quadrant 4: Home vs teams ranked 161+, neutral vs 201+, road vs 241+.

So SDSU is close to q2 and DePaul won't hit q2.

Would certainly like to have the DePaul game back. Home losses hurt
As nice as it would be to have the Hawks to have been playing like they NOW are and to have won that game, they weren't and they didn't. What that game did do was give them a slap upside the head and a reality check. They responded by being pissed off and doing something about it. Kudos to the TEAM and Fran! So in a way it was "a good loss".

Like I said before - FUN SEASON AHEAD!!!

I want the San Diego State game back more than that one. It would have been more fun to win that tournament and it really seems like we gave that one away.

Well, if JBo does decide to shut it down, then I believe Fran should start Toussaint. This will bring our white guy to black guy variable up in the computer model. It's killing us in the formula that we start 5 white guys. Thank god we don't start any asian players...that's like a minus 3 right there.

I'm pretty sure just one black guy gets us in the KenPom top twenty.
BYU-Iowa City Campus

Latest posts