Jon - Regarding Brandon Wegher

Not4cy

How do you foresee the coaches using BW's talents? Obviously he will be back on Kickoff Return. Do you think that he will go to the slot and use him more as a WR?

I think at the begining of the year since hampton will be suspended they rotate like last year between Arob and BW. I think he will have some carries and become the 3rd down back. I dont think he will be on KR because that seems locked up by DJK and KD unless one of them makes a costly mistake. Its a good and bad problem to have, having 3 good/great running backs. It stinks because i perosnally think BW is the best of the 3 and has to share carries with the other 2, he is strong, fast, has good vision, has good hands, and can take a hit(see arizona game).

Wegher-bomb ought to be the starter at RB, hands down, until he makes a series of mistakes, gets injured (shudder) or either of the other two surpass him. Don't see a strong likelihood of any of those happening. But make the other two take the No. 1 spot from him in practice and on the field.

I think at the begining of the year since hampton will be suspended they rotate like last year between Arob and BW. I think he will have some carries and become the 3rd down back. I dont think he will be on KR because that seems locked up by DJK and KD unless one of them makes a costly mistake. Its a good and bad problem to have, having 3 good/great running backs. It stinks because i perosnally think BW is the best of the 3 and has to share carries with the other 2, he is strong, fast, has good vision, has good hands, and can take a hit(see arizona game).

Hampton is going to be suspended?

Wegher-bomb ought to be the starter at RB, hands down, until he makes a series of mistakes, gets injured (shudder) or either of the other two surpass him. Don't see a strong likelihood of any of those happening. But make the other two take the No. 1 spot from him in practice and on the field.
Completely agree with you, he improved each week as the season progressed then the bowl game was a coming out party. He deserves to be #1.

What about making him take the spot from them, rather than him being anointed #1? I'm relatively sure, the share will go according to what the coaches see. I couldn't care less who gets the lion's share.

How do you foresee the coaches using BW's talents? Obviously he will be back on Kickoff Return. Do you think that he will go to the slot and use him more as a WR?

I think you might have a better chance getting Jon's attention if you change your login name. Even though you aren't for Cy, why would you even have that in your name?:D

Yes, he got into trouble at Iowa City bars a month back...
EDIT: Its not official by Kirk, but I'm 99.99% sure he will be suspended a game or two same with Bernstein and Binns.

I have no idea how you can be 99.99% sure that Bernstein and Hampton will be suspended. Per Kirk's statement, the matter will be handled internally with Hampton and Bernstein. Per Kirk's statement on Binns, he will serve some sort of suspension.

So if you are reading between the lines, if anything, you would say you are 99.99% certain that Bernstein and Hampton will not be suspended. Especially Bernstein because he plead not guilty and Kirk will wait for the courts to render a verdict before he suspends Bernstein.

If Kirk was going to suspend those 2, please explain to me why he didn't come out and say that both will serve some sort of suspension like he did for Binns.

I have no idea how you can be 99.99% sure that Bernstein and Hampton will be suspended. Per Kirk's statement, the matter will be handled internally with Hampton and Bernstein. Per Kirk's statement on Binns, he will serve some sort of suspension.

So if you are reading between the lines, if anything, you would say you are 99.99% certain that Bernstein and Hampton will not be suspended. Especially Bernstein because he plead not guilty and Kirk will wait for the courts to render a verdict before he suspends Bernstein.

If Kirk was going to suspend those 2, please explain to me why he didn't come out and say that both will serve some sort of suspension like he did for Binns.
How can you think they wont be? Hampton was in a IC Bar after 10, he was starting fights and drinking underage. Bernstein interferred with officials. Binns actions were little more cut and dry as he was picked up for a DUI. Last year Calloway had a public intoxication, which is what Hampton and Bernstein both recieved, and he was suspended 1 game, note Calloway was of drinking age.

How can you think they wont be? Hampton was in a IC Bar after 10, he was starting fights and drinking underage. Bernstein interferred with officials. Binns actions were little more cut and dry as he was picked up for a DUI. Last year Calloway had a public intoxication, which is what Hampton and Bernstein both recieved, and he was suspended 1 game, note Calloway was of drinking age.

#1. You need to get your facts straight, young man! Calloway had an OWI, driving a moped through a baracaded area while legally drunk! HUGE DIFFERENCE FROM A PUBLIC INTOX. Also, Bernstein was charged with Public Intox, not interference with official acts. Another difference.

#2. Just because you believe that they should be suspended, does not make Kirk believe the same thing. You need to separate your opinions from what is actually fact. If Kirk believes that a suspension is warranted, then they will be suspended.

#3. Now if you want my personal opinion, then yes, I also believe that both should serve a 1 game suspension. But I am not Kirk Ferentz and I don't know all of the facts either. I do know that they represented their team in a negative way.

Last edited:
#1. You need to get your facts straight, young man! Calloway had an OWI, driving a moped through a baracaded area while legally drunk! HUGE DIFFERENCE FROM A PUBLIC INTOX.

#2. Just because you believe that they should be suspended, does not make Kirk believe the same thing. You need to separate your opinions from what is actually fact. If Kirk believes that a suspension is warranted, then they will be suspended.

#3. Now if you want my personal opinion, then yes, I also believe that both should serve a 1 game suspension. But I am not Kirk Ferentz and I don't know all of the facts either. I do know that they represented their team in a negative way.
I think Kirk will suspend them, because if he lets it go with just community service it isnt sending the right message to the younger guys or the rest of the players on the team. Your correct Calloway did have an OWI, previous season Reiff had a public intox and was suspended. Going by history i think Kirk will suspend them.

I believe that Wegher and Robinson will once again share the load in terms of carries.
I really like Wegher, but I think many of you are still enamored with the number of 'stars' he had as a recruit.
I encourage you to go back and look at how well Robinson played last year - much of the time hurt. He made some plays against PSU that were unbelievable and his guts and grit are worth admiring. Many of the arguments made for Wegher can be made for Robinson. However, I do realize that Wegher probably has better speed. That being said, I would rather have a guy that can pound out 5 - 8 yards a carry, than wait around for a sprinter to hit the corner just once in a game (this is not meant to be a reference to Wegher, as he is also a tough inside runner...not quite as shifty as Robinson though).
If they share the carries, they will be less beaten up and fresher for the fourth quarter.

I believe that Wegher and Robinson will once again share the load in terms of carries.
I really like Wegher, but I think many of you are still enamored with the number of 'stars' he had as a recruit.
I encourage you to go back and look at how well Robinson played last year - much of the time hurt. He made some plays against PSU that were unbelievable and his guts and grit are worth admiring. Many of the arguments made for Wegher can be made for Robinson. However, I do realize that Wegher probably has better speed. That being said, I would rather have a guy that can pound out 5 - 8 yards a carry, than wait around for a sprinter to hit the corner just once in a game (this is not meant to be a reference to Wegher, as he is also a tough inside runner...not quite as shifty as Robinson though).
If they share the carries, they will be less beaten up and fresher for the fourth quarter.
I like Wegher more and would like to see him be the number one, I wouldnt mind seeing the same rotation as last year and leave in the "hot" guy. They both compliment each other very well and will be a good tandem to have over the next 3 years. On top of that adding in Hampton.

i know you will correct me if i am wrong but didn't robinson have a full year in the program(redshirt) before last year? That can make a big difference in perceived talent on the field and might be why wegher looked like he was "catching up" later on in the year.

Latest posts