Just went through my first set of Big Ten FB Predictions

Yea I know Michigan runs the spead I just type it in wrong, I just dont see Michigan beating use this year, our Dline is going to come in with the attitude we let certain teams move ball on use least year on the ground not this year. The game that comes to mind last year was Ohio State they ran the ball will well against use and if we would have of stop the run, TP was not going to beat use with his arm, thats a game we gave away. Lets hope our Dline comes ready to play every game.

We squeaked by Michigan last year, in Kinnick, at night, and they had 5 turnovers.

Last year we almost lost to Indiana, Michigan St, UNI, and we lost to NW and Ohio State.

You can frame it however you want, but I don't care what type of mindset our Dline has coming in, we are not just going to roll into the Big House, a place we've won like 1 time in the Ferentz era and maybe 2-3 times in the last 25 years.

I think Michigan is going to be undefeated heading into that game.

It's a good thing Iowa was blessed by those 5 turnovers that Michigan just gave us, apparently Iowa's D had zero to with those.

You don't think Michigan fits the spread? You think they are a pro style kind of team? Do you know anything about college football?

And for you AIRHAWK. "Hawks did very well agains't what was considered a very good spread team in GT. I know we had a lot of time to prepare for that...just saying"

Georgia Tech is not the type of spread we struggle against, and I would not even consider Georgia Tech a spread offense. They are a triple option/veer offense which runs a lot out from under center.

The type of offenses we've struggled with more than any other has been offenses that spread the field with WR's and run almost exclusively out of the gun with a RB in the backfield where they run read draws and play action passes.

For those of you who want to talk about the pick 6 we threw against Michigan... why don't you also mention the "5" turnovers Michigan had. "5" turnovers is not normal and it is highly unlikely they will even have "3" turnovers this year when we play them. We had "1" turnover against them.

Michigan had 5 turnovers, on the road at Kinnick in the night, with a freshman quarterback who was battered during the game. They only lost to us by 2 points, they only trailed in TOP by a little over 4 minutes.. They racked up almost 200 yards rushing and they held us to only 83 rushing yards. We were also 3 of 3 for Fg's. We miss just one of those and we lose to a team that turned the ball over 5 times.

Looks like Debbie Downer is predicting a loss in Ann Arbor next year.

We squeaked by Michigan last year, in Kinnick, at night, and they had 5 turnovers.

Last year we almost lost to Indiana, Michigan St, UNI, and we lost to NW and Ohio State.

You can frame it however you want, but I don't care what type of mindset our Dline has coming in, we are not just going to roll into the Big House, a place we've won like 1 time in the Ferentz era and maybe 2-3 times in the last 25 years.

I think Michigan is going to be undefeated heading into that game.

Iowa (not "we" unless you played or are on the coaching staff) also beat ISU by 32, in Ames, during the day when they had 6 turnovers.

Last edited:
If we can win going away at bowl-winners PSU and Wisconsin, rally from the dead to win at MSU, dismantle a bowl-eligible ISU in Ames and take Rosebowl winner tOSU to OT with a new starting QB, we can and will certainly win at scUM and AZ.

Last edited:
When the magazines start coming out i'll really try to figure what the Big Ten pecking order is. I try to look at schedules, bye weeks,and returning seniors. I think Iowa and OSU are the cream of the conference with PSU, Michigan and Wisconsin right behind us. Indiana,MSU,Northwestern,Purdue,Minnesota, and Illinois. Pretty much that order is what im thinking. I have Indiana probably a little high and Purdue a little low. Just guessing anyways.

When the magazines start coming out i'll really try to figure what the Big Ten pecking order is. I try to look at schedules, bye weeks,and returning seniors. I think Iowa and OSU are the cream of the conference with PSU, Michigan and Wisconsin right behind us. Indiana,MSU,Northwestern,Purdue,Minnesota, and Illinois. Pretty much that order is what im thinking. I have Indiana probably a little high and Purdue a little low. Just guessing anyways.

Your predicted order of finish in the majority of predictions (magazine, online, etc...) will be OSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State.

To answer your question, the first week of June.

I think @ Ann Arbor is going to be our second toughest game of the season behind Ohio State.

It's not a good matchup for our defense at all. They came into a raucous Kinnick stadium last year with a true freshman QB, and had a chance to win in in the final minute. They ran all over us too.

Re-watch the Iowa vs. Michigan game and look at some of the plays and you'll see we really lucked out on multiple occasions. There were maybe 3 or 4 plays in that game that were huge and somewhat lucky on our part.

