Jon....you have some explaining to do

Just one thing for Jon.... Please stop with the "higher than thou" attitude of you no longer getting chippy because of a loss. We get you are not going to get fired up anymore and that's fine but when you mention it in your comments "I am not going to get irrate like some of you" it comes across like you are above us somehow. Leave it be and just give us your analysis. You're doing great still with the analysis/opinion part, just don't keep up with "I'm not going to show unbridaled passion like you all part." End rant

Just one thing for Jon.... Please stop with the "higher than thou" attitude of you no longer getting chippy because of a loss. We get you are not going to get fired up anymore and that's fine but when you mention it in your comments "I am not going to get irrate like some of you" it comes across like you are above us somehow. Leave it be and just give us your analysis. You're doing great still with the analysis/opinion part, just don't keep up with "I'm not going to show unbridaled passion like you all part." End rant

Firstly, it's "holier than thou."
Secondly, you said he's doing great with the opinion part... just not the opinions you don't like?
Also, check the facts:
He didn't get irate, but some people are irate - that checks out.
He didn't show unbridled passion (as he has done in the past), but some are doing just that - check.

I get it, I'm salty too. I don't like watching the good guys put up a putrid product like they did in the NW game. But why are you so invested in Jon Miller's opinions?

I know a lot of people have been hard on Brian through all this and I will admit Saturday was very frustrating to watch but I do think Kirk is handcuffing him and limiting what he can do which is really hurting this team. Brian wants to get Wadley in space and would do it if he was allowed to. Kirk is just too old school from how he runs the offense down to his awful recruiting policy.

I'm also not going to call for KF's head while he delivers average-to-better-than-average year in and year out
I'm not really willing to trade guaranteed .500+ ball for a 50/50 shot at 9-3 or 3-9.
I'm not calling for KF's head either. Thanks to Barta we're years away from that being a possibility.

But "guaranteed .500+ ball"? The schedule practically takes care of that. 3 easy non-cons plus Illinois, Purdue, & Minny = 6 wins every year. Rutgers some years. Doesn't take a Saban / Meyer to get 6 wins from that.

C'mon man, is that really what you think I was saying? Just in case it is, let me clarify:

Kansas is not the only example of schools that we don't ever have to worry about being like under KF. Can we do better? Sure? Who can we get to do better? I don't know right off the bat. But I'm also not going to call for KF's head while he delivers average-to-better-than-average year in and year out until we've got the next coach lined up. I guess you can color me risk-averse, and you'd likely be correct, but I'm not really willing to trade guaranteed .500+ ball for a 50/50 shot at 9-3 or 3-9. I guess I'd rather ride the horse I know can get me over that river than change to an unknown horse that I don't know whether it will sink and drown me or carry me off to the promised land unless I have to.

there are probably a billion coaches in America that could steer Iowa to 6-6 records. almost all could it with not cheating, as well. "The only thing to fear, is fear itself." Look, kirk is gonna stick around just long enough to become the all time winingest coach at Iowa and then to force brian to become the new HC. why do we believe that only a ferentz can ever lead Iowa to 5-8 wins?

there are probably a billion coaches in America that could steer Iowa to 6-6 records. almost all could it with not cheating, as well. "The only thing to fear, is fear itself." Look, kirk is gonna stick around just long enough to become the all time winingest coach at Iowa and then to force brian to become the new HC. why do we believe that only a ferentz can ever lead Iowa to 5-8 wins?

We are what we are:
zombies.jpg

1971....I'm glad it's just not me getting tired of that....it is very pompous and "above it all" sounding....especially when he mentions it 2-3 times every podcast after a turd laying loss.

1971....I'm glad it's just not me getting tired of that....it is very pompous and "above it all" sounding....especially when he mentions it 2-3 times every podcast after a turd laying loss.

Now this is just classic you calling someone Pompous, beings that you are the king of being Pompous. :)

I guess what most people on this board are wanting to see is some sort of semblance of an offense. Even with two future NFL QB's this offense just couldn't get on track last year and the year before that .....with a senior QB last year. Even the bad teams we play seem to find a rythem to their offense at some point in the game. When has anyone felt that way about Iowa's offense. It's as fragile as a baby chick, it lurches and sputters and goes nowhere most of the time. If it were a car it would be a lemon. Team's with lessor talent look better, I'm just not buying all the excuses.

You can be a creative OC...but without talent...the plays stay on the chalk board...

Unfortunately, that is becoming more clear as the season progresses...again...

It's a team game - I put the blame in a lot of places. - 10 points is pathetic. The players and the Coaches would say that. It's not getting it done. I am not happy about losing. Never have been. I don't always have to be positive - especially after a pretty bad weekend. But... I always have the perspective to see that while Iowa has lows, it's not as dire or low as some of their peers during down seasons. 8 wins and 2nd place in the division will always be an above average season for Iowa IMO.

He's goading you.

A few definitions to clear up the mire...

Hope: a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.
Predict: say or estimate that (a specified thing) will happen in the future or will be a consequence of something.

