JuCo PG

Hawkeye32

I really hope Fran picks up a Junior College PG this year. I feel like it is a bad idea to go into the year with one pg, especially with a team that plans to play more up tempo with more depth. So i expect Bryce to play fewer minutes already. I do not even want to think about what will happen if he gets hurt.

I know that a lot of people like Marble but I am not on the bandwagon and really expect his playing time to drop with all of the new recruits. He can not shoot good enough to play the 2 and White, Hubbard, and even May will be competing with him at the 3.

I do not know if Fran thinks Stoermer can play the point... But I thnk this might be a good time to offer a marginal big ten pg just to add depth if he can not get a better one. We have enough scholarships next year that it would not set us back in the future.

Just my $.02

Don't worry be happy :) just sitting here at hard rock cafe in downtown Atlanta Georgia enjoying the day with my beautiful wife. Got on my Hawkeye hat and getting friendly greetings from most Georgia Tech fans.

I think Fran knows what he has and what he can get. I trust that he knows more about this than you or I. With Lickliter... not so much. I don't worry about what Fran is doing. That is why I love him as our coach.
Lickliter wanted to play his son over what was best for the University.

I think Fran knows what he has and what he can get. I trust that he knows more about this than you or I. With Lickliter... not so much. I don't worry about what Fran is doing. That is why I love him as our coach.
Lickliter wanted to play his son over what was best for the University.
The scary thing is I think he thought having his son play was the best thing for us....

I didnt have a problem with little Lick, but it is funny he let Palmer, and Angle rot on the bench, when we had no bench.Ran off Freeman and played his kid.

I agree with the OP poster that it would be nice to ink a point guard. That being said, I also like the fact Fran is not going to sign a point guard just to bring one in. He wants players who can contribute. He has made it known and has even said he doesn't want "project" players. So my gut is if Fran gets his eyes on another Cartwright he will pull the trigger. Otherwise he will bank the scholarship. I would rather he do that then bring in someone who is questionable running the point in the Big 10.

I think he should bank the spot. Bryce is going to man the pg position. Injury, yes it is a problem. They are no matter what.

I think he should bank the spot. Bryce is going to man the pg position. Injury, yes it is a problem. They are no matter what.

Yes he will be the man but we are not playing Lickliter basketball anymore. Fatigue will be more of a problem. I think his minutes will be down by that fact alone.

Coach has said, "I have four guys that can play the point". If he is satisfied with what he has on the team, why would you not be??????

Coach has said, "I have four guys that can play the point". If he is satisfied with what he has on the team, why would you not be??????

Because I have watched Marble play basketball before. I also still have nightmares of Tucker being the back up pg.

Because I have watched Marble play basketball before. I also still have nightmares of Tucker being the back up pg.

Marble is not bad, he was weak last year, but a good offseason getting stronger will make him better. Carwright was just as scary until the BT season began last year. Marble and others will be just fine backing up Bryce this season. Iowa has one PG and others that can help and are much better off today at that position than they were when Payne got hurt last year.

That being said, I would like a JUCO PG here that will be a quality backup and starter if needed.

If we don't get another PG I think we will see Hubbard handle the ball over Marble. I think he will be capable and less likely to freeze up. Of course we haven't seen him in B10 action yet.

This. He is not a PG.

Marble was moved to PG in HS for the reason to prepare him to play it at Iowa if needed. His only weakness was his strength...think about if he hadn't been on the floor against Purdue.

Long term, I don't think he is the answer at PG, but he is more than capable of playing the position, he proved that last year. Numbers aren't everything, his overall numbers weren't great, but he did some nice things. The good outweighed the bad, but you can't compare him to Bryce either. Bryce proved he was one of the more capable PG's in a Confererence that was loaded with them.

Again, I would like to see a JUCO PG brought in to bridge the gap between Cartwright and the 2012 PG that is brought in, whomever that becomes.

The best thing for the Iowa program would be to have a bridge player and Fran bring in one true PG and a good combo guard that can play both spots in the 2012 class.

Marble is capable anywhere we play him, everyone likes to say May is a great athlete(and he is) but quick to see flaws in Marbles game. He is probally the best athlete(raw) on the team with the biggest upside.Long quick,slashing ability. Shooting will come(esp with in comming guys to practice against)above avg def. Dont over look this kid.

Marble is capable anywhere we play him, everyone likes to say May is a great athlete(and he is) but quick to see flaws in Marbles game. He is probally the best athlete(raw) on the team with the biggest upside.Long quick,slashing ability. Shooting will come(esp with in comming guys to practice against)above avg def. Dont over look this kid.

Marble is the biggest black hole I have ever seen which is why I worry about him getting significant time at the point. And actually he is a below average athlete for the Big Ten (which explains his offers) which could make bringing the ball up the court difficult. Having him at point for extended minutes next season would stunt his development on the wing.

Latest posts