JVB has a long way to go

You agree that he was average because he missed two reads?

I seriously hope we don't have more than one or two people on this board who are that ignorant. (or just stupid)

I still say he only (allegedly) missed one read. That first play to Davis was designed for him if he had man coverage. It was the right read but the wrong ball.

My initial thought on JVB's performance immediately after the game was 'average' and after re-watching the game I have amended my thought to 'slightly below average'. Granted, I realize the conditions were horrendous and JVB was playing with a wet ball all day, but I was more concerned with JVB's reads and his issue of locking on to his primary receiver.

Two plays stood out. The first was the third down (I think in the first quarter) where JVB tried to hit Davis on a fade. You could tell the second the ball was snapped JVB was looking for the home run no matter what. He locked on, floated the ball to Davis, and the ball fell incomplete. On the same play, Herman ran an arrow route and was wide open. No TTU player was within ten yards. If JVB dumps the ball to Herman, he easily picks up the first down and keeps the drive alive. Instead, Iowa had to opt for the field goal. Small things like this will kill Iowa in the B10 if not addressed.

The second play was Davis' acrobatic touchdown/reversed touchdown pass. Iowa lined up with the tight end on Davis' side of the field (strong right). To the left, McNutt was isolated on a cornerback. TTU looked to be in cover 3 with the strong safety walked up and the free safety shading toward the strong side. McNutt, an all-Big Ten receiver who will be playing in the NFL a year from now, had his defender on an island. JVB needs to recognize this and utilize McNutt (a slant/skinny post would have been an easy 6 points). Instead, JVB made a bad read and threw a bad ball to Davis.

I may be picking nits, but for Iowa to have any chance at 9 or 10 wins, JVB will have to be stellar. This past Saturday, he was not.

Ok, this has my pick as the most moronic post of the new season. Two plays...neither intercepted...nor game changing. If his receivers catch the freaking ball Saturday, he's 17-20 for probably 250-260 yards and three touchdowns. Although he missed two reads, so I mark him down to below average.

This guys is so much more accurate than Stanzi ever thought of being. He missed on three throws and made a couple of bad reads on where to go with the ball. Did you ever watch Stanzi in 2008 and 2009...I knew where he was going with the ball when he stepped out of the locker room.

Wow...you'd think we were coming off a season where our starting QB took us to game winning drives in the last four games.

Are we talking football analysis, because if we are I think the stupid one here is the one who offered none. This board is increasingly full of a##holes like you who come one here and call infantile names because of your little man syndrome. So, what do you think about JVB's performance? Maybe you didn't understand what he was saying in the beginning because you know nothing about coverages and such. So go read football for dummies and get back to us when you have something to add to the conversation studd.

There were probably some better choices for him on those 2 plays, but they certainly were not bad plays by Vandenberg. Davis had single coverage both times on a corner that was probably 4 inches shorter than him. The first fade that fell incomplete wasnt a very good throw and the 2nd one he tipped was ok, but with the size advantage Davis was able to make the play. He throws those 2 up to the back pylon, both are td's.

Are we talking football analysis, because if we are I think the stupid one here is the one who offered none. This board is increasingly full of a##holes like you who come one here and call infantile names because of your little man syndrome. So, what do you think about JVB's performance? Maybe you didn't understand what he was saying in the beginning because you know nothing about coverages and such. So go read football for dummies and get back to us when you have something to add to the conversation studd.

Anger management needed...get some help dude. If you don't like the board, it's a free country and board for that matter...don't come on and whine about someone who disagrees with a poster. This board is going to attract differing opinions so don't get your feelings hurt. You just grab your snuggy and some warm milk and watch cartoons for a while...you will feel better.

If you were to ask this boards opinion on this post...I say 85% disagree.

First of all, think of it as progressions, not reads. Reads are when you look at a defense and make adjustments based on scheme, or what a specific player does, i.e., the strong safety.

Progressions are when you go from one receiver to the next and so on based on a pre-determined sequence.

