Josh Oglesby Cuts List to Four Schools

This is very typical with some of the people on this board. A kid from Iowa isn't good enough in their minds. It is really unfair to a kid like Oglesby. He has played and excelled against the best kids in the country and gets offers from MN, ASU, etc but he isn't good enough for Iowa. Sounds very similar to the comments that were being made about McCabe last summer and May the summer before. A team needs guys like Oglesby, May and McCabe who have skills and know how make a team a team and not a group of individuals. Ogelsby reminds me of a Bobby Hanson type player. Great shooter, defensive hustler, good passer. Iowa needs a player like Oglesby.

The sad part is that we always got the best players in Iowa to attend Iowa 10 years ago and beyond.

Now, we are lucky if we get the 'next' guys to attend.

The next 3 years are loaded with talent. So far, we have struck out.

The sad part is that we always got the best players in Iowa to attend Iowa 10 years ago and beyond.

Now, we are lucky if we get the 'next' guys to attend.

The next 3 years are loaded with talent. So far, we have struck out.

Lotta selective memory on this thread.

Fans clearly want Josh to be a Hawk,but the announcement that we are in his final four is not exactly earth-shattering news that would send fans into spasms of excitement. We were in Uthoff's and JaBo's final four also...so while it is good news, we are a bit gunshy on celebrating this feat.

As for not getting the top Iowa players in the last decade?
Who have we not gotten?
Barnes and JaBo...as far as I know are the only two Mr.BB's that Iowa has recruited and not gotten.
Top players we have gotten:
Worely,Horner,Bru,Haluska(if we had enough schollys and offered,he would have been ours right out of HS),Henderson,Reed,Alex Thompson,Gatens,May,Cougill,McCabe. I believe that would be every Mr BB (outside of JaBo and Barnes)cept for Clay Vette,who we did not really pursue that hard and was not a great player in college.

As for prior to this decade....three of the top players in Iowa HS history,LaFrentz,Hinrich and Collison went to Kansas...not good.

Bottom line, I will celebrate when Josh Oglesby actually commits to Iowa,and not before.

I disagree with you, Iowa has a good core group of players that will be around for a couple seasons. That means a lot of experience, Iowa needs to add players that compliment what they have. All I mean, is that right now, Iowa has glaring needs in the frontcourt becasue there is little depth and if you believe what you read, Iowa will loose Archie as well as Cole when this season is over. That leaves Basabe and Brommer as the only scholarship players in the frontcourt, today. That could change with the addition of whoever Iowa gets in the 2011 class. I would be okay with Brommer and Basabe being the starters and players like Katenda, Lawson, McDonald or whomever is brought in that can provide immediate depth and a rotation. If and it is a big if, that happens, Iowa signs three frontcourt players in the coming class, Iowa could make real noise in the Big Ten and make a run at the NCAA tournament with all the experience and a real roster and the huge looses that are going to happen after this basketball season with this senior class. What Iowa needs is depth and a bench that can contribute.

Didn't Archie red-shriting mean he'll be here for 2 more years?

I had heard that apparently Oglesby told someone that Iowa was his top choice. Just heresay, but good news if true.

I had heard that apparently Oglesby told someone that Iowa was his top choice. Just heresay, but good news if true.

Good news indeed...

Many Iowa fans are hoping that Ogelsby is a big part of that 2011 class along with Coleman + Brooks + "a big". Iowa must get one athletic big man in 2011. Follow that up with Woodbury and maybe one other big in 2012 and we got something going on upfront.

Maybe I am an idiot and that is okay, but I really think that Iowa has to get two big guys in the 2011 class, or more. If Archie and Cole leave, that is only Brommer and Basabe in the frontcourt, definitely a huge need. If Iowa comes away with only one guard and it is Oglesby, then I am fine with it. There is depth in the backcourt, but none up front. Even if Iowa were to get three bigs, it still doesn't rule out Woodbury since Brommer would be leaving after the 2011 season. The 2012 class is the one to reload the backcourt with all the options just from the state of Iowa, I like Iowa's chances of reloading that part of the team.

It certainly appears FM is going after more than one big for 2011. He has the rides to give and I'd be very surprised if he sits on them.

