Jon Miller's point about Sound Off call

It's not showing up for the PSU and Nebby games, the failure to beat ISU and Minny that have less talent, etc. that have fans upset. Before the season I thought we would finish 8-4, its how and who we lost to that I have a problem with.

Agree 100 percent. It's how we played against certain opponents that is frustrating ...

Fans that honestly think teams don't show up to play crack me up. These kids work their ***** off all year to play in 12-13 games. You don't work that hard and not show up.

And not showing up against Nebraska? Please. That's all that has been talked about since that game got scheduled. There is zero shot that Iowa didn't show up to play at ISU, PSU, or Nebraska. Sometimes other teams just play better or hit you in the mouth early and you don't respond

You are completely wrong about Nebraska. Its not at all hard to tell when a team isn't fired up.

Maybe they immediately realized the bad Vandenburg had showed up and lost hope I don't know, but that was as flat as I have ever seen a team on offense. Worse than this years loss at Minnesota, even worse than last years loss to Minnesota which was the previous low.

Instead of being motivated and fired up, Iowa is scared and uptight, just like Ferentz. Kirk doesn't instill confidence and fun in his teams he instills fear of mistakes and treating the game like a job.

Shontrelle Johnson when healthy is every bit as good as Coker. Two totally different backs. You don't compare Barry Sanders to Jerome Bettis. Both are effective in their own way. But Iowa gets the nod there because Coker played all year.I gave Iowa an advantage at QB so I don't know why people are arguing with me. But, Vandenburg head and shoulders better than any QB ISU has? Really people? Vandenburg wasn't better than Steele Jantz when Jantz was healthy. I'd certainly take Vandenburg over Barnett but Barnett does run so he gets some points there

OK my last post in this debate that had nothing to do with the OP's thread.

Johnson averaged what 60 yards a game before he got hurt? That's a lot less than Coker and sure he got hurt but that's football.

Vandy had what 26 Td's vs 6 int's? (I'm on my phone so going by memory) Jantz had what 10 tds and 9 int's sorry that head and shoulders better.

You also have to consider the league and the style of play. The spread offenses naturally produce higher scoring games so you can't just take the national ranking.

Secondly, look at the list of Big 12 QB's. Griffin III(Baylor), Landry(OU), Weeden(OSU), Klein(KSU) , Tannehill(A&M), Daghe(Texas Tech), Franklin(Missouri). They are a lot better as a group than the Big 10's QB's.

That is funny, hoffahawk.

You say you thought we were an 8-4 team going into the season. You conceded we were close to your expectations. But then you pretty much say even though we were pretty much at your expectations, the WAY we lost is what has you frustrated. Some poeple would say the Minnesota and ISU losses were unacceptable and even if we met their expectations but had those two losses they would be livid. They would always want more.

I hear you. But people need to look at the season's results and not HOW we got those results. If we did what you thought we would, for the most part, then okay. If not, then that is another story. But when the team performs the way you think they will in terms of their record but you are mad about it anyway, well, that basically means you may never be satisfied. That's fine. I'm just saying.

Another poster on this thread mentioned it was the PSU and Nebraska games and the Minnesota and ISU games. In other words, he was mad about pretty much every loss. Okay. Fine. But if you are going to be mad about every loss, then you're always going to be mad. I understand frutration with losing games you think we should win. But when we win games that we aren't favored in people act like that is a given and don't give credit to the coaches, team or whoever.

Many times fans make arguments in such a way that they can't lose the argument and therefore they will always be right in the end. That's not really a fair argument to make. But that doesn't stop them from making the flawed argument.

I played at the college level. I'm guessing you didn't.

Iowa was up 10-0 in that game. But you think they didn't show up. Gotcha.

I think the players showed up at ISU but I don't think the coaches did! Frustrating to watch Coker run up the middle into an 8 man defensive front all day long.

I think the coaching staff goes ultra conservative on the road. Play calling was very similar in the ISU, MInnesota and PSU games. It would have been the same against Nebraska but Iowa got behind and had to throw more.

OK my last post in this debate that had nothing to do with the OP's thread.

Johnson averaged what 60 yards a game before he got hurt? That's a lot less than Coker and sure he got hurt but that's football.

