Jon Rothstein (CBS) just talked to Fran... here are the tidbits

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
Jon Rothstein (JonRothstein) on Twitter

Here are the Tweets from Jon Rothstein:

Just hung up with Iowa coach Fran McCaffery, whose Hawkeyes should be a major factor in the Big Ten.....

McCaffery on Iowa "I feel really good about a lot of things. We've got so many options now. We can play either big or small."

McCaffery on Mike Gesell "He's special. He's mentally tough enough to be our point guard as a freshman."

McCaffery on Eric May "We'd really like to see him have a big time senior year."

McCaffery on Iowa's defense "We're not making any steps forward if we don't stop people. We didn't guard last year."

McCaffery on Devyn Marble "I've challenged him to defend. He's got to play at both ends of the floor if he wants to play at the next level."

McCaffery on Melsahn Basabe "He's got to be consistent. He has to put the time in that's needed to have a bounce back season."

McCaffery on Zach McCabe "He's our rock. Most of the time he's our most consistent guy. He's a throwback in a lot of ways."

McCaffery on Adam Woodbury "The thing that makes him relentless is he's tough as nails. He's relentless."

McCaffery on potential lineups "I'm constantly tweaking things in my head. It will get figured out eventually."

McCaffery on Gabe Olaseni "He's the person whose made the most strides. The question is, "Can he do it when the lights go on"?"

McCaffery on Josh Oglesby "He's a critical component. He's one of the best shooters I've ever been around."

McCaffery on Iowa's roster in their third year "We hoped it would be this deep. It's come together for us nicely."

He has a way of being super confident without sounding unrealistic or arrogant. It's a Philly-thing.

He has a way of being super confident without sounding unrealistic or arrogant. It's a Philly-thing.

If only there were a term to describe the language that coaches speak...

Coach speak is usually the opposite though, playing down your team while praising your opponent. Fran doesn't do that.

No, coach-speak is usually mindless jabber designed to make your players feel good about themselves and not offend anyone.

Francis does this is spades, but has a different style from Kurt.

Fran gets it. Build up a team while they are climbing,then when they are actually good, start backing it off. We are still climbing,but not good yet.

I know it sounded goofy,but I agree with him about Woody...he is not your typical small town skinny frosh center from what I have seen. He is physical,and competitive. Like that.

I will not relent. Relentless Woodbury is relentless.

That is a word that sounds strange if you say it overandoverandover.

Woodbury Woodbury Woodbury Woodberry Would bury Wood berry Dingleberry Cactus Potato.
You know what, you're right!

Could very well be Philly think. I like everything he said. He should be confident over the team and the expected results. It is now a new ball game. These guys want to win and know how to do so. We are officially on our way. Look Out Big Ten.....

:D

Last edited:

Latest posts