Keith Murphy's interview with Chris Doyle

MikeyLikesIowa

Definitely going to listen to this when I get home. Thanks for posting.

Just so everyone's on the same page...

This subject was one that caused this board to explode back in 2020 and I don't want to see that again. I'm leaving this one on the football board for everyone to see, but it needs to stay civil. If you would like to discuss the social, racial, or other aspects of Doyle's response or the topic in general, show respect to the rules and start a thread in OT Open please. You guys have all been great about using the OT boards when appropriate and I hope that continues.

Anyone know what happened with Dochterman's piece that got axed?

New York Times get nervous about some push back from U of I counsel, potential violations of a separation agreement, etc?

No idea, but it must have been something....

I thought it was an incredible interview. If you’ve been a fan of the Hawks for years you should check it out. I had mixed opinions about what probably happened with him but I don’t anymore. Looks to me like he’s innocent of the allegations and we lost a great strength coach.

The most unfortunate thing to me about the whole situation is how his long time friendship w/ Kirk was destroyed. Obviously I do not know the ins and outs of exactly what happened so clearly speculating here because chris did not say this but i imagine he feels as though Kirk did not fight for him and that greatly offended him. If you know you're innocent i can see how that would absolutely cut to the core.

I assume he's innocent of racism and guilty as hell on being an asshole. I haven't listened yet but I'm definitely going to.

I found the interview repetitive and boring. It felt like the interviewer kept asking the same question over and over 5 different ways.

With that said, it was clear Doyle denied strongly that he ever used racist language as strength coach. On the other hand, Doyle admitted he has had time for self-reflection and there is at least a small level of remorse from Doyle about the way he treated people as a demanding coach.

Couple strange things he said, Doyle said that he has not talked to Kirk Ferentz since June 2020. Also Doyle said he does not watch any Iowa football games.

I assume he's innocent of racism and guilty as hell on being an asshole. I haven't listened yet but I'm definitely going to.
I think there can be some racism without being overt and that’s likely what happened. It’s pretty apparent that black players didn’t like the way they were treated and the attrition was a lot more with black players. I doubt it was intentional racism, but what I didn’t think was genuine was that he totally refused to acknowledge that part or even the possibility of it. To Doyle it seems like he thinks since he never said the n-word it means he never brought race into the equation. That’s a pretty weak argument.

To me it looks like he’s guilty of being a gigantic overreacting asshole (which he admits to) who was way more of an asshole to black players (which he refuses to even address). Then he plays the “I even have a black friend” card with Braithwaite over and over.

Latest posts