JUCO LB Will Honas

Herkeye1986

Does anyone have an scoop on any certain way he is leaning? Latest update shows him 50 / 50 Hawks or Fuskers. I suppose if I were him I'd be probably choosing the hawks considering it's wide open and I have a great chance to start right away but that's probably just my home team bias.

will-honas-46049576

It seems like an obvious choice, unless I missed it somewhere that Iowa's LBs are coming back next year.

I think all three programs (IA, KSU, NE) can make pretty good cases for early playing opportunity. Maybe why it’s becoming a difficult decision?

I think all three programs (IA, KSU, NE) can make pretty good cases for early playing opportunity. Maybe why it’s becoming a difficult decision?

Yeah, Nebraska can use anyone they can get on defense. That unit has been terrruble. Also, Honas' brother goes to KSU. NOT an easy or clear decision for him I'm sure.

Oh, and then the team that dominates the B1G West every year and always has one of the better defenses in the nation came calling the other day...

Hopefully he sees the fact that all 3 LB positions are wide open the he's almost a shoe in to start here so long as he proves his worth in practice which seems like he would.

He’s not a shoe in to start. Iowa has good young LBs on the roster that would’ve dominated in JUCO as well. He might start, he might not, but Iowa has good young players already here. He would be a good addition to that group.

He has until Jan. 15 to sign. He doesn't need to rush and would wait to take an official to Wisconsin next month.

Well damn. Hope he enjoys getting 300 rushing yards dropped on him by UW and us every year.

But seriously, wish him well and on to the next one.

I don't think Doyle has to contribute right away. I doubt he's better than the 6 on the two deeps at this point anyway.
You're probably right. Lots of people saw us targeting a JUCO and assumed that the staff wasn't confident in the guys we have. I think that while inexperienced, there's a lot of physical talent at LB. Niemann, Mends, Jones, Taylor, and Wade are exceptional athletes, Welch looks like the real deal at MLB, and Hockaday has some experience as well.

I don't think Doyle has to contribute right away. I doubt he's better than the 6 on the two deeps at this point anyway.

but then again, we really don't know what we have with these 6 because we are so smart we didn't really let them play this season. I'd wager Honas figured he only had 2 seasons and didn't want to spend 1 behind someone "learning his assignments".

Correct, he probably won't need to contribute as far as playing as LB right away, barring injury, but I guess I was more thinking special teams and depth in case a rash of injuries occurs. I'm predicting that he will not redshirt next season without bringing in Honas.

but then again, we really don't know what we have with these 6 because we are so smart we didn't really let them play this season. I'd wager Honas figured he only had 2 seasons and didn't want to spend 1 behind someone "learning his assignments".

Agreed...I was lobbying Parker all season to put Jewell and Neiman on the bench to allow these #2s and young LBs to play. That way, we could possibly lose a few more games and stay out of this meaningless bowl practice situation. I mean really, we don't have a real game until late August 2018, so why practice now...plus it's cold out.

See, this will teach everyone. As much as I enjoy watching Nebraska get their butts handed to them...I was rooting for them against NIU and others not named Iowa. Riley at 8-4 is a good thing. It keeps him around another year and probably keeps Diaco employed too. That's good for Iowa Football. Scott Frost is going to recruit better in his sleep than Riley could do in his waking sleep...which he was in most of the time. His last press conference told me all I needed to know...he still thought he had a chance to keep his job. The aw-shucks Gomer Pile routine wore thin on the delusional Nebraska fan base who thought Tanner Lee was sent from God himself.

Latest posts