Jon's new article

Some folks here just cited a whole list of reasons (population, recruiting base, etc) as to why it's harder to win at Iowa and the response is "no excuses." Of course you can compete at Iowa. The school is in the Big 10, which by definition allows the school to compete. But there are literally reasons why it's harder for Iowa to compete on a routine basis. Again, it doesn't mean it's not possible. Lute and Raveling proved you could recruit good players. They also both moved on to what they thought were better jobs, likely since they were tired of battling the inherent disadvantages to coaching at Iowa.

Half of the 14 Big 10 schools have built in advantages and all 14 are trying to will themselves to victory. It doesn't even cross some people's minds that other teams have a say on where we finish too. They think as long as we do what we should do, we will win reguardless of what everyone else does. Well what happens when we do what we need to do AND other teams do what they need to do? We win automatically because we're Iowa? I'll tell you right now, if we do what we need to do, we still need teams like Ohio State and Indiana to not do what they need to do. Because if Ohio State, Indiana, and Iowa all do what they need to do, Iowa will finish 3rd of the bunch. We don't automatically win as long as we do what we need to do.

Gable was a great athlete and coach. I think we all know his attitude and drive

Gable knew wrestling better than anyone in the world probably. He also had a ton of drive. Having the ability he had made it almost impossible for others to compete, no matter how much will they had. Him having the ability and will was impossible for others to overcome.

That is where Penn State is now. They didn't become awesome because they finally decided to get some will. They became awesome because the next Dan Gable wanted to coach there. Now it doesn't matter what Iowa does, they are fighting for 2nd place.

Gable was a great athlete and coach. I think we all know his attitude and drive

A thought.
Gable was a legendary athlete before becoming a legendary coach.
Kirk and Fran? Not sure on FM but Kirk in his own words wasn't a memorable football player.
I think that explains a lot. Gable experienced first hand what it is like to be unwilling to lose. Kirk and Fran reached a certain comfort zone with losing as athletes.
There's your explanation for the difference between those men. One of them couldn't imagine what it's like to lose. The other two expected it because of their very personal experiences. Certainly KF is too forgiving with losing.

Gable knew wrestling better than anyone in the world probably. He also had a ton of drive. Having the ability he had made it almost impossible for others to compete, no matter how much will they had. Him having the ability and will was impossible for others to overcome.

That is where Penn State is now. They didn't become awesome because they finally decided to get some will. They became awesome because the next Dan Gable wanted to coach there. Now it doesn't matter what Iowa does, they are fighting for 2nd place.
Well then i guess this shows that there arent just a few great coaches out there. A lot of people seem content with mediocrity, i am not one of those fans and just because others see it my way doesn't make them trolls necessarily.

A thought.
Kirk and Fran? Not sure on FM but Kirk in his own words wasn't a memorable football player.
I think that explains a lot. Gable experienced first hand what it is like to be unwilling to lose. Kirk and Fran reached a certain comfort zone with losing as athletes.
There's your explanation for the difference between those men. One of them couldn't imagine what it's like to lose. The other two expected it because of their very personal experiences. Certainly KF is too forgiving with losing.
This

A thought.

Come on now Fran's nickname was "White Magic" isn't that memorable enough?

Come on now Fran's nickname was "White Magic" isn't that memorable enough?

You are correct sir. FM did experience real success as a BBall player, unlike Kirk. So I stand corrected. I shall now grant him one additional season. But then I think of Alford and immediately take back that extra season.;)

You are correct sir. FM did experience real success as a BBall player, unlike Kirk. So I stand corrected. I shall now grant him one additional season. But then I think of Alford and immediately take back that extra season.;)

You don't have to grant him an additional season. I just love the nickname. But nicknames don't win championships, at least I don't think they do.

You don't have to grant him an additional season. I just love the nickname. But nicknames don't win championships, at least I don't think they do.

I too love the nickname White Magic. And he earned it from what I've read. Just think, if he had been a Philly legend in this decade his nickname would've been White Privilege.

Kirk has been coasting for a long time...focus now is getting sonny into the legacy coaching position...

The fire went out a long time ago...

Fran just doesn't seem to be that good of a coach...to me...his fire often gets misdirected into rage...

You have your fans

And you have your loyal fans

There is a difference. Loyal fans follow and support their team through thick and thin

Even through the Lickliter years there were those who watched every game because they were Hawkeye fans

It was brutal, but they watched and cheered the wins and watched the losses to search for development, sometimes a futile task

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a loyal Hawkeye fan

Everyone is entitled to their opinion

The critics and everyone else.....

:cool:

No one is ok with this season by itself. Some people just understand there will be down years. But some of those people are still not ok with how down this year is.

The biggest issue I have are people were calling for Fran's head during our good years too. During the years where Fran was taking us up every single year. Those people marked themselves as people who won't be happy no matter what. Now they have no ground to stand on while saying the same shit they were saying when we were making tournaments.
I knew exactly what Fran's ceiling was when the team tanked during the end of 2015-16 season. He had no answer. That was a huge red flag. And he has no answer now. We have seen the top of the mountain with Fran McCaffery. The top isn't very high and this is the low.

Uh-huh.
And Barta gets to live in his own private Taj Mahal and retire a rich man because he is being paid to find the best coaches for Iowa. It's hard to argue that's what he has done.

I knew exactly what Fran's ceiling was when the team tanked during the end of 2015-16 season. He had no answer. That was a huge red flag. And he has no answer now. We have seen the top of the mountain with Fran McCaffery. The top isn't very high and this is the low.

He had answered when we sucked st the beginning of White's senior year. He had answered we we sucked at the beginning of Uthoff's senior year. He had answers when we sucked at the beginning of last year.

He had answered when we sucked st the beginning of White's senior year. He had answered we we sucked at the beginning of Uthoff's senior year. He had answers when we sucked at the beginning of last year.
Dude, just stop already.

Since Valentines day, 2016...It's pretty much been a downward spiral into the pit of Basketball Hell.

The silence is deafening. There's no right answers. I like Fran but I'm beginning to doubt his ability to take us to the NCAA's. There's no answers from me right now.

Latest posts