Kakert previews Iowa football

Everyone always skips over the fact that the reason the offense is bad and the defense is so good is part of KF's overall philosophy. He believes in winning by coaching his players to not make mistakes and counting on the other team to be worse at executing. Tough D, tough running, control the clock, grind out a win 20 to 13. KF is not going to change his stripes now and I would not expect much of a rebirth on the offense.

I have said this before, but there is a direct connection between the success of the defense and the lack thereof on the offense. If KF switched to a spread attack and opened things up, they would turn the ball over more, score more, and control the ball less. All of that would have a negative impact upon the defense. Phil Parker is a very good DC, but he is the beneficiary of teams knowing that they don't need to score 30 points to beat Iowa. So, they game plan accordingly. Iowa is good at forcing teams to play Iowa's style.

Given how few plays Iowa runs on offense compared to spread teams, being the 60th best offense would actually be pretty good.

Agreed,
but we can be hopeful either way. I also agree with your assessment of not expecting dramatic improvement. Still, we can hope.

But there is a reason they brought in that non-paid ex-Wisky, ex Colorado St coach. They realizes they are lacking on the offensive side of the ball. I think KF at least sees the writing on the wall if the offense has another crappy year. If that happens and Iowa finishes in the bottom of the BIG or 80 plus in offense after this season, it's going to get pretty uncomfortable for the program.

I do think the offense will be better. Partially because it can't be much worse. But, more that my eyes did see spurts of competency out of the offense last year, they just could not maintain drives. I think the OL will be more consistent and the running game will be better with bigger backs who don't lose yards. Goodson was a very talented back, but he lost yards too often, and Iowa's offense was not good enough to overcome 2nd and 13. Petras has weapons and an arm and I think will be much more effective with a running game that is consistent and downhill.

If Iowa can literally be average on offense. Seriously, like 60th in the country, this team could be really good.

I listened to an interesting podcast this morning where the podcaster was reviewing Iowa 2022. He delved into some interesting stats from last year as far as specific offensive rankings. Iowa was horrible at sustaining long drives last year. Iowa had a decent record playing a, what many would say, an unimpressive schedule.

What saved Iowa last year was the defensive turnovers Iowa created leading to a short field for Iowa and leading to points, if not scoring pts for the team themselves. That same production can't be relied on for this year and Iowa plays a much tougher schedule. Fan's can't expect that same kind of defensive production and Iowa football staff certainly can't rely on that for success.

Last edited:
Everyone always skips over the fact that the reason the offense is bad and the defense is so good is part of KF's overall philosophy. He believes in winning by coaching his players to not make mistakes and counting on the other team to be worse at executing. Tough D, tough running, control the clock, grind out a win 20 to 13. KF is not going to change his stripes now and I would not expect much of a rebirth on the offense.

I have said this before, but there is a direct connection between the success of the defense and the lack thereof on the offense. If KF switched to a spread attack and opened things up, they would turn the ball over more, score more, and control the ball less. All of that would have a negative impact upon the defense. Phil Parker is a very good DC, but he is the beneficiary of teams knowing that they don't need to score 30 points to beat Iowa. So, they game plan accordingly. Iowa is good at forcing teams to play Iowa's style.

Given how few plays Iowa runs on offense compared to spread teams, being the 60th best offense would actually be pretty good.

What you say is true. Fans need to be careful what they wish for. KF isn't going to change now.

They tried to change and become a little more open when they brought Greg Davis in. They tried to evolve their offense but it just backfired and set the team back for several years. They lost their identity a bit in those years. There was this feeling of "lost" on offense it seemed for years.

People need to think about he collateral damage. It's not that easy to change when you have an identity. It's also not easy to change when trying to change your blocking assignments or having a completely different philosophy for how you teach blocking. If you bring in a running or scrambling QB, that completely blows up your blocking game, unless for designed rollouts. Scrambling QB's make KF sweat and stay up at night. He likes consistency and that is what zone blocking and a pocket for the passer bring. He ain't gunna change.

