JuCo PG

I expect Marble to be improved this next year but I think Hubbard will also see quite a bit of time at the backup PG position. Hubbard played PG his freshman year of JUCO and I know Fran thinks he can contribute there.

I'm not sure that there are good enough JUCO pg's left that would give us a sizable improvement from our current players. If we find one, I'd love to have him.

Jay i think your off a little, I would say Marble is ahead of where Jake Kelly was after year one, May had a nice year one,(ALL freshman) but slid in year two. granted he's raw but beat out May for starting time half way in. He's not below avg big ten(He's not Richmond either) he has no place to go but up. Practicing with Hubbard will help. Hell we have know idea what HE(Hubbard) can do in the league.I think he'll be fine but still a ?. Marbles got a year under his belt, has had some good games(shown flashes)played out of position alot but now has that expierence, he'll be fine.

Jay i think your off a little, I would say Marble is ahead of where Jake Kelly was after year one, May had a nice year one,(ALL freshman) but slid in year two. granted he's raw but beat out May for starting time half way in. He's not below avg big ten(He's not Richmond either) he has no place to go but up. Practicing with Hubbard will help. Hell we have know idea what HE(Hubbard) can do in the league.I think he'll be fine but still a ?. Marbles got a year under his belt, has had some good games(shown flashes)played out of position alot but now has that expierence, he'll be fine.

K, there is a huge difference between Kelly and Marble. Kelly could shoot and get into the lane while Marble may be one of the worst shooting perimeter players in the league. I also said Marble was below average athletically for his position in the league. That wasn't my opinion of him as an overall player. May still has a much higher ceiling because of his superior athleticism which allows him to do things that Marble simply cannot.

"May still has a much higher ceiling."

No he doesn't, May will be a junior, he is not a good basketball player now, nor will he ever be.

He can run straight forward, and can jump.

No he doesn't, May will be a junior, he is not a good basketball player now, nor will he ever be.

This. Marble, has lots of potential. If he works hard he can be really good. He was only 17 when he stepped onto campus. Give him some time to develop. He's going to be a slasher more than a 3 point shooter, but the shot will develop.

Well said. I can't even believe that anyone with bball knowledge would say May has a higher ceiling. I had better handles as a 5th grader!

K, there is a huge difference between Kelly and Marble. Kelly could shoot and get into the lane while Marble may be one of the worst shooting perimeter players in the league. I also said Marble was below average athletically for his position in the league. That wasn't my opinion of him as an overall player. May still has a much higher ceiling because of his superior athleticism which allows him to do things that Marble simply cannot.

I agree that Kelly was a better shooter, but don't agree Marble is below average athletically. Look at his best games, they were wide open games and Iowa and opponents scored over 70 pts.
The games Marble struggled in were more halfcourt and physical games, he hasn't scored a point against Minnesota yet, a very physical team.
May having a higher ceiling, please, at least Marble can dribble and doesn't have more turnovers than assists. Protecting the ball is more important than one great dunk every four games. I like May and if he can figure out how to dribble better than a toddler, Iowa will be better for it. Marble has must better instincts than May as well, he knows when to shoot or when to drive, he just isn't a great shooter right now, but he is a freshman and he will improve.
Fundamentals do not allow May to be better than he is, an average player at best. Marble can be better than average given his skill set and his fundamentals don't have to be improved upon. Once Marble gets stronger, there will be a big difference in his game.
The game of college basketball isn't won because of how athletic a team is, it helps, but if it were Butler wouldn't have been in the final game two years running. Fundamentals really do matter and that is the difference between the two players Marble has solid fundamentals and May does not. May is a good shooter, but Marble is not, the difference, it is easier to become a better shooter rather than get fundamentals when a player has relied on athleticism their whole career.
Give me Marble's first year over May's two combined seasons and it is easy who has had more of an impact, if it isn't easy to tell, who did Fran go with at the end of the season? Marble doesn't do anything spectactular, yet...he needs more strength and a lot of hard work on his shot, the shot itself looks good, he just needs to become more consistent. Marble also got in too big a hurry at times when shooting, something not uncommon for a freshman trying to prove himself and get out of the shadows of someone he isn't.

Are you kidding me? Rumors are he is killing it this spring and if he can even handle it decent his athleticism makes his ceiling higher than Marble's. I think that says more about Marble than it does May because I personally do not believe either guy should be getting big time minutes in the Big Ten.

Definitely think Marble is below average athletically but I think he can be an above-average player.

His shooting is odd and extremely inconsistent
First 9 B10 games: 6-15 40%
Last 9 B10 games: 0-10 0%

I like to think this was a "Freshman wall" and just a psychological thing. We'll see...

Are you kidding me? Rumors are he is killing it this spring and if he can even handle it decent his athleticism makes his ceiling higher than Marble's. I think that says more about Marble than it does May because I personally do not believe either guy should be getting big time minutes in the Big Ten.

I will believe it when I see it...I remember a quote about Gatens that didn't quite live up to the hype last season.

Definitely think Marble is below average athletically but I think he can be an above-average player.

His shooting is odd and extremely inconsistent
First 9 B10 games: 6-15 40%
Last 9 B10 games: 0-10 0%

I like to think this was a "Freshman wall" and just a psychological thing. We'll see...

Marble is below average strength-wise, we have yet to see his full abilities. It is easier for a kid to hit the proverbial "wall" when that player wasn't that physically gifted to begin with.

Maybe you are new to this sports thing, but those rumors always exist. Every spring we hear rumors about people adding 20 pounds of muscle or some other absurd thing.

May is over 20 years old, he isn't going to just learn how to dribble over the course of three weeks.

I wasnt trying to get into a May vs Marble deal. Just think Marble deserves props for stepping up and helping the team. I'm a May fan also. But people forget he was a young freshman playing out of position, thats does have nice athletic skills, and if need be, will help at the point along with Hubbard.

It is funny to see all the D1 coaches on here saying Fran doesn't know what he is doing. Let's get over ourselves and trust him when he says he is happy with the PG position.

Maybe you are new to this sports thing, but those rumors always exist. Every spring we hear rumors about people adding 20 pounds of muscle or some other absurd thing.

May is over 20 years old, he isn't going to just learn how to dribble over the course of three weeks.

I am well aware of the hoopla surrounding any sports team in the off season, thank you. As Iowa gets up and down more like Fran likes then May will become more and more effective. His lack of a decent handle can be hidden some by a faster pace where he is just filling the lane and finishing. The bottom line is that I hope JO and Hubbard can take a lot of these minutes at the 2/3 from both of these guys.

Where do you get this arbitrary deadline of 3 weeks? Does the season now begin on May 20? :D

Eric May won't be the next BJ Armstrong. But you can bet that band-handling is something Fran and the assistants will have all the guards working on in the off-season. Guys can develop and improve if coached up and if they put in the work.

I like the idea of another PG too. But if this is what we have moving forward, we'll make it work. Fran has shown he knows what he's doing.

Latest posts