JV's fades to KD were first progression throws, based on the fact that the receiver was facing single coverage, hence no need to go through the progression.

In fact, if he progressed beyond that opportunity, he would have lost the chance and he could have realized that the safety who was not helping on the fade was helping on another receiver, possibly Herman.

Basically, once you progress past an option, you lose that option. Accordingly, it would go against the odds to make that progression.

Can someone else break open? Sure. But, if they don't, it would be a huge risk.

I thought James played very well considering what many have already stated....the conditions. Not to mention the number of drops that Iowa had. With that said, I have no problem with the OP and his assessment. Is it right? I don't know, but you have to give the guy some credit for at least backing up or attempting to back up his view.

First of all, think of it as progressions, not reads. Reads are when you look at a defense and make adjustments based on scheme, or what a specific player does, i.e., the strong safety.

Progressions are when you go from one receiver to the next and so on based on a pre-determined sequence.

JV's fades to KD were first progression throws, based on the fact that the receiver was facing single coverage, hence no need to go through the progression.

In fact, if he progressed beyond that opportunity, he would have lost the chance and he could have realized that the safety who was not helping on the fade was helping on another receiver, possibly Herman.

Basically, once you progress past an option, you lose that option. Accordingly, it would go against the odds to make that progression.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Saw the blitz, went to the most athletic WR with single coverage.

In addition were there linemen in the way or someone with their hands up? (I don't have access to re-watch the game) The tv angle is not the same one the QB plays with.

Eh....13/21 with a couple drops in pouring rain and a 10 ypa is not below average just because he missed a read or two.

If Vandy plays like that every game....I'm gonna start praying for a down pour every Saturday.

Look I don't know if you went to the game or experienced the weather even we had saturday. I did and it was the rainstorm from Hell. HUGE raindrops and torrential. The kind of rain where you couldn't even keep your eyes open. BUckets of water falling down.

It remeinded me of the star wars movie on hoth when they had to close the "rear gate". The type of rain where you had to yell at the person next to you so they could hear you. Utter downpour. I had no idea how those players managed to even see during this rain. To throw a touch pass in that rain would be like trying to tie a cherry stem into a knot with your tongue.

Yep. Agree with everything you said. It was some serious heavy rain.

If Vandy plays like that every game....I'm gonna start praying for a down pour every Saturday.

Exactly, If Vandeburg plays the way he did Saturday Iowa wins the big ten.

As has been mentioned Vandy made the correct read on the fades to Davis, just a bad throw in the rain. The fact that that pattern was called for twice obviously means that its something they have practiced and have confidence in.

I am assuming that in normal conditions he puts that in the right spot when its not raining more often than not.

I would rate Vandenburgs game as very good to excellent given the conditions.

You stated it much more eloquently than I did, but I was thinking the same thing this morning in this thread : http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/32731-vandenbergs-3-step-drop-frequency.html#post505771

There usually is no read associated with an audible to a fade. If you audibled to it, you're almost certainly going to throw it. He did have Herman standing all alone in the flat but even before the snap he knew where he was going with the ball. The throw was poor, probably mostly due to the conditions, but if you're gonna miss that throw, miss it to the outside and long. Lesson learned.

The 2nd fade was just lame audible, despite the result. Going to a fade on the short side of the field when McNutt has a 10 yard cushion on the weak side seems pretty stupid to me. I find it hard to believe Iowa doesn't have a weak side slant audible in their week 1 package but you never know.

This. You go through progressions, and you take the first one that's open. Vandy did that, and just came up a little short on the physical side of things. Period.

I just thought the two fades were thrown inside and short and should have been thrown outside and long. If the coaches agree, they'll point it out.

My initial thought on JVB's performance immediately after the game was 'average' and after re-watching the game I have amended my thought to 'slightly below average'.

Dadgum armchair quarterback. Five buckeye stickers will be removed from yer tinfoil helmet. Congratulation son! You've made the second team all-american field goal holder guy team.

Latest posts