Right now Iowa is known for developing players, getting players into the NFL (Top 10), including 3 star and lower at times. Iowa's main recruiting pitch is getting players in the NFL and NFL ready right away to contribute. Iowa is also known as TE U. What happens if you completely change your offense and open it up? Does Iowa lose some of the OL and TE players getting to the NFL? Do they then lose that recruiting advantage and notoriety they have nationally as far as getting players to the league. Maybe going more of a spread lessens the TE use. My boys HS team doesn't really designate a TE on offense.

I'm not saying I don't want things to get better at Iowa, but people need to be careful what they wish for as there is potential collateral damage and risks with drastic change, if changing the identify of the team.

It is sad when we have to hope for being in the top sixty on offense. Our facilities are awesome, our fan base is awesome, our head coach has been in the top ten in salary several years and in the top twenty forever.

There really isn’t an excuse other than the coaching mindset and philosophy on offense. We have a tendency as fans to point fingers at our offensive coordinators like we did Davis. Davis ain’t here anymore.

If Iowa went to a spread offense and started to air things out then the recruits who have those abilities would be more interested in playing for Iowa. They would come play for a Big Ten school. Great facility, Great fan base, but a stagnant extremely conservative offensive scheme.

I get what you are saying because even finishing sixtieth is an improvement, yet it is so underwhelming and boring and sometimes painful to watch.

Kirk could retire tomorrow and ride off into the sunset a very, very, wealthy man. He has utterly nothing to lose by experimenting with his offense. Hell his defense will keep him in games regardless of how hapless his offense is. WE ALL KNOW THAT FOR A FACT.

So what gives?????
Last years offensive 303.7 YPG was the lowest in the Ferentz era, with the exception of his first year - 1999 @ 300.3 YPG.

Iowa FB Media Guide 2022

Funny, one of the responses to the story touted Nebraska to "finally beat Iowa and win the West", the comments after were just as funny supporting this theory. Dream Big Nebraska! 30 transfers can't be wrong. Right?
My theory is that Nebraska could beat Iowa every year, but Frost knows better. The last coach to beat Iowa was fired because of it.

What you say is true. Fans need to be careful what they wish for. KF isn't going to change now.

They tried to change and become a little more open when they brought Greg Davis in. They tried to evolve their offense but it just backfired and set the team back for several years. They lost their identity a bit in those years. There was this feeling of "lost" on offense it seemed for years.

People need to think about he collateral damage. It's not that easy to change when you have an identity. It's also not easy to change when trying to change your blocking assignments or having a completely different philosophy for how you teach blocking. If you bring in a running or scrambling QB, that completely blows up your blocking game, unless for designed rollouts. Scrambling QB's make KF sweat and stay up at night. He likes consistency and that is what zone blocking and a pocket for the passer bring. He ain't gunna change.

Right now Iowa is known for developing players, getting players into the NFL (Top 10), including 3 star and lower at times. Iowa's main recruiting pitch is getting players in the NFL and NFL ready right away to contribute. Iowa is also known as TE U. What happens if you completely change your offense and open it up? Does Iowa lose some of the OL and TE players getting to the NFL? Do they then lose that recruiting advantage and notoriety they have nationally as far as getting players to the league. Maybe going more of a spread lessens the TE use. My boys HS team doesn't really designate a TE on offense.

I'm not saying I don't want things to get better at Iowa, but people need to be careful what they wish for as there is potential collateral damage and risks with drastic change, if changing the identify of the team.
Spot on.

Iowa's offense can be good enough. This is the same offense that Beatherd led to the Big Ten Championship Game and we were a yard from making the playoffs. The offense was wicked good with Banks and the best OL in history. The offense was plenty dangerous with Drew Tate at the helm. AmeriStanzi could also put points on the board.

It is not the system or philosophy that is the problem. The problem to me seems to be 3 fold: First, our OL recruiting for a couple cycles around 2019 was bad. We really missed (which is why we don't have a ton of upper classman OL), or we hit too awesome and they left for the NFL (Lindy). That problem seems to be righting itself, as the OL as a whole this year is bigger, deeper and more experienced than last year. Second, we missed our QB recruiting analysis. Look, Petras was a 4 star kid and sought after, but so far he has not lived up to that potential. He still has a chance to get better and I think will if the OL/running game improves. Finally, BF is not a creative and talented enough OC to overcome the first two issues.

Latest posts