JUCO LB Will Honas

I don't get it, why would anyone sign with Nebraska when they have better offers? 30 years ago, maybe. Nebraska is a dumpster fire and has been for 10 years.

Maybe that fire is getting put out?
Maybe Honas, and others, love these new coaches?

Don't think the huskers will ever be the power of the past but I think they will be much more competitive.

sam, we all know that kirk favors the line of succession philosophy.
Do we? Were Bower and Jewell next in line when they were RS Fr? How about ISM? Certainly Fant is older than Pekar. Wirfs is obviously the elder tackle on the roster. And thank goodness we don't have Stanley starting over Weigers.

That's just recents. I can go all the way back to Greenway supplanting Worthy to show other examples.

Kirk has, and always has, played who he and his crew felt was the best player. Maybe you've never played football or any other team sport, but a HUGE part of being the best player at any position in any sport is understanding what it is you are supposed to be doing out there. Generally, guys that have been in the program longer have an advantage there. But there's been countless examples where younger guys learned their assignments well enough to take over the role early.

He is from Wichita, so . . .
images
I lived in Garden City Kansas for about 20 months of my life. It ain’t exactly a Garden.

I don't get it, why would anyone sign with Nebraska when they have better offers? 30 years ago, maybe. Nebraska is a dumpster fire and has been for 10 years.
Sounds like his JC coach worked with one of their new super-recruiter assistants a few years ago. And another one of the assistants who will be his position coach told him how great it was to play at Nebraska 25 years ago. Dude now gets to compete with four other guys for playing time.

Do we? Were Bower and Jewell next in line when they were RS Fr? How about ISM? Certainly Fant is older than Pekar. Wirfs is obviously the elder tackle on the roster. And thank goodness we don't have Stanley starting over Weigers.

That's just recents. I can go all the way back to Greenway supplanting Worthy to show other examples.

Kirk has, and always has, played who he and his crew felt was the best player. Maybe you've never played football or any other team sport, but a HUGE part of being the best player at any position in any sport is understanding what it is you are supposed to be doing out there. Generally, guys that have been in the program longer have an advantage there. But there's been countless examples where younger guys learned their assignments well enough to take over the role early.

I've never understood where the whole "Kirk never starts young guys" narrative comes from. Generally speaking, Iowa hasn't played a lot of young players at HB because of ball security issues, but at every other position, we've seen younger players win starting spots.

I've never understood where the whole "Kirk never starts young guys" narrative comes from. Generally speaking, Iowa hasn't played a lot of young players at HB because of ball security issues, but at every other position, we've seen younger players win starting spots.
Sometimes, there have been younger guys who showed promise but didn't see the field much early. But for every DJK and Willies, there is a D. Douglas or ISM. Some guys get a cult following, but never pan out like Nico Law or Reggie Spearman. But its not like they dont get a chance. They had athletic talent, but they blew their assignments all the time and were obvious liabilities on the field.

Latest posts