Just spoke to a pathologist at the hospital

That was the point - either the number 12 is wrong or something else is in play.

The number is wrong. It was 13 per the presser.

And the presser strongly implied all had legitimate issues, not just precautionary.

I dont think anyone thinks this just came from a hard workout. That said, I'd rather wait to find out what Iowa has to say before going off half cocked.

This is not consistent with your initial response yesterday. Remember..."intramurals"? I would categorize that as "half cocked".

My guess is it was one or two and they heard dudes who went to the hospital got to get away from drill sergeant Doyle for a few days and the list of guys "with symptoms" grew.

Yeah, they all probably stirred some Guiness into their pee and then found a way to change their kidney function tests too. That's how they roll. Anything to get out of physical activity.

It is due to hard work outs and not enough water/gatorade that is all, we see this in the military all the time, and it not as bad as most people think. 12 cases is not that bad this summer we had 60 out of 120, they had not been drinking water or gatorade and in some cases been taking some kind of supplements like ripped fuel or hydroxicut, creatine

It is due to hard work outs and not enough water/gatorade that is all, we see this in the military all the time, and it not as bad as most people think. 12 cases is not that bad this summer we had 60 out of 120, they had not been drinking water or gatorade and in some cases been taking some kind of supplements like ripped fuel or hydroxicut, creatine

So why exactly would it be wise to institute an exercise regimen that stalls the development of troops for up to a week while they lay in the hospital with tubes in their arm? I know you need to create soldiers that can withstand amazing rigors. But having them laid up for a week in boot camp just doesn't sound wise.

If they weren't laid up with IV's in their arm. It isn't the same thing.

I just talked to a guy at the Honda dealership....and....A man named Cyrus purchased a new moped in Iowa City for pick up later this weekend.....yeah....he'll be starting by mid season.

I have worked in nephrology for 18 years. I do not believe you when you had 120 soldiers clinically diagnosed with Rhabdo. You need a nephrologist to confirm the diagnosis. If you are telling me that 120 guys were seen by a nephrologist with RHABDO and a little gatorade fixed the problem I worry about the medical care the troops are getting.

1st- NO one said it was life threatening. Potentially- but that is way out there. I was in the military and people got it in boot camp. Fluids was normally the key.

Tons of water and proper diet no problem. In the military you simply were forced to drink so much water your urine was clear. And you did not exercise for 2-3 days depending how bad you had it. It was no big deal.

I think when all is said and done it will be found that most players did not follow the instructions about fluids and diet. I had a friend get it. He went into a sauna for the sore muscles. Worst thing you can do as it dehydrates you further.

Last edited:

Infantry or special ops? Have seen video of the special ops training. Wow.

I e-mailed my sister (a doctor and Hawkeye fan) to see if she had heard the news. She said it can be serious but it happens more than people realize. Something like 30-40% of all military recruits get it during boot camp training.

I did a quick Google search and found a study that stated, "during the early training phase, 40% of 337 military recruits had myoglobin in their urine, which is evidence of rhabdomyolysis.

I'm am thinking that the number of people effected was due to players coming back from break wanting to strut their stuff and compete with each other. I mean, to play football you have to have some competitive drive and I can see this extending into workouts. "Hey, bet I can get my squats done faster than you" kind of thing. Combined with some disregard for the right hydration and diet and voilà!http://www.cristdrive.com/voila/, 13 kids with rhabdwtfolysis.

One word that I have not heard from anyone, that has been mention as a cause of this desease is "virus". Has anyone else had that 3 day flu bug that causes vomiting, muscle soreness and overall fatigue? I have, co workers have, my kids, my wife...all same symptons. I was able to work and was not bed ridden, but I was obviously effected. My theory, these players all got the virus, as it is contagious, took the symptons as just sore and tired from a workout, the overdid it not realizing they were sick. I am frustrated that this has not been discussed as a possible reason. For all of the millions of athletes that have overdone it in any sport, for this to be such a rare occurance, I say it has to be a X factor.

I e-mailed my sister (a doctor and Hawkeye fan) to see if she had heard the news. She said it can be serious but it happens more than people realize. Something like 30-40% of all military recruits get it during boot camp training.

I did a quick Google search and found a study that stated, "during the early training phase, 40% of 337 military recruits had myoglobin in their urine, which is evidence of rhabdomyolysis.

Yeah, when I asked my dad about rhabdomyolysis (I hadn't even told him that's why the Iowa players were in the hospital), he mentioned that it was most common in military recruits, who (at least in India where the temperature and humidity can be real killers) used to go on long marches.

And we know that it's somewhat common in recruits in the military, firefighting or police academies here in the US, where strenuous exercise, coupled with dehydration is part of the training environment.

Others who you see this condition in are marathon/long distance runners. You're pushing your muscles to their limits in a somewhat anaerobic state, and you're often pretty dehydrated. Muscles begin to breakdown en masse and you're leaking the cellular contents into the blood stream.

EDIT: Fixed terrible grammar.

Last edited:
sorry, want to continue with part two

This is not about the workout, and the reason that supports this is the number...13. If these workouts were sooo strenuous over time, you would see a trend of incidents....2, then 4, then 7, then 13. This 13 is a statistical anomaly Because this number is so high, that supports my virus outbreak theory.

Also a part of the reason so many Iowa players may have been admitted to the hospital is the fact that we have such a good hospital staff that could diagnose the problem (or signs of the problem) right away and seek out all the players who needed treatment. I'm not sure if many teams have the luxury of having a huge teaching hospital right next door.

When people mention the fact that it is a serious problem, which it certainly is, they also somehow fail to mention that Iowa's failsafes did work in this instance, and thank goodness they did.

Latest posts