Jon Miller's point about Sound Off call

I ask a question and you come back with an assumption. Very nice, but you are wrong.

You know what they say when you assume...

They were up 10-0 because Iowa is the better football team. They proved all year long that they can score points even when they look lifeless out there. The fact that they kept playing with no emotion and no heart is why ISU was able to come back and win it. They had all of the momentum. Anything else? Or are you done being a jack***?

Actually you're kind of looking like the jack*** at this point in the thread. Reverse trolling.

CGHawk, there is no chance at all that Iowa came out flat for the ISU, PSU, or Nebraska game. If you think that, than I assume it's your way of feeling better about your team I guess. I don't know, it just seems odd.

FYI the Iowa Hawkeyes have around 43 players from Iowa on their roster. Does anyone really think they don't get up to play ISU or Nebraska?

Actually you're kind of looking like the jack*** at this point in the thread. Reverse trolling.

I asked him a serious question. Every team and player has "off days" and that is all I stated. In my opinion it was clear that Iowa did not show up and play with heart against ISU this year. They let them in the game and gave them momentum. That isn't meant to be a knock on ISU... because playing with heart/intensity is a big part of winning and ISU played with more heart/intensity than the Hawkeyes that game, which I believe lost the game and I believe that has a lot to do with poor preparation.

I'm stating that it looked to me like Iowa played with less intensity this year than they have in past years. The Minnesota game this year is a good example. I'm sorry if I'm being misunderstood. I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I disagree.

ISU is not better than Iowa. Even if they are... we wouldn't know because there is NO WAY I will believe that Iowa showed up to play that day and that is the problem. Iowa did not show up to play and looked like they were sleepwalking most of the game in a lot of games... wins and losses this season. They looked unprepared the majority of the games.
ISU was better at that point of the season, and they are better now. Sad but true.

I'm not trolling when I ask where? Where is there more talent? Both Dlines appear to be a push with ISU probably being better up the middle and Iowa being better at Dend. ISU has better linebackers. ISU has Leonard Johnson, Benton, and Washington. Iowa is solid too with Prater, Hyde, and Bernstine.

OLine appears a push. QB appears a push w/ slight nod to Vandenburg for playing all year. Iowa has more WR talent. TE is Iowa although neither team has a great one right now. RB Iowa has Coker. ISU was just as good at RB with Johnson before his injury but White and Woody have been solid. Remember Johnson averaged 6 yards a carry against Iowa vs 4 for Coker vs ISU

Talent looks pretty similiar to me with ISU having the better defense and Iowa having a more balanced offense.

And I'm not saying that ISU sucks either. Do you want to go by recruiting rankings? Or do we wait 4 years to see how many starters from both teams make NFL rosters?

Look I admit it's very subjective and I don't have a lot of problems with your breakdown of both teams starters with a couple of issues (Coker vs. ISU RB's, and Vandy is head and shoulders better than ISU's two QBs)

Again I think if most people would look at the two rosters they would say that Iowa has more talent, again very subjective but would also say that any slight advantage ISU might have on the D, Iowa has a far bigger advantage on O.

And I'm not saying that ISU sucks either. Do you want to go by recruiting rankings? Or do we wait 4 years to see how many starters from both teams make NFL rosters?

Look I admit it's very subjective and I don't have a lot of problems with your breakdown of both teams starters with a couple of issues (Coker vs. ISU RB's, and Vandy is head and shoulders better than ISU's two QBs)

Again I think if most people would look at the two rosters they would say that Iowa has more talent, again very subjective but would also say that any slight advantage ISU might have on the D, Iowa has a far bigger advantage on O.

Yeah I think we will have to wait 4 years to truly see. Who knows. Here is my guess......

I think ISU has 3-4 future NFL guys currently on defense. Don't know how many will start besides Knott and Johnson in the NFL.

Who does Iowa have? Prater? Maybe Morris. Will Hyde play?

Shontrelle Johnson when healthy is every bit as good as Coker. Two totally different backs. You don't compare Barry Sanders to Jerome Bettis. Both are effective in their own way. But Iowa gets the nod there because Coker played all year.

I gave Iowa an advantage at QB so I don't know why people are arguing with me. But, Vandenburg head and shoulders better than any QB ISU has? Really people? Vandenburg wasn't better than Steele Jantz when Jantz was healthy. I'd certainly take Vandenburg over Barnett but Barnett does run so he gets some points there

I'm not trolling when I ask where? Where is there more talent? Both Dlines appear to be a push with ISU probably being better up the middle and Iowa being better at Dend. ISU has better linebackers. ISU has Leonard Johnson, Benton, and Washington. Iowa is solid too with Prater, Hyde, and Bernstine.

