KCRG (Cedar Rapids) denied NFL Network for Insight Bowl

I have been (back) with Mediacom for 3 years now. Every year or so they try to increase me from the "introductry rate" and I argue and they lower it. I have had all 3 services, no way they can remotely match prices. I'd love to be proven wrong.

"Mediacom's frequent outages?" - I guess I have personally never experienced any. Unless you are counted the Fox / Big Ten network debacles...

If you have the persuasive power to keep getting locked into the introductory pricing, that's obviously to your benefit. Not everyone will be able to do that.

My experience is that Mediacom's standard pricing is higher than that of equivalent Dish packages - although that can be tough to determine, given how confusing each company likes to make their offerings.

With cable, I think the frequency of outages depends a lot on where you live. I had Mediacom for a couple years while living in a new development and had monthly, if not weekly outages that ranged from hours to days. And the internet outages were much worse than that. With satellite, you don't have to worry about the a backhoe cutting through a bundle of cable 3 blocks away.

It amazes me that people still have cable or digital cable...Why deny yourself the pleasure of DirecTV? one of the best things to come out of the last decade is DirecTV...Its like cable is a VHS and DirecTV is whatever is coming after Blu-Ray
I have had both Direc TV and DISH network. Dish network is a gajillion times better in picture quality and light years ahead in equiptment.

So I guess I am one of those who deny myself of the pleasure of DirecTV. only because I am imbibing in the super duper ultra pleasure of Dish Network.

So your actual Mediacom bill a month is around $100 then not the $65 you posted earlier? Yes it would be $65 for internet and cable.

Negative. I pay $65 for Cable (HBO, Starz, HD box) and internet TOTAL. No mas senior. I really havent had to be too persuasive. Tho I am a charmer.

I do not understand this talk of cleaning the dish off. My parents live in NW IA, they get a lot of snow, but they have never had to clean off the dish in over 10 years. I live in the QCA and also have never needed to clean of the dish.

I do not understand this talk of cleaning the dish off. My parents live in NW IA, they get a lot of snow, but they have never had to clean off the dish in over 10 years. I live in the QCA and also have never needed to clean of the dish.

Agree. I have never once had to remove any snow/ice from my dish.

We are close to 8 inches of snow here thus far and no problems at all.

I disagree 100%.

Well, DirecTV has a class-action (possibly several) now against them for various things, including being completely underhanded in extending people's contracts.

If you don't have any issues, DirecTV is fine. But if they had to come out and replace a piece of equipment? Prepare to bend over until they change their tactics.

If I want Hi-Def, Local Channels, as well as all the regular Dish channels how many dishes do I need to make this happen?

I've had Dish for just over 2 years now, and I've only got one dish set up for all of the above. HD, locals in HD, etc.

As for Dish's customer service, I've had few problems, and when I did, they were able to correct it pretty painlessly. That isn't to say that could change down the road; after all, DirecTV's customer service was pretty good until recently - basically, it went to crap after they were sold to Liberty Media.

Last edited:

The snow and ice can stick to the dish and interfere with the signal a little bit, but a trick I was told that does work because I used it on my dish is to spray the dish with a cooking spray like Pam or a generic brand. It creates a slick surface that the ice and snow can't stick to.

Latest posts