KEN O'KEEFE... Mailed IT IN!

IMO it has nothing to do with running it up. It has to do with the tried and tested Ferentz strategy of not beating yourself. Tossing it across the field when you are up 17-3 is a much higher risk for a lower reward in his mind. It's not dissimilar to many Jim Tressel teams. Tresselball and Ferentzball are very similar.

I was speaking about the second quarter, Jon.

While Penn State's offense is not good at all, their defense is still pretty stingy.

They definitely stiffened up in the second half. I just thought we had them on their heels in the second quarter and we left off the gas. Came out the predictable Iowa, off-tackle 1st and 2nd down with 5-7 yd pass on 3rd down. Would have liked to see more throws on first down. The play-action was pretty effective and then we just abandoned it.

I'm sorry, Planohawk. You are an idiot.

I'll just say this up front. This will be an offensive post to Planohawk and his brethren.

Planhawk, do you think KOK is not calling the game the way KF wants it called? If you want to blame someone for not getting us more points in this game, blame KF. Who do you think calls off the dogs in these games?

But, alas, you can't blame KF. Kirk is your GOD and he does no wrong. You won't blame him because you can't.

I will not even look at what others say on this thread. I'll just let you know. This game went the way KF wanted it to go after we got up. If you want to blame KOK for anything, then you are an idiot. Note that I didn't actually call you an idiot, unless you had a stupid opinion.

That's right. The THawki that will let it rip is here tonight. If you don't recognize your dumbness/idiocy, then I will tell you about it. I can't believe I came home from the game and felt so compelled to respond to a stupid post like this.

How can anyone whine about this unless they are clueless? By the way, Planohawk, unless you understand that I am talking about you, then you are even more clueless than I thought you were.

Also, Planohawk, it has been a horrible thread because of your comments. It has not been a great thread, as I believe you tried to call it earlier in this thread.

Evidently you are clueless about college football. I guess I'm the d-bag for thinking you are the d-bag. Way to head off the normal thinking fan off at the pass by making them a d-bag if they think you are clueless.

One last thing. Before anyone dogs me on my comments, I am pretty proud of this post and I can't think of why I would want to take any of it back.

We were also the beneficiary of bad coaching/clock management at the end of the first half. I read alot from pundits and even TV guys as to how well coached Penn St is. Really? It always seems a little chaotic and disorganized on their sidelines. I have the utmost respect for JoPa but without wearing a headset it appears he is often asking his coach or coaches something or instructing them on something. I would think that would make for confusion and disruption with the flow of their game. I forget the name of the big redhead former qb but he would always have the headset half-off trying to communicate with JoPa while probably trying to speak with coaches upstairs.

And if I were a Penn St fan I would be a little po'd with punting the ball with approximately 4-5 minutes left down by two touchdowns. ??

Re: I'm sorry, Planohawk. You are an idiot.

I'll just say this up front. This will be an offensive post to Planohawk and his brethren.

Planhawk, do you think KOK is not calling the game the way KF wants it called? If you want to blame someone for not getting us more points in this game, blame KF. Who do you think calls off the dogs in these games?

But, alas, you can't blame KF. Kirk is your GOD and he does no wrong. You won't blame him because you can't.

I will not even look at what others say on this thread. I'll just let you know. This game went the way KF wanted it to go after we got up. If you want to blame KOK for anything, then you are an idiot. Note that I didn't actually call you an idiot, unless you had a stupid opinion.

That's right. The THawki that will let it rip is here tonight. If you don't recognize your dumbness/idiocy, then I will tell you about it. I can't believe I came home from the game and felt so compelled to respond to a stupid post like this.

How can anyone whine about this unless they are clueless? By the way, Planohawk, unless you understand that I am talking about you, then you are even more clueless than I thought you were.

Also, Planohawk, it has been a horrible thread because of your comments. It has not been a great thread, as I believe you tried to call it earlier in this thread.

Evidently you are clueless about college football. I guess I'm the d-bag for thinking you are the d-bag. Way to head off the normal thinking fan off at the pass by making them a d-bag if they think you are clueless.

One last thing. Before anyone dogs me on my comments, I am pretty proud of this post and I can't think of why I would want to take any of it back.

Why be a self-righteous pric*? Everyone else who disagreed with Plano's opinion was at least respectful. Apparently that's asking too much from you. Go have another beer.

Re: I'm sorry, Planohawk. You are an idiot.

First off, the "d-bag" comment that Plano made was an inside joke, referencing the Coker/redshirt thread that ended up with over 900 posts.

I'm not a guy that calls for O'Keefe's head, ever. I don't always agree with his playcalling, but nobody agrees with EVERY call an OC makes. But the second half had me about pulling my hair out. While you have a point that it's Ferentz's call on when to call off the dogs, he's not calling the plays. You can play conservatively and still move the ball. But we could have punted on 1st down for much of the 2nd half, and it wouldn't have made a difference. And it was like that's all we wanted to do. It worked out tonight, but I really worry that that will bite us in the a** eventually.

I'll tell you why I was a self rightous *ss.

Because Planohawk had a stupid take and all he did was call KOK an idiot. So I did the same to him.

