Keeler: Iowa is an 8-4 Program

They sold all the season tickets in 2010. They will not sell them all next year. I guarantee you. Barta is laughing at all of us who are paying Cadillac prices for a Cavalier. Sure, Cadillac got away with it for awhile, but eventually the market realized the Cimarron was just a Cavalier with a Cadillac name plate. Now there's nothing wrong with a Cavalier, it was a damn fine car, but it wasn't worth the extra cash that it cost when they put a Cadillac hood ornament on it. That is Iowa football in a nutshell, Cadillac prices for a low end Chevy. Gets the job done and might surprise you every now and then, but it still ain't really a Caddy.

I bet you they do.

I'm okay with an "average" season of 8-4, knowing that 10-2 every several years will occur, and that 9-3 is very possible any given year. I'll take it.

Michigan football "took it to the next level" when they let go of Carr. That level was much, much lower. Now they have to figure out whether DickRod will get it done.

I honestly believe that Iowa can be very, very good the next couple of years, and that this very bitter year will be just a memory. Hope springs eternal.

The difference between last year and this year solely rests on execution. Obviously we ran the same offense with pretty much the same caliber of players. Last year we made the play. This year we didn't. It is pretty much that simple.

I don't know if that's as accurate as it might seem on the surface. Bulaga, Angerer, and Spievey are NFL starters. I think we really miss them. Also, we had significant injuries at key positions this year (o line and LB). We all ASSUMED that Iowa was going to be great this year, but an honest assessment of this year's team, versus last year's team, is warranted.

I don't know if that's as accurate as it might seem on the surface. Bulaga, Angerer, and Spievey are NFL starters. I think we really miss them. Also, we had significant injuries at key positions this year (o line and LB). We all ASSUMED that Iowa was going to be great this year, but an honest assessment of this year's team, versus last year's team, is warranted.

I agree with you. Also don't forget Edds. I know you only listed the NFL starters, but he was a perfect LB for NP.

Nice dig at Alford. Alford has matured and I would take him back in a heartbeat.

As for Iowa football, my main beef is that our season ticket prices should be more in line with NU level programs than the UM/OSU/PSU level programs because last time I checked, NU's win-loss record during the Fitz regime is pretty close to Iowa's. I know I haven't ranted about it forever, but I'm still steaming about ticket prices relative to the product following the stadium renovations at the end of the 2004 season. The Hawks have been very mediocre with one great year where we made a lot of great plays in close games. $700+ for one season ticket between the 20s and 40s is a joke and after this season, I think the Athletic Department is going to have to do some Ron Guenther type book cooking (free tickets to Cub Scouts, etc.) to fill the seats in the lower tier games due to this pricing regime. I think the fan base is pretty loyal, but over $100 a pop for decent tickets and the average team we have seen post Project Ticket Gouge could alienate the fans, especially in this economy. I obviously don't expect the Hawks to win every game, but we're paying prices that were set when the boys were coming off three consecutive 10 win seasons and I think the guys buying tickets should be treated at least 9 or 10 Ws as the norm, rather than a bunch of 6 or 7 win seasons with a few treats sprinkled on top of the turds.

Hayden >>>>> KF.

Aww Ralphie....I'd pay $700/season just for the honor of seeing you seven Saturdays out of the year.

He is right... my take all along has been that isn't good enough given the investment we have in the program.

Bruce - what is YOUR investment in the program.

I stopped reading this thread after reading your comment. I hope Joe Iowa Fan isn't represented by the dimness observed on this board.

I agree with his premise. Iowa is a second tier program. That's not a bad thing. Auburn and Oregon are both second tier programs. There are so many variables that can change a game/season but I would expect the average season to be somewhere around 8 or 9 wins.

By the way, I don't believe iowa is "one coach away having the same fate as the basketball team" It would literally take the death penalty to get Iowa to that level. They simply have too many resources in football to fall that far. They have the money to hire a bad coach, eat the contract and pay another coach very well. They continue to poor money into the program to ensure Iowa has top notch facilities. There aren't 25 better coaching jobs for a college football coach than at Iowa which means there will always be a long list of coaches who would love to have the job.

