Katz says he thinks Iowa

Needs 1 win if not 2 in BTT.
Thoughts?

Sure, here are my thoughts....

1. Andy Katz loves him some Alford
2. Ever since Alford was forced out, Katz has always taken it upon himself to disparage Iowa.
3. So given #1 & #2, it doesn't surprise me that Andy said what he said.

I think if we lose to NW, we could be on the bubble.... probably still get in but I think as long as we beat NW, we are in for sure.

Lunardi has us as an 8 today. Nebraska is an 11. That means at least 12 if not 15 teams would have to pass Iowa to put them at risk.....not happening.

If Iowa beats NW, I've got to believe they're in. And if you believe Joe Lunardi, it doesn't matter what happens. A win over MSU or anything beyond that would be seeding gravy..

IMO, a win over NW and a loss to MSU doesn't really move the needle.

I don't want to test the theory by losing to NW, though.

Sure, here are my thoughts....

1. Andy Katz loves him some Alford
2. Ever since Alford was forced out, Katz has always taken it upon himself to disparage Iowa.
3. So given #1 & #2, it doesn't surprise me that Andy said what he said.

My thoughts exactly.

If Iowa beats NW, I've got to believe they're in. And if you believe Joe Lunardi, it doesn't matter what happens. A win over MSU or anything beyond that would be seeding gravy..

IMO, a win over NW and a loss to MSU doesn't really move the needle.

I don't want to test the theory by losing to NW, though.

Agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

Last edited:
Guess it deepends on what context he said this in. Do we need it just because we need it? Yes. Do we need it to get in the tourney? No.

Guess it deepends on what context he said this in. Do we need it just because we need it? Yes. Do we need it to get in the tourney? No.

Exactly.. I'm really blown away by those that think Iowa isn't in? That is just wierd. Iowa has 9 or 10 days to prepare for the Dance and the Conference Tourny to get assist with getting us out of the funk we in. GO HAWKS!

IOWA A LOCK!!!

I dont understand why people say Iowa is on the bubble and need wins. The committee has said games are all equally evaluated so games in November mean just as much as games in February and March. There is no looking at the last 10 game anymore.
So lets look at Iowa's resume. 20-11(9-9) which is the same as last year but Iowa's resume is better when you look beyond the record. First look at the wins, Michigan win is probably better than any win Iowa had last year, at Ohio State is better than any road win last year, besting Xavier on a neutral court is a nice win, hell even the Minnesota and UTEP wins carry some weight.
Now lets look at the losses, Indiana and Illinois are the worst losses but both teams are in the top 100 RPI, last year the worst losses were Nebraska and Va Tech both in the 100's for RPI. So that makes the resume better.
And finally lets look at everything as a whole, RPI of 39 according to ESPN, a whole 30-40 spots better than last year! So if Iowa is 20-11 (9-9) with an RPI of 39 that is a tournament team with a couple great wins, some nice wins and no losses to teams worse than RPI of 100, which all the bubble teams have. Taking the hawkeye goggles off that is a tourney resume.

We need to beat Northwestern and play up to our capabilities. I'm more concerned about that right now than anything else. This team needs to start playing hard again. Our defense the past 6 games has been abysmal in every respect

I don't trust the committee. Would not surprise me if they passed on Iowa should they lose to Northwestern.

So.....the Hawks need to beat Northwestern.

Not this again...

The NCAA committee looks at the entire season. Long debunked are the myths of "hot teams down the stretch" getting in ahead of better teams. Even on the BTN selection show the former head of the tournament selection committee said that it simply is not true. November wins are every bit as important as March wins.

Maybe if Iowa lost to Northwestern on Thursday and 5 teams win their conference tourneys who wouldn't have made it in as an at-large (think Purdue winning the BTT, Boston College winning the ACC tournament, Texas Tech winning the Big 12 Tournament, Butler winning the Big East Tournament, and Temple winning the American Tournament). If all those things happened maybe you could consider Iowa a bubble team that might not get in.

Iowa is in the NCAA tournament...the end.

If Kats thinks we need to win 2 to get in....what the heck is he saying about Minnesota? No chance in hell?

Iowa is in but needs to hammer NW just to get back on some sort of track.

Latest posts