We hope to play for an NC every year. I think we can safely say KF does, too. If you think any differently then you do not at all understand the mentality that ALL coaches at D1 and D2 schools have. Here is where you can argue things rationally in terms of hope - Is KF the right coach to give you a chance to realize (read: expect) this hope once in a generation? Semi-regularly? Regularly? Is BF the right OC to realize these hopes? Do we have the players/talent/experience on this roster currently to realize this hope? The answers to these questions would then feed into our expectations, but would not change our hopes. Jon did not speak to hopes in his podcast, therefore I think we can safely say that, at minimum, we do not know that he hopes for 6-6. Also, a hope is a feeling, not a statement of fact.

Now, we get to predictions. These are estimations of a specific nature for what will happen in the future given current conditions. Jon was predicting 6-6, not hoping for 6-6. He even went through an entire spiel about what it would take for Iowa to still win a B1G championship. Sounds like he wants, hopes for, desires better than 6-6. We all do.

There are ~130 teams currently playing for a D1 national championship. Using the most liberal definition of a national championship (including ties and different poll results as individual champions) only 44 different schools have EVER won a D1 (or D1 equivalent) national championship since 1869. And seven of those schools are not even FBS teams any longer (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Penn, Chicago, Lafayette) This means that of the 130 teams, only 38 have ever won a championship. Iowa is one of those 38. Iowa is one of only 6 Big Ten teams to ever win a national championship (while in the Big Ten, so PSU would not count, but Chicago does) Since 1999 when Kirk Ferentz took over, only 11 different teams have one a national championship. 11 out of 130. Those schools? Alabama (4), Auburn (1), Ohio State (2), Texas (1), USC (2), LSU (2), Clemson (1), Florida (2), Florida State (2), Oklahoma (1), Miami (1). Only 2 schools and three champions since 1999 have come from north of the Mason-Dixon Line. Four schools and 9 champions from the SEC alone. Random odds that a B1G school wins a championship since 1999, given B1G success = 11.1%. Odds that any one team in the nation wins a championship since 1999, given purely random selection = 14.8%. And yet you want us to EXPECT to win an NC or compete for one every year when even given the best odds possible (random selection) are only 14.8% that we could have won even ONE under KF. Oh wait... we were inches away from playing for an NC in 2015.

So this is very long-winded, so here's the TLDR, the take home point:
We're better off the last 19 years than most schools in the nation. Let's take a minute to readjust our expectations and differentiate them from our hopes. We all hope for the best, but at least we don't have to expect the worst (Kansas).

Long, but I like it.

A lot of my posts? Seriously? But sense U brought it up, when a team has 8 years sub 140 on rushing and 6 below 130 and 4 give or take below 100 yds per game you think Iowa historically has very O Line play?

You know how many NW has below 140 in 12 years for Fitz? 4. How many below 100- None

Wisky has had 4 coaches under KF's watch. You know how many times they've rushed for under 160? 1. How many times under 150 for a year? 0

So define your definition of outstanding line play Historically? IS NW a known school for line play?

Iowa historically has good, if not great line play. Iowa's record is quite stellar when they rush over 100 yards.

Normally, I would join you on the lack of playmakers at WR...except I actually think Iowa has as many potential playmakers in the passing game as they have had at least since 2010, if not much farther back. They are just young, being thrown to by a true soph QB who has seven starts to his name, with two freshmen tackles helping to block up the edge.

The team is certainly young. But my God, Jon, if that horrendous 2nd half "offense" proves to be a microcosm of the remainder of the season, Iowa will be lucky to get to 6 wins and go to the King Oscar Sardine Bowl.

Years ago, (2014?), you compared Ferentz's offense to a stale 1960s bottle of Aqua Velva. What's changed?

Iowa historically has good, if not great line play. Iowa's record is quite stellar when they rush over 100 yards.

What is your definition is good. To me that number is 160 yds per game rushing. Great is 190 give or take. 150 is average. Using that standard, Iowa is below average a lot. Poor is below 130. Iowa is below 130 quite a bit.

What is your definition is good. To me that number is 160 yds per game rushing. Great is 190 give or take. 150 is average. Using that standard, Iowa is below average a lot. Poor is below 130. Iowa is below 130 quite a bit.

Based on Iowa's overall philosophy in games over the last 20 years, and the results therein, 100-120+ is good.

Iowa's record, overall, is very good when they go 100+ rushing in that timeframe.

In all but about 4-5 years, Iowa's oline and running game has been good.

I guess EVERYONE on this board are wanting to see is some sort of semblance of an offense. Even with two future NFL QB's this offense just couldn't get on track last year and the year before that .....with a senior QB last year. Even the bad teams we play seem to find a rythem to their offense at some point in the game. When has anyone felt that way about Iowa's offense. It's as fragile as a baby chick, it lurches and sputters and goes nowhere most of the time. If it were a car it would be a lemon. Team's with lessor talent look better, I'm just not buying all the excuses.

FIFY

Latest posts