In 12 years, we have had four 10+ win seasons and another 9-win season where the breaks went against us in the close games, and you could pretty much ignore the first three years because Kirk was still building the program.

Since 2002, here are our records:
11-2
10-3
10-2
7-5
6-7
6-6
9-4
11-2
7-5

You might say I'm cherry-picking the record, but that is 9 out of KF's 12 years as our coach. That's the majority of his time here at little Ole Iowa.

This year was a horrible disappointment. I know you won't always win the close games, but there is no excuse for not beating Minnesota and being at LEAST 8-4. And other than the "fat cat" years of the mid 2000's, we have been more of a 9-10 win program.

To those who say last year shouldn't have been 11-2... REALLY? Who did we luck out against other than MSU maybe? Ok, UNI.. But typically we win that game comfortably. I can't explain our subpar play at home last year, but that is not typical of us. We beat Wisconsin and PSU by double digits on the road, and had a great shot at OSU in the shoe. "Lucky" teams don't just do that. And let's not forget that one of our losses came out home against NW when our starting QB got hurt, and we had to rely on a QB who basically had never played. I just don't think that last year was quite as "lucky" as some people think.

Again, look at our record since Kirk got the program going. Lots of 9-10-11 win seasons in there.

To say we are no more than an 8-4 program and to just "deal with it", I think is selling the program short a little bit after the past decade. That doesn't mean we should just take it for granted though. This still is the best run of football we've had in a long time, if ever. But I think our ceiling is a little higher than just hoping for 8-4 every year.

Doesn't it seem likes Kirk's success goes in spurts of 3? 99, 00, 01-not so good; 02,03,04-really good; 05,06,07-not good; 08,09,10-of course 2010 wasn't good, but we should have been based on the talent we had.

Our fans are ridiculous...bar none we have the CRAZIEST fans in the Big 10...wow.
Here is a comment from Keeler's article:
"So what you are saying is that Iowa football is a 8-4 program that if lucky might end up at 10-2 but 6-6 is ok. Are you serious???!!!! No matter how much us the fans, who btw put our money and time into this program, criticize and try to hold the leadership accountable, nothing’s ever going to change because the Hawkeyes are what they are and Ferentz is not going the make any changes so we should all forget about it. Iowa should be privileged to be even in the same conference as Ohio St? Is this what you are saying?!? Are you even an Iowa fan? This is something an Ohio St. fan would write!

This is exactly what is wrong with Iowa football and some of its fans – entrenched MEDIOCRACY. STOP IT NOW!!! The goal is to WIN the Big Ten title and go to the Rose Bowl EVERY YEAR! The goal is to WIN not play to loose. You have got to have a winning mentality in order to win. Just like the players are held accountable when they underperform, the coaches need to be held accountable for not doing what is expected from them especially when they are paid $3.675 mil. The Hawkeyes have been outcoached one too many times in the past and something needs to be done about it.

If you mr. Keeler have a problem with Tom Davis, you need to address him personaly by writing to him directly. Or you can start your own personal blog and write whatever crap you feel like writing. Your lack of objectivity is incredible."

Buddy, hate to break it to you...but you want to win big 10 titles every year? it's about the bros and the joes....and OSU..will ALWAYS have more talent at every position then we do...sure we might have a better starter....but OSU has guys at 3rd string that would be playing for us. The depth is what sets these programs apart...I agree whole heartedly with Keeler...In some sad, sick part of me...I almost want Barta to get rid of Ferentz or for Kirk to leave...and watch out football program tank through the floor like our bball program...it would show alot of people alot of things.

I feel like I agree spot on with what Keeler is saying....and the dolt that wrote that comment...keeler wasn't putting down Tom Davis....you moron. it's probably somebody from one of these boards.

Wow. You've completely changed my mind. I see it now. Iowa cannot compete with OSU/Michigan/Penn State/Nebraska. In fact, we have no business competing with Wisc/Minn/MSU, etc either. They are all far bigger schools than we are. We are CRAZY. What a bunch of dolts we are thinking that we could compete...

