KCRG (Cedar Rapids) denied NFL Network for Insight Bowl

SPGroth

KCRG just reported that they asked the NFL Network for permission to televise the NFL Network to show the Insigh.com Bowl. This request was denied. When they inquired when WOI in Des Moines was granted permission, they were told it was because WOI is in the home area of the Cyclones.

DirecTV makes all your wildest dreams come true

It amazes me that people still have cable or digital cable...Why deny yourself the pleasure of DirecTV? one of the best things to come out of the last decade is DirecTV...Its like cable is a VHS and DirecTV is whatever is coming after Blu-Ray

I have mediacom (which sucks) I had Direct tv which was better, but climbing on the roof everytime we got more than 2in of snow or some ice was enough to make me switch back to cable. Lose lose situatuion I guess.

Don't (and I repeat DON'T) put the dish on your roof. I have DirecTV for almost 2 years now. Dish in the yard, 5 feet tall and easy to remove any snow, etc. on the rare occasion that it causes any interference.

The real issue isn't satellite versus cable. It is primarily the local channels that are wanting to charge the providers (satellite and cable) high $$$ to carry their programming that over the air is free. It's a tough situation but the local channels know that it is in the best interest of the providers to have local content if they want to maintain their subscriber base. It's all about the $$$ (like most things in life these days).

I have mediacom (which sucks) I had Direct tv which was better, but climbing on the roof everytime we got more than 2in of snow or some ice was enough to make me switch back to cable. Lose lose situatuion I guess.

There is one bad thing about DirecTV though...

Good luck if you have a problem. Those people don't know what they're doing and WILL try to screw you.

I solved the problem when snow interferes with the signal. I own an aluminum extension pole that extends to 20 feet. I put a brush on the end of the pole. I just wade through the snow to the side of the house with the dish and reach up and brush it off.

Since I switched to a HD satellite I have not lost a signal yet. Even during the massive storm two weeks ago. Directv has the best sports programming by far. Next season I will have the Sunday ticket.

I've had Dish Network since '97...Love it! They have damn near EVERY channel in HD, including local channels. As for losing service, very, very rarely.
I have the dish installed on the SIDE of my back garage (neighbors side of course) and the only time I had to clear it off was a few years ago during the New Years Day ice storm.

Last edited:
There is one bad thing about DirecTV though...

Good luck if you have a problem. Those people don't know what they're doing and WILL try to screw you.

I disagree 100%.

Directv has been awesome, I have saved more $ going with them than anyone I know with Dish or cable.

My $250 credit just ended, I actually have to pay a bill this month...of course I still have free DVR service, $15/month off and 3 additional free months of premiuim stations.

I've had Dish Network since '97...Love it! They have damn near EVERY channel in HD, including local channels. As for losing service, very, very rarely.
I have the dish installed on the SIDE of my back garage (neighbors side of course) and the only time I had to clear it off was a few years ago during the New Years Day ice storm.

I have also had Dish since '96, or '97 (right when it came out) and love it. I never lose signal to snow, but have lost signal a couple times during really bad thunderstorms (for a very short time).

The HD channels are awesome, and I can barely watch non HD content anymore. I just don't see why anyone would go cable when the technology is already light years behind either satellite provider, and sliding further behind all the time. They will never have the bandwidth to keep up with HD technology.

I disagree 100%.

Directv has been awesome, I have saved more $ going with them than anyone I know with Dish or cable.

My $250 credit just ended, I actually have to pay a bill this month...of course I still have free DVR service, $15/month off and 3 additional free months of premiuim stations.

I guess it's just who we got, then. I got HD from a source outside of DirecTV a couple of years ago which worked out great at first, until DTV started billing me for the service when I didn't even get it from them. When I called them and spent literally like four hours on the phone with them on hold and talking to people that had no clue what was going on, I thought I had the issue resolved until three months later when the same charge was put on my bill. I repeated the process again of calling them, but like clockwork the charge appeared on my bill for the third time a couple months later. The last time I called I found out that they never did anything for me and since the bill hadn't been paid I had been sent to collections. It's not really the money that makes me upset but the hours spent on the phone with complete morons that gets me gonig.

I don't understand why satellite is supposedly the end all be all for television, I live in an apartment on the second floor, I don't have anywhere to put a dish if I got the service and even then it has to point south not be obstructed etc. etc. I have a friend that has DirecTV and every time i've attempted to watch tv at his house during a storm or windy day the signal has either gone completely out or isn't as good as normal. I understand that you get HD and all this stuff but I can't believe that its like having Blu-Ray over DVD, obviously Blu-Ray will replace DVD in the future just as DVD replaced VHS. Satellite has been around for 10+ years and it has yet to push out cable for the exact reasons i've stated above. Although the recent issues with Mediacom and Sinclair made me take a look at satellite its not enough to make me want to deal with the hassle of having a dish and everything that comes with it. JMO.

Latest posts