OLine appears a push. QB appears a push w/ slight nod to Vandenburg for playing all year. Iowa has more WR talent. TE is Iowa although neither team has a great one right now. RB Iowa has Coker. ISU was just as good at RB with Johnson before his injury but White and Woody have been solid. Remember Johnson averaged 6 yards a carry against Iowa vs 4 for Coker vs ISU

Talent looks pretty similiar to me with ISU having the better defense and Iowa having a more balanced offense.

You are a troll and always have been....

Iowa has a better RB by alot, a better Qb by alot...better oline, FB Iowa is better with Rogers...TE both are a big ? mark for both teams....WR Iowa by a ton.....dline push, ISU has better LB and prob a push in the secondary..

You are a troll and always have been....

Iowa has a better RB by alot, a better Qb by alot...better oline, FB Iowa is better with Rogers...TE both are a big ? mark for both teams....WR Iowa by a ton.....dline push, ISU has better LB and prob a push in the secondary..

I'm not a troll and never have been. I don't rip on Iowa ever on this board.

Iowa is better at RB and I gave them the nod. But if Shontrelle was healthy it would be a different story.

QB by a lot? Vandenburg is all over the map. He has the benefit of throwing to who I think is the best WR in the Big 10 and another great one in Davis. ISU doesn't have that luxury.

ISU doesn't have a FB

I disagree on the Oline. How does Iowa have a better Oline?

Iowa obviously has better WR

Vandy wasn't close to the player that Jantz was against Iowa that day. Yes, he has a higher ceiling since Jantz will never see the field agian probably. Vandy is a much better throwing QB than Barnett, but Barnett makes plays with his legs also. The OL's are actually similar this year which is surprising for ISU outside of Osemele. Iowa has the best WR in McNutt but ISU has more WR's.

ISU has a big advantage on the defensive side of the ball, its not even close.

Fans that honestly think teams don't show up to play crack me up. These kids work their ***** off all year to play in 12-13 games. You don't work that hard and not show up.

And not showing up against Nebraska? Please. That's all that has been talked about since that game got scheduled. There is zero shot that Iowa didn't show up to play at ISU, PSU, or Nebraska. Sometimes other teams just play better or hit you in the mouth early and you don't respond
Two Omaha writers have already said that Iowa looked uninspired.

Vandy wasn't close to the player that Jantz was against Iowa that day. Yes, he has a higher ceiling since Jantz will never see the field agian probably. Vandy is a much better throwing QB than Barnett, but Barnett makes plays with his legs also. The OL's are actually similar this year which is surprising for ISU outside of Osemele. Iowa has the best WR in McNutt but ISU has more WR's.

I don't agree with this at all.

I'm still holding out hope that Jantz is ISU's QB again. I think he's better than Barnett and with a healthy foot I think Jantz is special. We shall see. He needs his confidence back

They're experts on psychology and have been in the Iowa locker room? Why does their meat head opinion matter?
Well, it is rather telling when two writers who mainly cover the Huskers did not give all the credit to Nebraska, and can admit that Iowa looked very uninspired that day.

bcl20 what do you not agree about ISU'd defense being a lot better? especially look at the last month. The Texas Tech game- the coaches only counted 3 missed tackles all game thats phenomenal, Kansas 10 pts, OSU-the defense limited OSU to 17 pts in regulation, the defense only gave up 26 pts to OU and the offense continually put them in a hole all day.

I think the Iowa defense has done fairly well for what they have except the MSU game, but they are not as good as ISU's at this point.

bcl20 what do you not agree about ISU'd defense being a lot better? especially look at the last month. The Texas Tech game- the coaches only counted 3 missed tackles all game thats phenomenal, Kansas 10 pts, OSU-the defense limited OSU to 17 pts in regulation, the defense only gave up 26 pts to OU and the offense continually put them in a hole all day.

I think the Iowa defense has done fairly well for what they have except the MSU game, but they are not as good as ISU's at this point.

Mostly because they are around 80th in points allowed and we're in the 40's and while I understand the opponents have differed (they've played better teams) that's too big of a gap for me to agree that they are a much better defense.

They have been really good the second half of the year though.

hoffa, you are right on the money. These past 2 seasons have been unacceptable. Nothing will change unless people leave voluntarily. Barta won't do anything. Ferentz is too loyal to ask his coordinators to step aside. That is being very selfish. He needs to get coordinators in there that are potential head coaches.
You know this "unacceptable" thinking baffles me.
Who the **** are you or any of us to say it is unacceptable?
On a personal level you can choose not to accept it(but it really did happen)none of us are playing or coaching the games so the statement is meaningless.

Latest posts