Since we are doomed to be incapable of competing, we might as well just give up. What are we thinking - paying top money to KF to guide a program that has no chance to succeed? There is NO WAY we can consistantly compete for BigTen championships. We were stupid think that we could. Thanks for clearing that up...

If the average recorded of an Iowa team is 8-4 we should all be very happy. Not to many programs can say that. With an average of 8-4 there will be may 10-2's and 9-3's. That doesn't even include the bowl wins. 10-2 with a bowl is pretty damn good.

Very few programs, very few can have continued success above 8-4. They have significant advantages to programs like Iowa (location, population, tradition, etc.) They reality is some of those programs that were better than 8-4 programs no longer are (e.g. Nebby and FSU).

An 8-4 average is not only not good enough for what Ferentz is getting paid, we are an 8-4 that relies far too often on the other team screwing up rather than just beating the **** out of people.

An 8-4 average would be a lot more acceptable if Ferentz was getting paid a lot less.

If we didn't have to block two field goals or have an opposing receiving on a horrible football team drop the game winning TD pass at least once every season.

If we didn't have to stumble into a great victory because the coaches, after all these years together, still can't figure out the fundamentals of clock management.

If the team didn't roll over at the end of a year every few years like they did against Western Michigan and Minnesota.

If he could figure out how to get the most out of ALL phases of the game, and not just one or two.

Bruce - what is YOUR investment in the program.

I stopped reading this thread after reading your comment. I hope Joe Iowa Fan isn't represented by the dimness observed on this board.

What is my investment?

I'm sorry but are you an idiot?

We are all invested in one way or another. I am an alumni, I am a donor, I travel to Iowa City several times a year to see the game.

Come on dude.

Wow, is this for real?

We are expected to resign ourselves to 8-4 seasons and that's OK?
That's not what I watch Iowa for.

And we are expected to believe that KF is the only man for the job?
I don't want to see KF go; but to think that he is the beginning and the end of Iowa football is ridiculus.

Look no further than Oregon, or to a lesser extent, Nebraska.

None of these programs were born winners and niether have a great instate talent pool.

I won't drink this cool-aid and I never will.

Iowa can be better than an 8-4 program and I resent the notion of anyone saying that it can't; I can't believe that this ******** came from an Hawkeye website from someone other than a poster.

I don't think his premise is flawed but I personally have higher expectations of the program. I feel like the staff has to re-evaluate how they are coaching. Football is cyclical and I felt like our defense had caught up to the spread teams but that obviously didn't show this season.
If the staff can self scout and attack its own flaws as well as they coach up their players 8-4 should be the floor. Iowa is recruiting at a higher level and hitting on more of its targets sooner than it has in the earlier part of the decade. That improved talent level means they must adjust to their own talent level, raise their own expectations, and they must trust their athletes to make more plays. Iowa's defense forced opponents into mistakes in '09. The '10 defense just didn't have that in them for a variety of reasons.

Wow, is this for real?

We are expected to resign ourselves to 8-4 seasons and that's OK?
That's not what I watch Iowa for.

And we are expected to believe that KF is the only man for the job?
I don't want to see KF go; but to think that he is the beginning and the end of Iowa football is ridiculus.

Look no further than Oregon, or to a lesser extent, Nebraska.

None of these programs were born winners and niether have a great instate talent pool.

I won't drink this cool-aid and I never will.

Iowa can be better than an 8-4 program and I resent the notion of anyone saying that it can't; I can't believe that this ******** came from an Hawkeye website from someone other than a poster.

Have you been to Oregon...or seen their facilities online?? What recruit wouldn't want to go to Nike U....they can recruit from anywhere.
and Nebraska...is well...Nebraska....Their fans are like ours X100....what did they have 300 straight sellouts?? makes our 70 something look bad...They are the only show in town literally....no Nebraska State to deal with....I'm not saying you're totally wrong...but your claims are totally wrong....nebraska and oregon are not good examples.

Latest posts