He had nothing to back up his assertion in his initial post. KOK mailed it in??? Really??? I felt no need to read his further posts. He had a bad take and I let him know.

Actually, he didn't have a bad take. He was clueless, as I said.

Re: I'll tell you why I was a self rightous *ss.

Because Planohawk had a stupid take and all he did was call KOK an idiot. So I did the same to him.

He had nothing to back up his assertion in his initial post. KOK mailed it in??? Really??? I felt no need to read his further posts. He had a bad take and I let him know.

Actually, he didn't have a bad take. He was clueless, as I said.

I don't remember him calling him an "idiot". He was just questioning the play calling. If you didn't read through the thread, probably not fair to call him out on one post. MANY were questioning KOK, and why we took our foot off the gas. The game was not out of reach for PSU until late in the fourth and it would've only taken one big play for it to be too close for comfort.

I get so sick of people yelling at people for voicing their opinions... You're not a BAD fan if you disagree w/ what happens on the field. I think we should be concerned about the game today. PSU could've put 17 up in the 2nd half and took the momentum... If we continue to be stagnant on offense, what happens when we play an explosive opponent that can put up a lot of points, like Michigan or Ohio St?!?!? I'm not sayin' sling the ball all over the field, or pull out the wildcat, all im saying is we've continued to be inconsistent on offense for quite a few years now, and it's bitten us in the *** before! KOK needs to switch up the play selection and be a little more creative...

If you think the game was within reach until late in the fourth quarter, I will just say you are wrong and leave it at that.

You probably need to get more accustomed to games being out of reach even though they are not 28 point games.

If you think the game was within reach until late in the fourth quarter, I will just say you are wrong and leave it at that.

You probably need to get more accustomed to games being out of reach even though they are not 28 point games.

You can't say a game is out of reach when it's 17-3 and they have the ball... Even if they don't, 1 pick six makes it a 1 possession game and gives them the momentum! Plus what does it tell our Defense? That we're willing to sacrifice them because we're not willing to break out of the same 5 plays?!?!

C'mon man...

If you don't think momentum changes on a dime in college football then I'll just say you're wrong and leave it at that.

You probably need to watch more football to understand the effects of a big play on a game i.e. Clayborn blocked punt last year at PSU. Just think how many 14pt leads have been erased in college football in the 4th quarter b/c of momentum changes from a single play in just one year. Not to mention that we were facing a top 25 team loaded with talent. See how stupid you sound.

You can't say a game is out of reach when it's 17-3 and they have the ball... Even if they don't, 1 pick six makes it a 1 possession game and gives them the momentum! Plus what does it tell our Defense? That we're willing to sacrifice them because we're not willing to break out of the same 5 plays?!?!

C'mon man...

Exactly! If the game was out of reach you would have seen 2nd stringers in there. Not the case.

When Iowa went up 17-0, and the defense playing the way it was playing against a mediocre Penn State offense, I think Iowa closed ranks and just kept it simple. No surprise and no qualms with it. Some folks act like they are going to watch a Kirk Ferments coached Iowa team one week and just watch them come out and change everything they have done that has let them be successful for more than a decade.

This is who they want to be, and it works.

Totally agree.

The pathetic cry babies here would rather watch a replay of a wild arena football game than a methodical and smartly played game by the Hawkeyes.

This game was over after the 1st quarter. Provided we didn't give up a turn over Penn State had zero chance. The play calling the rest of the way reflected that. Had Penn State made it a one score game I'm sure we would have opened it up again, but they didn't and we didn't.

It's pretty amazing that some of you guys cant figure out whats going on, or realize you look clueless when you rail on KoK for a conservative 2nd half game plan.

If you want to root for an Iowa team that runs a wide open offensive attack and puts up points go root for ISU they put up 50+ last night. You aren't going to get as many W's but your are going to see points if that's whats really important to you.

Maybe I missed this but do we know why Coker or Rogers didn't play?

Because we were inside our own 30 for much of the night and we don't want a TF or a guy limited time at HB in a position where a fumble gives PSU points or a missed blitz pickup gets our QB killed?

You know you have a good program when the fans complain about a 24-3 beat=down against a ranked Penn State team.

We'll have to open it up against Michigan to win that game. Michigan will score some points against Iowa with that offense.

This game was over after the 1st quarter. Provided we didn't give up a turn over Penn State had zero chance. The play calling the rest of the way reflected that. Had Penn State made it a one score game I'm sure we would have opened it up again, but they didn't and we didn't.

It's pretty amazing that some of you guys cant figure out whats going on, or realize you look clueless when you rail on KoK for a conservative 2nd half game plan.

If you want to root for an Iowa team that runs a wide open offensive attack and puts up points go root for ISU they put up 50+ last night. You aren't going to get as many W's but your are going to see points if that's whats really important to you.

I was going to write a lengthy post, but I think you sum it up rather well.

Folks, the proof is in the final score. PSU didn't score a touchdown! Holy cow some people are whiners. If any of us were asked before the game if we'd be satisfied with a 24-3 score, who amongst us would say "ahh, that KOK?"

We did get super conservative, and it can be frustrating at times. However, we didn't open the door for PSU to win the game by fumbling or throwing an INT. I'd rather win 24-3 than 31-17...

Latest posts