Kaevon Merriweather Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
No guilt from fans who have been supporting a racist program for multiple years?

I have stewed on this post for awhile. Guilt. That is a powerful word. Should the press feel guilty? I believe so. I have been one on here that has always said we have a weak press corp. I hate that Rob was part of it, now he is doing what he is doing. But this is long overdue.

Do I feel guilty? Yes, because I did nothing. People have been suffering in our country. And I sat in my white bread community and enjoyed my middle class life. Where I was given opportunities a large portion of our country was not. Just because of my skin color. Do I feel racist because of that? Of course not. But it is part of the problem.

Do you feel guilty? You are complicit, even if you do not want to admit. it. Law and order! Yeah, in an area that has no jobs and no chance for an education and no food. But, damn, they deal and use drugs and shoot each other up. Gee, I wonder why? Easy money is easiest to get. And with no direction, you tend to wander.

This is not an individual is racist issue. This is a break down of our society. Why do we need a poor class and one that has been oppressed, even if you dont think they have, because they do.

I know it is futile to change minds on a message board. But I hope people start to realize what is really happening in this country.
No guilt at all. I’m not around these guys every week nor to I make money off them. With all due respect.

If it is true "that all men are created equal" then there is a high probability that there is racism in whites, blacks, and all other communities.

Shouldn't be long for the progressive left jumps in with "you're a denier of science"

Could it be considered ironic that Keavon has adopted this "accept this new culture or leave" approach.

And they thought Kirk was tone deaf.

I do believe the Hawkeyes have been around for quite some time. I've been a fan myself for over 30 years, I've said on this site before that Kirk is not Iowa Football. Iowa Football is bigger than any player, coach, or fan. I have a problem with any player who thinks they are the arbitrator of what a fan is. I don't claim that ability myself. Fans can like a team for any reason, they might only be coming to watch the band. Who knows? I support Keavon and his right to express his views and what he and his teammates are attempting to do but I don't think that it's a litmus test for watching Iowa football. Fan's pay for the stadium, the uniforms, the travel expenses, the schollies, and much more. They have the same right to believe and say what they believe in as the players. Some people believe that a fallen hero should not have his memorial vandalized. Lets try to respect everyone and their beliefs. I don't claim or want to know most of the players on my favorite teams college or pro. There is just too much let down when a player is not who you think they are. I don't want children to make athletes their role models, I prefer they use doctors, scholars, community leaders, and others. Is it selfish to want to watch your favorite team play for entertainment reasons alone?

Kaevon:

I agree with your right to kneel.
I agree that you are showing courage on this issue.
I agree that there should be changes within the Hawkeye football program.
I agree that we should stand up for social justice and against racism.
I don't agree that the way to do that is to disrespect the flag.
I don't agree with people who say they'll stop being Hawkeye fans or stop donating because you wish to kneel.
I don't agree with you that, if we don't agree with your kneeling, we shouldn't be Hawkeye fans.
I don't agree that any Hawkeye player should be coerced into standing or kneeling, if it is against his values.

I agree both sides are funny as F, where is your post like this for Merriweather's twitter post? Cause you realize it is just as ignorant to a difference of opinion.

Between this and banning the Confederate flag, Nascar alienated what was left of their core base. Those are the last nails in that coffin.

I agree both sides are funny as F, where is your post like this for Merriweather's twitter post? Cause you realize it is just as ignorant to a difference of opinion.

You mean what he Tweeted about his thoughts on fans who don't like them kneeling?

If so, it's the original post in this thread.

Is it selfish to want to watch your favorite team play for entertainment reasons alone?

No its not selfish. I wish sports were just sports. That is why I watch.

But we as fans are at fault here. We have put them on a pedestal. So many of us will only listen if they speak or act.

Definition of racism

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2a: a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b: a political or social system founded on racism

3: racial prejudice or discrimination

So, do you think KF is a racist, and that he played white players over black players because of it?

A current player throws out an ultimatum to fans - a large number of which have been around longer than he has - and expects everyone to bow down to it.

Sorry, man, that's not happening in my world. I'm an Iowa fan. I'm a fan of every player who dons the uniform unless they prove otherwise unworthy of said uniform.

When the BLM (aka We Hate Cops) Movement actually recognize ALL Black Lives Matter, rather than cherry-picking to fit their narrative, real change can happen.

When you paint (er, vandalize) " F@% 12" and " F@%# the Police" and "ACAB (All Cops Are Bastards)" on buildings, homes, and statues, that is not peacefully protesting as laid out in the First Amendment the BLM/ANTIFA folks boast about.

I will Fight For Iowa.
I will Fight to End Racism.
I will Fight to make sure ALL lives matter.

And I will go to Iowa FB games whenever the heck I want. Nobody gets to tell me otherwise.

I think Kaevon's tweet is exactly why Kirk banned players from tweeting and social media in the past. I don't disagree that Kaeyon has a right to his opinion, but when you issue ultimatums and say we aren't fans because we don't agree with your kneeling for the national anthem you bring unwanted attention to the team. Coaches don't like distractions and they tend to undermine the task at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.