I agree. That game, along with UNI, IND, And MSU were very lucky wins. To think just how close Iowa came to losing those games.

All of the Big Ten teams are tough. You can't take any of them for granted. Heck, we almost lost to Indiana at home last year.

The good news is that we have a very strong defense and a lot of playmakers returning on offense. Iowa should have a chance to win every game on its schedule this fall. But if we do not play well or if we commit turnovers(or suffer critical injuries), losses will happen. It is the nature of college football in the Big Ten.

Iowa can win any or all of it's twelve games this year. That is the good news. Bad News? they can loose most of them too. I am as excited for this season as anyone. I have just watched too many seasons with high expectations to just get let down. So i will take it game by games, and enjoy the ride i hope they go on this year.

The only people who are emotional for the IA vs ISU game are the fans and MAYBE a few local players. The rest could give a crap less about that game over any other.

Yeah I agree 100%. Just inform the fans that storm the field and the players that rush to the trophy and parade it around the stadium. No one cares about that game.

First off ... the '09 game against Michigan has little impact on how we'll fare against them in '10 or how they'll fare against us.

The primary positive I see for Michigan is that they have a bunch of quality LB and safety types ... and that is arguably the driving reason why they're moving to a 3-3-5. While I'm still not 100% sold on how they'll fare in coverage given the inexperience that they have in the secondary ... they're certainly not lacking in talent.

The big question is how well the guys will adjust to the new system and whether they can have enough success bringing heat in order to compensate for any deficiencies they might have on the DL.

The one thing that kind of blows my mind with regard to those who worry about how Iowa matches up against Michigan is that:

1. Iowa's D game-planned to take away Forcier, not Denard Robinson. While Robinson did have success moving the ball against Iowa ... every last yard was earned and they had to burn up too much clock in the process. Oh, and by the way, the D was successful in its game-plan against Forcier.

2. Many Iowa fans seem to forget that Norm Parker will have roughly 2 weeks to get the Iowa D prepped to face a Denard Robinson led Michigan squad. What's to say that the Iowa D won't have success in its game-plan against Robinson?

3. Mesko was a HUGE weapon for Michigan. His leg alone kept the game a lot closer than it arguably should have been. Without Mesko, Iowa potentially owns a significant advantage in the field-position battle.

4. In '09, Bulaga had to face off against Graham in only his second week back from his thyroid-related absence. If the Iowa OL can manage to remain healthy, then it's a likely event that the unit will have gelled by the 7th week of the season. In '10, I like the match-up of a healthy Iowa OL in the 7th week of the season against a 3-man front.

5. In '09, Minor and a pretty veteran Michigan OL pitted up against 5- and 6-man defensive fronts and managed to have success running the ball. All the same, the Michigan O only put up 319 yards on the Iowa D ... and, mind you, that was only Prater's 3rd game starting and the Iowa DL wasn't nearly as experienced then as it is now.

6. Many Iowa fans simply ignored HOW Michigan managed to score when they did. One score was on a pick six. Michigan's longest TD scoring drive was a 12 play 72 yard drive and required them to convert on a 4th and 4. Michigan's other two scoring drives benefitted from rather favorable field position ... namely, a 10 play 57 yard TD drive and a 11 play 59 yard TD drive. Not only does this imply that the Iowa D forced Michigan to earn every point ... but it also indicates that field position also played a crucial role in Michigan remaining in the game.

7. I already mentioned the fact that Michigan benefitted from Mesko. However, in 2010, they won't have Mesko AND Iowa will still have a strong D and Donahue at P. Furthermore, if Mullings can win the kick-off job ... then that will imply that Iowa's kick-off coverage game will get a big boost too. In fact, Mullings big leg could potentially end up being a significant advantage!

8. Iowa's O played a poor game against the '09 Michigan D and yet still scored 30 points and 367 yards. Given the juggling on the O and the fact that Iowa featured FR RBs ... and the fact that Michigan was going out of its way to stop the run ... there's little surprise that the Hawks only managed 84 yards on the ground. A more interesting question is whether they can duplicate that success without Graham ... and if they can duplicated it against Iowa's more experienced RBs, and, ideally, against a healthy Iowa OL!

