Jon, Nebraska to Big Ten Talk??

if it was just an Iowa decision, sure. It might happen. But Nebraska has nothing to bring to the Big Eleven. AAU is about it. Academic standards are shaky, football program is about as bad as their basketball program, low profile sports are just as shaky and not high revenue makers...I vote no.

Football program as bad as the basketball program? Not even close. Nebraska falls short in a lot of areas, but their football program is the one thing that will get them considered. In the end, it comes down to football. Football is the cash cow for these major universities, and Nebraska has a lot to offer in terms of football. However, if they are competing against Texas, Pitt and Notre Dame they will fall short.

if it was just an Iowa decision, sure. It might happen. But Nebraska has nothing to bring to the Big Eleven. AAU is about it. Academic standards are shaky, football program is about as bad as their basketball program, low profile sports are just as shaky and not high revenue makers...I vote no.

Nebraska is a nationally recognized name in football and would bring in a national TV audience.

Their football program is far from bad. If Colt McCoy's pass in the B12 title game hangs in the air a second longer, they probably go to the BCS, and Iowa doesn't.

Nebraska is a nationally recognized name in football and would bring in a national TV audience.

Their football program is far from bad. If Colt McCoy's pass in the B12 title game hangs in the air a second longer, they probably go to the BCS, and Iowa doesn't.

Nebraska wouldn't bring in near the TV audience as these other schools.
The state just isn't highly populated to compete with these other schools and Norte Dame's tradition.

Nebraska has now gone almost 2 decades outside of the NC talk. That's an entire generation of children who have grown up with no knowledge of any tradition of Nebraska football. Even those who remember around the U.S. probably don't care that much and if you go to most major markets, those people couldn't even identify Nebraska on a map. Its the same for Iowa where I've been asked in both New York and Baltimore if Iowa is where they grow Idaho potatoes. Huh??

Take note of history and look at a once powerful program in Minnesota that has a few NCs, was a nationally recognized program and realize that any cold-weather, midwestern powerhouse has a tenuous grasp on prominence, especially those in smaller population states. Nebraska is headed down that same path. Osborne leaving started it and Callahan stepped on the throttle. Just wait until you hear Big10 officials trying to justify adding Nebraska after 10 years of diminishing ratings by selling the same history and tradition that you get tired of current Nebraska fans talking about.

Nebraska wouldn't bring in near the TV audience as these other schools.
The state just isn't highly populated to compete with these other schools and Norte Dame's tradition.

I don't think ND is willing to make the move. I agree, NU won't bring the same number of TVs as Texas. However, I think they would bring more than Mizzou or Pitt (PSU already runs that state). I am not sold on Rutgers bringing in the NY market either. Do they really care about CFB?

And unfortunately they are two wins against Texas away from playing for the NC this year. Lets face it - the Big 12 North stinks and there are almost no roadblocks between NE and an undefeated season this coming year other than Texas.

Good point about the 2001 Rose Bowl, but high school seniors graduating this year would have been in 2nd grade or so? I don't remember who played for a NC when I was in 2nd grade. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but Minny probably didn't think it would ever come to an end. I wasn't alive during Evy's tenure at Iowa, but fans back then probably thought we were a powerhouse and that it wouldn't ever end. If I was a big10 official, I would look at them now and look at history around the midwest and I wouldn't be in a big hurry to take a chance that Nebraska will buck the trend. In now way do I want Missouri in the Big10, but there's more to offer being stuck between KC and St. Louis than Nebraska.

Good point about the 2001 Rose Bowl, but high school seniors graduating this year would have been in 2nd grade or so? I don't remember who played for a NC when I was in 2nd grade. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but Minny probably didn't think it would ever come to an end. I wasn't alive during Evy's tenure at Iowa, but fans back then probably thought we were a powerhouse and that it wouldn't ever end. If I was a big10 official, I would look at them now and look at history around the midwest and I wouldn't be in a big hurry to take a chance that Nebraska will buck the trend. In now way do I want Missouri in the Big10, but there's more to offer being stuck between KC and St. Louis than Nebraska.

So, Miami isn't relevant any more either??

I didn't comment on Miami. They would have to be a tremendous long shot to join the Big 10 and they're far from a midwestern team.

High school seniors were in preschool then. An entire high school cycle has happened since then. In 1973, someone in Minnesota probably said they just got a share of the NC in 1960. What could go wrong? Looks at our 30 year history. We'll be back in no time.

High school seniors were in preschool then. An entire high school cycle has happened since then. In 1973, someone in Minnesota probably said they just got a share of the NC in 1960. What could go wrong? Looks at our 30 year history. We'll be back in no time.

Why do you keep bringing Minnesota up? Notre Dame hasn't won a title in 22 years, they're still relevent today. USC went like 30 years without a title and they came back just as strong as ever. Wheather you want to admit it or not, Nebraska is has one of the richiest histories of any football program, and odds are they will be good again, like next season.

Their football program revenue stream would make up for the mediocre basketball prgram.

Non revenue sports like women's volleyball, baseball aand wrestling are pretty good.

Nebraska doesn't qualify academically.
I know a number of people that couldn't get into univ of iowa that ended up going to nebraska. They were avg students at best in highschool here in iowa yet graduated from neb with close to a 4 point. Never did understand that.

Latest posts