Vandy had what 26 Td's vs 6 int's? (I'm on my phone so going by memory) Jantz had what 10 tds and 9 int's sorry that head and shoulders better.

Iowa State runs 3 RB's a game and their QB a lot on zone reads. It's a completely different offense than Iowa's. Sure Johnson was only averaging 65 a game but he also got the ball 2 times less than Coker a game. Coker is the only guy on Iowa's team to carry the ball. That doesn't mean he is any better or worse. YPG, both are the same. Two completely different RB's in completely different styles but I think talent wise they are the same

Fans that honestly think teams don't show up to play crack me up. These kids work their ***** off all year to play in 12-13 games. You don't work that hard and not show up.

And not showing up against Nebraska? Please. That's all that has been talked about since that game got scheduled. There is zero shot that Iowa didn't show up to play at ISU, PSU, or Nebraska. Sometimes other teams just play better or hit you in the mouth early and you don't respond

The fact is KF's strategy is to be as vanilla as possible and hope the other team implodes. Note, I did not say have a bad game, I said implode. We made Jantz out to be a Heisman contender and out of the two, who would have picked Vandenberg over Martinez based on head-to-head performance? Pelini had an inferior QB and passing game, but still clowned us because he tried to win the game. We kept running Coker into the teeth of Nebraska's defense--really creative.

If fans are disappointed with this season, wait until next year. No McNutt and major defensive losses. Oh we will hear how the offense is going to step up (again) only to see the same old same old.

You know this "unacceptable" thinking baffles me.
Who the **** are you or any of us to say it is unacceptable?
On a personal level you can choose not to accept it(but it really did happen)none of us are playing or coaching the games so the statement is meaningless.

The consumer that is "who the ****" are we! If the consumer stops buying KF doesn't get paid. If you don't buy tickets or Iowa gear. If I took a **** on a plate and served it too you and said it is the best salad ever what are you going to do? Say yes your right, or this is not acceptable food?

The fact is KF's strategy is to be as vanilla as possible and hope the other team implodes. Note, I did not say have a bad game, I said implode. We made Jantz out to be a Heisman contender and out of the two, who would have picked Vandenberg over Martinez based on head-to-head performance? Pelini had an inferior QB and passing game, but still clowned us because he tried to win the game. We kept running Coker into the teeth of Nebraska's defense--really creative.

If fans are disappointed with this season, wait until next year. No McNutt and major defensive losses. Oh we will hear how the offense is going to step up (again) only to see the same old same old.

THIS!

You know this "unacceptable" thinking baffles me.
Who the **** are you or any of us to say it is unacceptable?
On a personal level you can choose not to accept it(but it really did happen)none of us are playing or coaching the games so the statement is meaningless.
It is unacceptable to me, personally. If Iowa continues on this path, more fans will become apathetic, like I am becoming and the football program will become what the basketball team has become.

Re: That is funny, hoffahawk.

Another poster on this thread mentioned it was the PSU and Nebraska games and the Minnesota and ISU games. In other words, he was mad about pretty much every loss. Okay. Fine. But if you are going to be mad about every loss, then you're always going to be mad. I understand frutration with losing games you think we should win. But when we win games that we aren't favored in people act like that is a given and don't give credit to the coaches, team or whoever.

Many times fans make arguments in such a way that they can't lose the argument and therefore they will always be right in the end. That's not really a fair argument to make. But that doesn't stop them from making the flawed argument.

Yes, we will always be mad about losing, but it's easier to take when the team shows up, seems to be playing hard and comes up short. I personally felt we had more talent than ISU, I guess that could be debated (which is actually a little depressing,) and I KNOW we had more talent the Minnesota, so that is unacceptable. The Penn State and Nebraska games it felt like we never had a chance unless something sparked the team. We didn't get the turnover we needed or the big pass play down field, or the punt block.....it seemed like NOTHING happened and it was frustrating to watch. I've gotten mad at close losses too like the Wisconsin game last year or OSU the year before where coaches seemed to make questionable calls late in the game, or we didn't execute late in the game. But I will say at least they fought to the bitter end, this year's team lacked that fire and leadership, that's what frustrated me about this year's team.

winning 7 games here wasn't even acceptable for hayden Fry why would it be acceptable for Ferentz?

