Jon - was this the most agitated pressser of KF's era?

BSpringsteen

Reading the transcript today, this is the most agitated I have ever seen Ferentz. He seemed to really not be enjoying himself these days.

So my question for Jon et al... Is this the saltiest you've seen Ferentz during a presser?

He's had bad losses before, but the line of questioning seemed to really be ******* him off today.

Last edited:
It is hard to have fun when 6 of your last 13 games have resulted in losses of 4 points or less, and in each of those games Iowa had a lead in the 4th quarter.

Iowa's coaching staff has not been very effective. Something has to change to reverse this awful trend.

It doesn't help when we are already dealing with a tough loss to have an obnoxious reporter (Howe) start talking about an irrelevant issue (DJK).

There have been years where things have gotten chippy in November...last year was one...but this is in the top 5

Well he usually just has the same answers each week in pressers regardless of the questions. Credit to the opponent, we have to get better, etc etc

There have been years where things have gotten chippy in November...last year was one...but this is in the top 5

Say more.

What do you attribute this to?

I watched a couple of the videos but even reading it, he came across as a bottom hole, which is really odd for him.

Is it possible that he is really concerned about this year and can see the writing on the wall for the future press conferences?

Or is it more likely that the last convincing win that Iowa had was against Michigan State and the close losses are starting to get to him?

Just curious, this deemed out of character for him.

When reading the transcript you could sort of feel Kirk was getting a little agitated. His answers were much, much shorter ... Now, after seeing the video of Howe asking Kirk about DJK I think I would have been agitated too. Not sure what Howe was digging for. Kirk had responded by saying he did not talk to any NFL teams about DJK ... Done deal ... Now, if Howe wants to contradict Kirk he needs to do some actual digging and find an NFL rep or two who says something to the contrary ...

You can tell Ferentz was none too happy about losing to ISU. You know damn well he's sick of hearing people second guess his decisions and he is most certainly still second guessing himself.

You can tell Ferentz was none too happy about losing to ISU. You know damn well he's sick of hearing people second guess his decisions and he is most certainly still second guessing himself.

I'd be frustrated with the second-guessing, too. But it comes with the territory. If the media is going to cover college sports, they need to ask the tough questions when the time comes. Otherwise there's no point in them being there at all.

I'm guessing KF doesn't really give two squirts what the world thinks of him...but he does care about his team falling short of expectations. The good news is we are only heading into week 3.

As he should be. He made the wrong call in both the end of the game and on the 4th and 1 in OT. But I have no doubt he'll continue to play for close losses like always.

If Mr. Morehouse cut out his first half statement/question, that exchange would have been quite different

Ferentz seemed like a head coach with more on his mind than questions about a past player. He was short, a bit purposefully terse even, and probably ready to get back to all the work they need to do to recover from the loss and have an OK season.

Aside from the couple minutes about DJK, seemed about as it should.

Not only second guessing but admitting mistakes is one major difference with this presser vs. last season, specifically the BADger game. Per the his response today to the Morehouse question today on 4th and 1: Knowing what I know now, I'd have done it differently for sure, yeah

I know in a world of corporate politeness that was testy, but it's not like they were going to come to blows. I'm guessing Kirk doesn't lose a wink about the presser. Probably already up though about the loss to ISU.

Per the his response today to the Morehouse question today on 4th and 1: Knowing what I know now, I'd have done it differently for sure, yeah

I took this as saying: "Well, If I'd have known they'd score a TD, uh, yeah, I would have went for a TD"

heh

I took this as saying: "Well, If I'd have known they'd score a TD, uh, yeah, I would have went for a TD"

heh

This. Pretty easy to second guess when u know the outcome. If we hadnt gotten it on 4th and 1 and ISU kicks a field goal to win, we all would be freaking out the same

I would bet that when faced with a similar situation in the future, we will see the same decision. There wasn't anything in that video to make me feel otherwise.

this is not that new for him. He hates losing, and can turn pretty icy when things aren't going well. he is a pretty congenial guy, but any one of his players will tell you that he runs a very tight ship and works extremely hard. anyone who puts that much energy into winning, hates to lose and can be a hardass. any competitor will tell you the same.

From reading through the transcript, I felt that he was very agitated as well. There's no way he goes to an NFL team. Just imagine how bad those reporters would tear him apart. He couldn't handle it. I think to get to that next level, he needs to realize that real champions play to win, they don't play to not lose.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and wouldn't have anybody else, but like I've said for a long time now- he is conservative and loyal to a fault. He needs to grow some balls if we're ever going to get to that next level. And don't give me that "We're little ole Iowa" ********. That's not how a champion thinks. And isn't that the goal? To be the best?

As he should be. He made the wrong call in both the end of the game and on the 4th and 1 in OT. But I have no doubt he'll continue to play for close losses like always.
I know. You've mentioned it a hundred times, which is almost as much as I mentioned he made the right call.

:)

Latest posts