Maybe I am an idiot and that is okay, but I really think that Iowa has to get two big guys in the 2011 class, or more. If Archie and Cole leave, that is only Brommer and Basabe in the frontcourt, definitely a huge need. If Iowa comes away with only one guard and it is Oglesby, then I am fine with it. There is depth in the backcourt, but none up front. Even if Iowa were to get three bigs, it still doesn't rule out Woodbury since Brommer would be leaving after the 2011 season. The 2012 class is the one to reload the backcourt with all the options just from the state of Iowa, I like Iowa's chances of reloading that part of the team.

I agree that we are in serious need of some help up front. But Coleman, Oglesby, and Brooks are three very, very talented players. I think if all three want to commit that we have to take them. We are definitely the leader for Brooks and Coleman, and we have a great chance at Josh. Those three players also complement each other quite well.

I agree that we are in serious need of some help up front. But Coleman, Oglesby, and Brooks are three very, very talented players. I think if all three want to commit that we have to take them. We are definitely the leader for Brooks and Coleman, and we have a great chance at Josh. Those three players also complement each other quite well.

Here is the only problem, it isn't that I don't want any all of these players, how do you spread all the playing time with all the players Iowa currently has and adding three more to the mix? I just think it is so important to get depth along the frontline when you see the teams in the Big Ten loading up every year and Iowa simply cannot matchup, Basabe is a terrific start, but one is just not enough.
The class I would love to see is this: Coleman, Oglesby, McDonald and Katenda. All bring good size and athleticism at their positions. If Archie is not back, then I would like to see another big man added, even if it is someone that needs to redshirt and some development.

I know what you are saying here,but, I think the imperative for Fran is to get the best possible players onto the roster,despite size.
My scenario:

We have 4 to give right now.
We ink Oglesby,Coleman,Brooks,and a big like Katenda or even Travis.
Then if Archie decides to leave....we get another big in the spring,preferably a good juco guy who is ready to play immediately.
That would leave us with Basabe,Brommer,Katenda,Juco guy,and McCabe as a center/power forward rotation. Not bad.
Then in the backcourt we have Payne,Cartwright,Marble,May,Gatens,Brooks,Oglesby and Coleman for the three guard positions. Not bad.
Then for 2012-13 you have 3 to give with Gatens,Brommer and Cartwright leaving, and you add a center in Woodbury, and a pg in Paige(hopefully) and a forward in Lawson/Murphy/Harris...giving you Basabe,Katenda,Juco guy,McCabe,Woodbury and Lawson ect....plenty of depth in the frontline.

I know what you are saying here,but, I think the imperative for Fran is to get the best possible players onto the roster,despite size.
My scenario:

We have 4 to give right now.
We ink Oglesby,Coleman,Brooks,and a big like Katenda or even Travis.
Then if Archie decides to leave....we get another big in the spring,preferably a good juco guy who is ready to play immediately.
That would leave us with Basabe,Brommer,Katenda,Juco guy,and McCabe as a center/power forward rotation. Not bad.
Then in the backcourt we have Payne,Cartwright,Marble,May,Gatens,Brooks,Oglesby and Coleman for the three guard positions. Not bad.
Then for 2012-13 you have 3 to give with Gatens,Brommer and Cartwright leaving, and you add a center in Woodbury, and a pg in Paige(hopefully) and a forward in Lawson/Murphy/Harris...giving you Basabe,Katenda,Juco guy,McCabe,Woodbury and Lawson ect....plenty of depth in the frontline.

Not disagreeing with you simply because if you don't have guards, you don't have a team. Depth at guard is what takes you deep into the postseason and can create match-up nightmares.
My real concern is the depth, I don't really like to see May or McCabe being mentioned as a "4", it frightens me.
Look at the frontlines that some of the other teams in the BT are putting on the floor and Iowa cannot match-up. Versatility is one thing, but Iowa does have to get back to being Iowa in a sense too. Remember when Iowa was talked about as being one of the top rebounding teams in the country? I really don't remember Iowa having great size overall, but they had enough to control that aspect of the game. At the same time, they played uptempo and it was "fun" for all watching.
If Iowa doesn't get some size in the 2011 class, the turnaround may take longer than anticipated.
That one JUCO guy you are talking about, I hope it isn't Cougill, unless he gets in shape.
Another thing, this Brooks kid has academic issues and that scares me as well.
Iowa needs players like him, but without the questions, my question is this, if there weren't the academic issues, would he have offers from some better schools?
One thing is for sure, I haven't talked about Iowa basketball recruiting this much for some time because there hasn't been a reason too, and it really excites me.

Latest posts