7 wins is a down year

You say you thought we were an 8-4 team going into the season. You conceded we were close to your expectations. But then you pretty much say even though we were pretty much at your expectations, the WAY we lost is what has you frustrated. Some poeple would say the Minnesota and ISU losses were unacceptable and even if we met their expectations but had those two losses they would be livid. They would always want more.

I hear you. But people need to look at the season's results and not HOW we got those results. If we did what you thought we would, for the most part, then okay. If not, then that is another story. But when the team performs the way you think they will in terms of their record but you are mad about it anyway, well, that basically means you may never be satisfied. That's fine. I'm just saying.

I am looking at the season's results if I thought that PSU or Nebby was hands down better than us I would be fine with losing to them sorry that wasn't the case, which I thought it would be before the year started. I also thought the B1G as a whole was down much more than I thought it would be, which should have given Iowa a better chance to win games that I had as losses before the season.

There is no excuse to lose the Minny game, none. In fact I think that is the sour note to the entire season. I wouldn't have been happy to lose the other games we did on our schedule but it would have been much easier to swallow being 5-3 in the Big Ten and 8-4 overall, knowing it was a "down" year but to lose to the second worst team in the conference watching our RB roll up over 250 yards it just doesn't compute.

You also don't see mention of MSU in my post, they were the better team and we made far too many mistakes to have a shot of winning that game.

That's the problem I have with the Nebby and PSU games we didn't make the huge mistakes that caused us to be in deep trouble like we were vs. MSU, the O which was suppose to be the strength of the team didn't show up for either of those games and the D which we all knew was going to take a step back actually did enough in those games that we should have been in position to win or at least compete.

I am looking at the season's results if I thought that PSU or Nebby was hands down better than us I would be fine with losing to them sorry that wasn't the case, which I thought it would be before the year started. I also thought the B1G as a whole was down much more than I thought it would be, which should have given Iowa a better chance to win games that I had as losses before the season.

There is no excuse to lose the Minny game, none. In fact I think that is the sour note to the entire season. I wouldn't have been happy to lose the other games we did on our schedule but it would have been much easier to swallow being 5-3 in the Big Ten and 8-4 overall, knowing it was a "down" year but to lose to the second worst team in the conference watching our RB roll up over 250 yards it just doesn't compute.

You also don't see mention of MSU in my post, they were the better team and we made far too many mistakes to have a shot of winning that game.

That's the problem I have with the Nebby and PSU games we didn't make the huge mistakes that caused us to be in deep trouble like we were vs. MSU, the O which was suppose to be the strength of the team didn't show up for either of those games and the D which we all knew was going to take a step back actually did enough in those games that we should have been in position to win or at least compete.

I could not agree with you more....on all of this

Two Omaha writers have already said that Iowa looked uninspired.

My impression was that our guys got truly fired up way too late. If you go back and watch the Nebraska game, watch a defensive series early on, and then watch a defensive series with about 5 min to go in the game.

Our guys STARTED really slapping each other's backs and high-fiving down 20-0 after 55 minutes of not doing so. I felt there was clearly SOME enthusiasm in there that they weren't tapping for the whole game. Not an indictment on any of them, but I wouldn't mind if they looked like someone had reminded them before the game that they only get to do this twelve times a year for four years of their lives.

did the team come out not fired up or did Vandy and the WR's just not perform? The offensive line graded very well and I think the defense performed well but got tired with no sustained drives by the offense.

did the team come out not fired up or did Vandy and the WR's just not perform? The offensive line graded very well and I think the defense performed well but got tired with no sustained drives by the offense.

I'm sure it's both to some degree. I'm just saying they (painfully obvious to me) started high-fiving and back-slapping with about 5 min. to go in the game. Not suggesting any difference it might have made, but from the start of the second quarter until the 5 min mark of the fourth, Nebraska was getting about 6-7 yards on the majority of their first-down plays, and our guys, when we did stop them for a play or two, looked like zombies. True, that doesn't put points on the board, but everything feeds off of everything else in football.

IOWA football is mediocre and declining. Changes need to happen and fast.

But they won't. Not from Cautious Stubborn Kirk and Gutless Gary.

Latest posts