Josh Dix looked like Tony Perkins from last year

InGoodCo

It's just one game, but he logged 31 minutes last night and IMO, he was playing like a hybrid PG for most of the game. IMO, it looked like Tony Perkins did at a lot of points last season. His emergence could be very critical to this teams ceiling. It was one game, but if we can get some production out of him like that in big games against good teams, that's going to be a plus.

Critically, Dix was on the floor at the end of the Rutgers game. One, because he is dependable at the stripe, and two he plays excellent defense. Was not surprised to see him get so many minutes against Michigan. He is steady.

I was thinking the same thing. As I watched the game unfold, it became obvious that he was growing up in front of our eyes. If I were Uhlis, I wouldn't count on playing the same minutes moving forward.

Dix has made the adjustment from High School/AAU competition better than expected despite being injured in 2022. It seems like he understands his role in the offense, but also knows what the roles are of the other four players. I'm not certain where he is at defensively when Iowa is giving up a lot of points. If Iowa can hold unto Dix, Bowen, Ulis, and Perkins it would be good news.

I just said to my wife several times, the way he was handling the ball at the top of the key and setting up the offense, it looked so much like TP from last year towards the end. He can definitely shoot it a whole lot better than Tony. Tony's a dawg, but his shooting.... woof.

I just said to my wife several times, the way he was handling the ball at the top of the key and setting up the offense, it looked so much like TP from last year towards the end. He can definitely shoot it a whole lot better than Tony. Tony's a dawg, but his shooting.... woof.
Yeah TP has no touch it doesn't look like. I wish he'd go to the hoop more. He can make FTs. Go draw us some fouls I think he can do that.

Perk has one of those shots that was learned later in life, good shooters like Dix and Peyton were taught the right way to shoot from an early age. Which always surprises me when I see Patrick's push shot. I don't believe Perkins shot will ever be consistent. I don't care that much because we need Perkins to rebound, play D, and take it to the rack.

Dix is a way better athlete. He was a high flyer before his leg injury and hopefully we get to see that spring again. He dunked on guys in high school.
I agree. As far as their roles of being a ball handling swing guard that can shoot whenever open that's exactly what they need. If Dix can provide more of a dribble drive aspect to his game then that'd be great.

ehh they are pretty different players.

Dix looks like a better ball handler than Perkins and a better shooter.

Perkins a lot quicker and explosive to the hole - but can be a turnover machine.

Dix has made the adjustment from High School/AAU competition better than expected despite being injured in 2022. It seems like he understands his role in the offense, but also knows what the roles are of the other four players. I'm not certain where he is at defensively when Iowa is giving up a lot of points. If Iowa can hold unto Dix, Bowen, Ulis, and Perkins it would be good news.

And it has to be kind of difficult coming back from breaking both legs. Trusting that it is healing and good to go can be a mind @uck at times, especially for young guys. Now that he seems to be trusting his health, he seems so much more comfortable.

Last edited:

A taller PG or someone who can play PG with some handles is such a luxury to a team. This is like a really nice bonus for Iowa happening. It's just another interchangeable player for Fran. When you can bring in different personal and not have to adjust what has been working, that is huge.

Yeah TP has no touch it doesn't look like. I wish he'd go to the hoop more. He can make FTs. Go draw us some fouls I think he can do that.
He's got a nice little mid range shot if open in the middle of the lane.

But boy, those thunderous dunks are sure fun. He just explodes. He's done that a couple times this season.

ehh they are pretty different players.

Dix looks like a better ball handler than Perkins and a better shooter.

Perkins a lot quicker and explosive to the hole - but can be a turnover machine.

Agree. It's tough to compare their skillets and they both bring something a little different.

He's got a nice little mid range shot if open in the middle of the lane.

But boy, those thunderous dunks are sure fun. He just explodes. He's done that a couple times this season.
Imagine that he went to the hole almost religiously against MD and look what happened. He needed that game and I couldn't be happier for him

A taller PG or someone who can play PG with some handles is such a luxury to a team. This is like a really nice bonus for Iowa happening. It's just another interchangeable player for Fran. When you can bring in different personal and not have to adjust what has been working, that is huge.
We may not have the deepest bench, but notice how we almost never have those long, middle of the half scoring droughts that plagued so many of previous Fran teams?

And Dix is a big part of that bench.

Latest posts