Jon/Spank? Thoughts on...

DunderMifflinHk

Steve Lavin? I'm not saying he should be the next coach I'm just wondering what you guys think about the possibility of him being the next coach. Would it be a good fit? Is it possible? Would it work? What do you guys think?

I am not speaking for Jon, but I think Jon has stated and many others wonder why he has been out of coaching for so long. A lot has changed during that time and I would be uneasy with that hire.

I am not speaking for Jon, but I think Jon has stated and many others wonder why he has been out of coaching for so long. A lot has changed during that time and I would be uneasy with that hire.

Like what, exactly?

He has worked for ESPN, calling games, he has seen all of the changes, none of which I would consider to be major.

Yeah I think we all kind of agreed with that when we were having Pearl and Drew pipedreams, compared to who we are hearing now, he looks alot better.

This would be a true statement if he wasn't calling the games all the time.
Listen to his commentary,he knows whats going on in game,unlike Lick.
I am curious about what Lavin's expertise is. It might be interesting to bring him in with Forbes and a 5yr plan for Forbes to take over if things were flying right.
The possibilities are endless and like many Iowa fans I am just excited for a change and even the possibility that our team will be better.

I don't think wondering why he has been out of coaching for a while is an argument. It's an interesting question but it isn't as if there is any reason to believe he has been out of coaching other than that he was in to broadcasting. If so, what is the harm? It isn't as though he's disqualified due to a gap in his resume because he was lazy, sitting on the couch for a few years.

I think someone that has been out of coaching that long, you question their drive and ability to take on a challenge like what awaits at Iowa. That is what I would think...because the guy has the ace in the hole $200k per year +++ gig with ESPN to always fall back on.

Because its not like he stunk..he went to numerous Sweet 16's and one Elite Eight.

If he can last 3+ years and get us out of this HOLE we are in... that is fine if he jumps after that. ... Pearl might be ready to move by then ;)

I think someone that has been out of coaching that long, you question their drive and ability to take on a challenge like what awaits at Iowa. That is what I would think...because the guy has the ace in the hole $200k per year +++ gig with ESPN to always fall back on.

Because its not like he stunk..he went to numerous Sweet 16's and one Elite Eight.

This would be a true statement if he wasn't calling the games all the time.
Listen to his commentary,he knows whats going on in game,unlike Lick.
I am curious about what Lavin's expertise is. It might be interesting to bring him in with Forbes and a 5yr plan for Forbes to take over if things were flying right.
The possibilities are endless and like many Iowa fans I am just excited for a change and even the possibility that our team will be better.
Lets get a few things straight:
1) An AD does not hire a coach, tell him who his assistants will be.
2) An AD does not hire a coach for 2M with the plan of him turning over the program in 5 years.

Do you realize how that sounds?

If he can last 3+ years and get us out of this HOLE we are in... that is fine if he jumps after that. ... Pearl might be ready to move by then ;)

Or bring in someone like Steve Forbes as Associate Head Coach/Head Coach in Waiting and he can do the recruiting and get the talent base down. Just a thought.

GO HAWKS!!!

Or bring in someone like Steve Forbes as Associate Head Coach/Head Coach in Waiting and he can do the recruiting and get the talent base down. Just a thought.

GO HAWKS!!!

Iowa already has recruiting disadvantages. Bringing in a head coach with an associate head coach in waiting is a bad idea.

Lets get a few things straight:
1) An AD does not hire a coach, tell him who his assistants will be.
2) An AD does not hire a coach for 2M with the plan of him turning over the program in 5 years.

Do you realize how that sounds?
You do realize YOUR not the AD right?
Do you realize what your statements sound like?

Steve Lavin? I'm not saying he should be the next coach I'm just wondering what you guys think about the possibility of him being the next coach. Would it be a good fit? Is it possible? Would it work? What do you guys think?

I'm not sure on the fit, but he still very much has the knowledge of the game well intact and knows college basketball through and through.

He'd have to grab a good recruiter, as being out of the arena for so long, he's going to be behind the eight-ball when it comes to that.

Is it possible? Sure.

I do think it could work. He'd be ahead of some of the other names being thrown out there.

One thing is clear: He really wants the job. Dickie V was campaigning for him aggressively in a DSM radio interview today, and said Steve is interested. I don't think Vitale would be drilling on this at every opportunity if Lavin isn't really interested.

Latest posts