As for Jon being bullish about Michigan ... I would say that all of the following game are AT BEST 50-50 for the Wolverines:

- home vs UConn: UConn is a decent squad ... not a gimme Wolverine victory
- @ Notre Dame: I'm not sold on either squad ... however, how Cinci's D played despite losing so many starters after '08 suggests to me that Kelly places a requisite strong emphasis on D
- @ Indiana: No I'm not joking. The game strikes me as a shootout on O. I think that the Hoosiers may have the game circled after basically giving the game away in '09.
- home vs MSU: In this game anything goes. The big question in the game will likely end up being MSU's OL play. If MSU can get their running game going ... I see the Spartans likely winning this game (again)!
- home vs Iowa: Emotionally spent after the MSU game and then having to play another tough and physical opponent ... this spells a likely Iowa victory in my book.
- @ PSU: Even with 2 weeks to prepare for the Nits ... the PSU D will likely be operating at 100% by that juncture in the season. Just as long as the PSU QB can adequately manage the game ... I see a likely PSU victory.
- @ Purdue: If Purdue has success replacing starters on the OL and at DB, then the match-ups here are pretty even. Otherwise, I can actually understand Michigan owning the advantage here.
- home vs Wisky: Wisky's O is built to absolutely kill a 3-3-5 D ... especially considering that their OL will be exceptionally experienced by then. The big question will be how well Wisky's D can fare against the Michigan O. My impression is that they'll be able to fare well enough ... thus, I see a likely Wisconsin victory.
- @ tOSU: The rivalry nature of the game could give them a fighting chance ... however, that is simply being too generous. My gut says that tOSU atones for letting the game be too close in '09.

If you throw in reasonable probabilities for the aforementioned games ... you pretty much automatically arrive at the conclusion that 5- or 6-loss seasons are arguably the most likely scenarios. Is it bullish to conclude that they'll go bowling with such a mediocre record? However, given the standard deviations as they likely are ... it's still possible that they surprise with an 8-4 season ... or even manage to miss out on the bowls ... AGAIN! I honestly don't know which direction the probabilities are biased .... however, I wouldn't be shocked by either outcome.

Yeah I agree 100%. Just inform the fans that storm the field and the players that rush to the trophy and parade it around the stadium. No one cares about that game.

Have Iowa fans ever stormed the field after an ISU game? I cant say as I have ever seen that. The players rushing for the trophy is a no-brainer but Iowa fans rushing the field? I'd have to see video evidence.

Homer,

Very good points. Mesko was huge for the MICH defense.
I dont like a 3 man defensive front against Iowa's offense. I dont see them playing that way come game time. Otherwise they will give up lots of yards in the running game.

Homer,

Very good points. Mesko was huge for the MICH defense.
I dont like a 3 man defensive front against Iowa's offense. I dont see them playing that way come game time. Otherwise they will give up lots of yards in the running game.

I agree. I anticipate that Michigan will use a 4-man front against Iowa. However, the interesting question will be whether the 3-3-5 will really be their base set ... and how smoothly they'll be able to transition to using a 4-man front.

All I know is that Rich Rod had some decent success using the 3-3-5 at WVU against running teams. However, if memory serves, they also relied a lot upon run blitzes. If the Iowa OL can prevent such blitzes from blowing up the line of scrimmage too much ... the Iowa O might be able to have good success balancing the run with play-action.

Have Iowa fans ever stormed the field after an ISU game? I cant say as I have ever seen that. The players rushing for the trophy is a no-brainer but Iowa fans rushing the field? I'd have to see video evidence.

The student section storms the field after every win. Now most people won't storm the field against ISU like they did against Penn St a couple of years ago, but yes people will be on the field after beating ISU or anyone.

I'd rank Michigan around 5-6. The offense is going to win them games but the defense is going to lose some as well. And if they get off to a slow start...watch out because the pitchforks will be coming.

I've posted this many times before: Parker's defense doesn't do well against the spread. Is Bowling Green a spread offense? If yes, Iowa's offense better be prepared to outscore them if they want to win.

I've posted this many times before: Parker's defense doesn't do well against the spread. Is Bowling Green a spread offense? If yes, Iowa's offense better be prepared to outscore them if they want to win.

LOL! Name the last time Iowa struggled more with a "spread" team versus a "traditional" team. When Iowa has had difficulties in the past, it was largely due to our lack of depth at CB. That hasn't really been an issue recently!

By the way, Iowa doesn't play Bowling Green in '10 ... maybe you're thinking of Ball State?

Ok, does Ball State use the spread?

Here are just a few examples for ya homer: Michigan, Purdue, (Purdue has traditionally been a thorn in the side of Iowa ever since Tiller took over), Ohio State (their's is more of a running spread), NORTWESTERN, and Indiana (the pistol).

Not Wisconsin. Not Michigan State. Not Penn State. Ops, I can't forget Minnesota. They are currently using a traditional, run-first offense. Do you see a trend??

Last edited:

Latest posts