Keno, Lick, McDerm and Franny... why does mid-major success not translate?

Compare that to what Greg did at UNI in a better conference. It's the exact same. Except UNI was traditionally worse. That's the point of the thread. Duff thinks Fran's resume blows out Greg's. It doesn't. It's the exact same!

How many conference titles did Greg win at UNI?

Not the same.

Compare that to what Greg did at UNI in a better conference. It's the exact same. Except UNI was traditionally worse. That's the point of the thread. Duff thinks Fran's resume blows out Greg's. It doesn't. It's the exact same!

Actually, Fran's resume is better. But even if it wasn't, why the heck does it matter? Fran is in year 2 of a major rebuilding project, he's already improved the program. McDermott had the talent and couldn't win. Fran has very little talent to work with until his guys get here. See the difference?

Lick had a much higher winning % coming into Iowa than Franny.
I think it's pretty clear Brad Stevens was main reason for Lick's success. He did the recruiting for Lick.

Barta messed up not digging deeper into Lick's resume and seeing what factors led to him winning there.

I think Lick was a decent coach, but it was recruiting that killed him in the Big Ten. Lick had some nice players at Butler and there are some good ones there now.

Hence. Brad Stevens was the guy who brought in the kids.

Actually, Fran's resume is better. But even if it wasn't, why the heck does it matter? Fran is in year 2 of a major rebuilding project, he's already improved the program. McDermott had the talent and couldn't win. Fran has very little talent to work with until his guys get here. See the difference?

I don't think Fran is like those guys.

I'm arguing with Duff when he says that Fran has a better resume. Winning the MAAC is different than winning the MVC. I would hope most can see that. Most people in the country couldn't tell you 3 teams from the MAAC.

Except it's not. Not to downplay what he did at UNI (because it was great) but took exactly 1 team to the NCAA's. Fran on the other hand turned an absolutely pathetic Lehigh team into a tournament team, turned a lousy UNC Greensboro team into a tournament team and then took over a Sienna team with some previous success and turned them into a perennial NCAA tournament team. What Greg did at UNI is definitely impressive but what Fran has done at 3 different schools is something very few coaches have done.

like UNI is known on the East Coast
Seinna is known on the EC
MVC is known in the Midwest
also Lick never got a Top 25 Recruiting class let alone a Top 50 recruit
face it Lick left Fran with Brommer and Archie as the inside prescence
and most of the good players either left or got ran off

Lick won 60% of games pre-Iowa... Franny won about 50% pre-Iowa. He's obviously slipped since then. I hope his plan works... I think Barta will need to make sure he's medicated so he doesn't stroke out.

I don't think Fran is like those guys.

I'm arguing with Duff when he says that Fran has a better resume. Winning the MAAC is different than winning the MVC. I would hope most can see that. Most people in the country couldn't tell you 3 teams from the MAAC.

Most people in the country wouldn't be able to name 3 MVC teams ether. The only reason you can is your in this area and 2 teams come from the state of Iowa. You really think people from the east coast know 3 teams from the MVC? Hell most people don't even know Iowa is a US state.

You have a nationally ranked recruiting class coming in next year and people are saying Fran can't get it done...really? Were one year and 9 games into it...and we got people writing Fran off already...wow

We have the greatest fans here, don't we? This can be such a downer website, I gotta say. With the arguing and fighting and the high level of negativity you definitely gotta pace yourself here.

Latest posts