JUCO LB Will Honas

See, this will teach everyone. As much as I enjoy watching Nebraska get their butts handed to them...I was rooting for them against NIU and others not named Iowa. Riley at 8-4 is a good thing. It keeps him around another year and probably keeps Diaco employed too. That's good for Iowa Football. Scott Frost is going to recruit better in his sleep than Riley could do in his waking sleep...which he was in most of the time. His last press conference told me all I needed to know...he still thought he had a chance to keep his job. The aw-shucks Gomer Pile routine wore thin on the delusional Nebraska fan base who thought Tanner Lee was sent from God himself.
Riley recruited just fine. Was working on a potential top-20 class. His problem is that he was softer than Liberace at the Playboy Mansion.

2 years to play? Honas chose...poorly.
tenor.gif

Agreed...I was lobbying Parker all season to put Jewell and Neiman on the bench to allow these #2s and young LBs to play. That way, we could possibly lose a few more games and stay out of this meaningless bowl practice situation. I mean really, we don't have a real game until late August 2018, so why practice now...plus it's cold out.

not to worry, brian ferentz took care of the losing for us. just to be clear, you are of the belief that the smartest way to operate is to NOT have you backup players, in this case the back lb's, get meaningful snaps; all the while, knowing you have to find 3 new starters for the very next season. that's your position?

not to worry, brian ferentz took care of the losing for us. just to be clear, you are of the belief that the smartest way to operate is to NOT have you backup players, in this case the back lb's, get meaningful snaps; all the while, knowing you have to find 3 new starters for the very next season. that's your position?
My position is that, as long as the result of the game is in doubt, we should be playing our best players.

And it's not like we've never seen anyone play. Hockaday has played the last two years when Jewell missed time. We went to the bench against the Buckeyes once we wrapped it up. They've been getting special team reps for years. They've been used appropriately.

but then again, we really don't know what we have with these 6 because we are so smart we didn't really let them play this season. I'd wager Honas figured he only had 2 seasons and didn't want to spend 1 behind someone "learning his assignments".
If he cant learn his assignments before the season, he is going to sit on the bench anywhere he goes. It's not like Iowa's defensive playbook is especially complicated. But if you dont understand how to do your job, you arent going to see the field.

Watching Honas highlights, this would not have been a problem for him. He is no Josey Jewell, but he is a smart player.

If he cant learn his assignments before the season, he is going to sit on the bench anywhere he goes. It's not like Iowa's defensive playbook is especially complicated. But if you dont understand how to do your job, you arent going to see the field.

Watching Honas highlights, this would not have been a problem for him. He is no Josey Jewell, but he is a smart player.

sam, we all know that kirk favors the line of succession philosophy.

The point was there were only a few games where they could play snaps, due to score, and they got them in those games. I would have liked to see them get more snaps too, but winning the game and playing a few guys (Jewell and Neiman) that will play on Sundays was pretty important. I think Neiman is way underrated...he can run and he's gotten alot bigger. In the NFL, you have to be able to blanket RBs and TEs, Neiman has shown he can do that. I'll be curious to see where he goes in the draft. I'm thinking in the 5th or 6th round.

The point was there were only a few games where they could play snaps, due to score, and they got them in those games. I would have liked to see them get more snaps too, but winning the game and playing a few guys (Jewell and Neiman) that will play on Sundays was pretty important. I think Neiman is way underrated...he can run and he's gotten alot bigger. In the NFL, you have to be able to blanket RBs and TEs, Neiman has shown he can do that. I'll be curious to see where he goes in the draft. I'm thinking in the 5th or 6th round.

and my point is that you must give backups playing time when the game is still in doubt because there is a different kind of intensity then when the game is decided. give the backups a series in each half. we don't do that as a matter of strategy.

Agree.Maybe big bowl win ?Tough players but REGENT AND BOOSTERS CARE ONLY ABOUT POWER AND MONEY no?

and my point is that you must give backups playing time when the game is still in doubt because there is a different kind of intensity then when the game is decided. give the backups a series in each half. we don't do that as a matter of strategy.

Yeah so Wiegers should have come in for OT at Iowa State or that last drive against Penn State. Ridiculous. You'd coach about 1 season.

Yeah so Wiegers should have come in for OT at Iowa State or that last drive against Penn State. Ridiculous. You'd coach about 1 season.

No. Amazing how folks can misundertand a post. I said backups should get a series in each half when the game was still undecided because the intensity level is greater. how you jumped to me saying our backup qb should have played in OT vs ISU or the last drive against PSU is for you to explain to us. I do think TW should have gotten a series in the first and second halves.

I see Honas signed with Nebraska. Man next year's schedule is brutal for them. He better get used to some losing. And Kinnick after Thanksgiving. Unless we have a lot of injuries stacked up I don't see how we lose to Nebraska then.

I don't get it, why would anyone sign with Nebraska when they have better offers? 30 years ago, maybe. Nebraska is a dumpster fire and has been for 10 years.

I see Honas signed with Nebraska. Man next year's schedule is brutal for them. He better get used to some losing. And Kinnick after Thanksgiving. Unless we have a lot of injuries stacked up I don't see how we lose to Nebraska then.

I look for that to be similar to this year. The year after that too

Latest posts