Joseph Toye Commits To....

Vandy is the Harvard of the South, and costs 75k/yr. Iowa does not measure up to Vandy or NW academically.

I am discouraged by our recruiting. When Iowa hires a bb coach, recruiting is the biggest challenge and the most important aspect of the job. I like Fran very much, but once again I am not sure we make it clear to him that he will have to be 50% better recruiting than all other Big Ten coaches. We need a super-recruiter to have a chance to compete in the league....just being average will not cut it.

I get tired of always having to depend on ''projects'' in bb and football. I know...we are just Iowa and we should not expect to ever attract top players from out of state, unlike Hoiberg. Fran needs to hire Calipari's top recruiter and give him 1 million/yr.

You really think Calipari's top recruiter is going to get it done for Fran. It's Cal that gets it done for UK. Look at Memphis, they have been ok and gotten a few good recruits with Cal's best man, and Cal left them in a pretty good spot.

Now what coach are you going to hire, that will come to Iowa, and do a better job of recruiting than Fran. Sometimes kids just want to go elsewhere, you can't help that.

Vandy is the Harvard of the South, and costs 75k/yr. Iowa does not measure up to Vandy or NW academically.

I am discouraged by our recruiting. When Iowa hires a bb coach, recruiting is the biggest challenge and the most important aspect of the job. I like Fran very much, but once again I am not sure we make it clear to him that he will have to be 50% better recruiting than all other Big Ten coaches. We need a super-recruiter to have a chance to compete in the league....just being average will not cut it.

I get tired of always having to depend on ''projects'' in bb and football. I know...we are just Iowa and we should not expect to ever attract top players from out of state, unlike Hoiberg. Fran needs to hire Calipari's top recruiter and give him 1 million/yr.

I'm not sure that's going to make a lot of difference. Iowa City is still Iowa City.

You really think Calipari's top recruiter is going to get it done for Fran. It's Cal that gets it done for UK. Look at Memphis, they have been ok and gotten a few good recruits with Cal's best man, and Cal left them in a pretty good spot.

Now what coach are you going to hire, that will come to Iowa, and do a better job of recruiting than Fran. Sometimes kids just want to go elsewhere, you can't help that.

But who wouldn't want to come to the Utopia that is Iowa City? And play for our powerhouse basketball program? Fran should be doing a wayyy better job. The program should pretty much sell itself.

I like Fran a lot, but lets not kid ourselves, Fran and his staff have not been very impressive recruiting-wise, so far, imo. I am concerned that Fran with the staff as it is, will never turn the corner.

This line is exactly the way I view Iowa's situation. Some people say that Iowa's inherent recruiting disadvantages is why Iowa needs a great coach. I see where they are coming from, but to me, that means the opposite - that is why Iowa needs a great RECRUITER. I don't care how good of an X's and O's guy we have - if our coach is an average recruiter, we just aren't going to have the talent to compete at a high level with the in-state recruiting base we have to work with. Simple as that. Gotta have someone (assistants included) with the chops to cross the state line and be able to bring in a recruit that has offers from other solid programs.

I like Fran a lot, but lets not kid ourselves, Fran and his staff have not been very impressive recruiting-wise, so far, imo. I am concerned that Fran with the staff as it is, will never turn the corner.

Lavell Jordan couldn't recruit to Iowa under Lick. He seems pretty good at it at Michigan. I think Francis and McCafery himself are pretty good recruiters. But it is hard to recruit to Iowa City and has been for nearly two decades.

Iowa does not offer an obviously better product than any other nearby schools such as Minnesota, Nebraska, Marquette, Iowa State, Kansas State, or heck even Creighton now that they have stepped up in conferences. City schools such as Marquette, Depaul, Dayton, Xaiver, St. Louis U, all offer an urban environment that many kids prefer and decent basketball.

The kids we are recruiting now were in elementary school when Alford was our coach and any "tradition" we had prior is meaningless to them. Iowa, to most kids, is historically a bottom-feeder Big 10 school in a cold-weather climate, in a random and rural town in Iowa, that is completely foreign to them, and at least a 3 or 4 hour drive from where they grew up. No wonder it is hard to get out-of-state Top 150 kids.

I don't know about you, but I think the rest of us were talking currently, as in present day. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to be able to, we can't go back in time and nix that hire of Lickliter.

So after four years of almost consistent improvement minus one month, you think it's time to fire Fran to hire a "super recruiter"? Good take.

Answer me this...what play-in game did Vandy make last year? We should be beating the likes of Vandy for these borderline top 100 guys.

Lavell Jordan couldn't recruit to Iowa under Lick. He seems pretty good at it at Michigan. I think Francis and McCafery himself are pretty good recruiters. But it is hard to recruit to Iowa City and has been for nearly two decades.

Iowa does not offer an obviously better product than any other nearby schools such as Minnesota, Nebraska, Marquette, Iowa State, Kansas State, or heck even Creighton now that they have stepped up in conferences. City schools such as Marquette, Depaul, Dayton, Xaiver, St. Louis U, all offer an urban environment that many kids prefer and decent basketball.

The kids we are recruiting now were in elementary school when Alford was our coach and any "tradition" we had prior is meaningless to them. Iowa, to most kids, is historically a bottom-feeder Big 10 school in a cold-weather climate, in a random and rural town in Iowa, that is completely foreign to them, and at least a 3 or 4 hour drive from where they grew up. No wonder it is hard to get out-of-state Top 150 kids.

Well said, the lack of perspective around here always amazes me.

UI needs to be actually in the Big Dance to have any hope of moving upward on the recruiting trail on highly rated players. Not being in the tourney since 2006 hurts on this front for sure. Time to move to the next player but time is running out on this signing period.

UI needs to be actually in the Big Dance to have any hope of moving upward on the recruiting trail on highly rated players. Not being in the tourney since 2006 hurts on this front for sure. Time to move to the next player but time is running out on this signing period.

Try again.

Answer me this...what play-in game did Vandy make last year? We should be beating the likes of Vandy for these borderline top 100 guys.

Please, even your "Super dreamy" coach Hoiberg loses these battles. Lost a kid to UNLV, I mean really? Going to lose Cunningham to Dayton?

It is recruiting, and nothing on this planet can explain a 18 year old's thought process in picking a school lots of times.

I think it just means that high school recruits don't count the play in games as tourney appearances either and thus he didn't take Fran seriously when talking about the tourney.

Sounds like a good kid, too bad we couldn't get him, so now I'm thinking of a post from last week when Jok got busted....Fran couldn't really comment on that situation as he was recruiting in Cali...I wonder who....You guys have anything on that?

Fran may have attended the opening session of Nike's elite spring/summer league in Sacramento this past weekend.

Please, even your "Super dreamy" coach Hoiberg loses these battles. Lost a kid to UNLV, I mean really? Going to lose Cunningham to Dayton?

It is recruiting, and nothing on this planet can explain a 18 year old's thought process in picking a school lots of times.

ISU and Cunningham parted ways a long time ago.

Latest posts