Jon Miller's point about Sound Off call

Lol @the people who are saying that we have a better team than ISU. They just beat Oklahoma State after beating us earlier this year (remember that?) and held Oklahoma to just 26 points. Their biggest win over OSU is bigger than our biggest win (Michigan).

What I can't figure out is why people were expecting (vs. hope) a better season when we returned less starters than any other B1G team... it's very well documented that returning starters dictate a season more than any other factor. Maybe they should consider that more before they put money on Iowa (the only reason why I can figure out why people get so upset when Iowa loses). That's why they track it and the national pundits were more accurate then those of us who bleed black-n-gold... Besides, Jon is right... when 7 wins is considered a bad season, then it's something I don't mind.

Iowa isn't the only team to schedule cupcake teams for the non-conf. part...

I need more proof of a team, player not showing up than couch psychology.

Fact is, I believe a player or team "not showing up" is going to be more them not showing up in the film room, practice, etc. then on game day. If you don't show up on game day you could easily get hurt badly and games are fun and that's the one time in the week when every one would want o show up.

I also don't see how we are better than ISU. It's hard to find evidence that supports that.

I said more talent, nothing about being the better team.

I'm not trolling when I ask where? Where is there more talent? Both Dlines appear to be a push with ISU probably being better up the middle and Iowa being better at Dend. ISU has better linebackers. ISU has Leonard Johnson, Benton, and Washington. Iowa is solid too with Prater, Hyde, and Bernstine.

OLine appears a push. QB appears a push w/ slight nod to Vandenburg for playing all year. Iowa has more WR talent. TE is Iowa although neither team has a great one right now. RB Iowa has Coker. ISU was just as good at RB with Johnson before his injury but White and Woody have been solid. Remember Johnson averaged 6 yards a carry against Iowa vs 4 for Coker vs ISU

Talent looks pretty similiar to me with ISU having the better defense and Iowa having a more balanced offense.

Next year we will have the same exact staff who calls the same exact plays who plays the same exact defense who plays not lose, will take no risks, and plays ultra conservative.

Why would anyone think next season will be any better than this year. They will lose all or almost all games on the road and they will definitely lose to either Iowa State, Minnesota, Indiana, or Purdue who will be worst teams in the B1G and one of the worst in the Big 12.

Of course at this point Iowa is not much better than any of the above four teams. Iowa will have the same B1G schedule so they won't even have to play two of the better teams in the conference. They will have their two cupcakes in which this staff will experiment with a new offense, which will work very nicely and then we won't see it the rest of the year (UNLESS we are in a game where we are getting our heads handed to us -- THEN they will try it but only as a last result...after all it is much much too risky).

But if Iowa wins 6 games, many on here will tell us all about what a successful season we had and they are completely satisfied.

I'm not trolling when I ask where? Where is there more talent? Both Dlines appear to be a push with ISU probably being better up the middle and Iowa being better at Dend. ISU has better linebackers. ISU has Leonard Johnson, Benton, and Washington. Iowa is solid too with Prater, Hyde, and Bernstine.

OLine appears a push. QB appears a push w/ slight nod to Vandenburg for playing all year. Iowa has more WR talent. TE is Iowa although neither team has a great one right now. RB Iowa has Coker. ISU was just as good at RB with Johnson before his injury but White and Woody have been solid. Remember Johnson averaged 6 yards a carry against Iowa vs 4 for Coker vs ISU

Talent looks pretty similiar to me with ISU having the better defense and Iowa having a more balanced offense.

Not bagging on ISU here but now way ISU has as good of OL as Iowa, Qb I agree slight Vandy, Iowa more WR. TE push, maybe Iowa later in year, Coker was ranked what in the nation? ISU's Johnson was what? You already said Iowas D was easy to run on when they played ISU, what other run stopper has ISU played? Thats how you get a ranked RB.
Iowa had far more talent on O then ISU did this year.

Not bagging on ISU here but now way ISU has as good of OL as Iowa, Qb I agree slight Vandy, Iowa more WR. TE push, maybe Iowa later in year, Coker was ranked what in the nation? ISU's Johnson was what? You already said Iowas D was easy to run on when they played ISU, what other run stopper has ISU played? Thats how you get a ranked RB.
Iowa had far more talent on O then ISU did this year.

Iowa and ISU have very similar Olines. Their ypc are similiar with ISU slightly better. ISU has given up less sacks. Part of that could be due to a mobile QB.

Shontrelle Johsnon played in 3 games this year before he hurt his neck in what could be a career ending injury. Before that he was every bit as good as Coker. Two totally different runners though.

Like I said Iowa had a better offense due to WR, and TE. It made it more balanced. But ISU has a better, more talented defense this year

Fans that honestly think teams don't show up to play crack me up. These kids work their ***** off all year to play in 12-13 games. You don't work that hard and not show up.

And not showing up against Nebraska? Please. That's all that has been talked about since that game got scheduled. There is zero shot that Iowa didn't show up to play at ISU, PSU, or Nebraska. Sometimes other teams just play better or hit you in the mouth early and you don't respond

Have you ever played a sport? If so, you should know that sometimes your team just doesn't show up to play, regardless of how hard you work all season/off-season.

It is usually due to poor or complete lack of preparation.

Your coaches have A LOT to do with this. If your coach seems disinterested/complacent/lifeless all of the time... It rubs off on the players. I like Ferentz, but he has next to zero ability to fire his team up. I'm 100% confident that in past years when Iowa was fired up for games... it was due to senior leaders getting them fired up and not the coaches. We may have lacked that leadership this year, because they looked like emotionless zombies the majority of the time.

They rarely looked pumped up for a game or during the game aside from a few players (Prater was one of them and he got ripped on for it :rolleyes:).

And they NEVER looked like they were having fun out there.

Keep telling yourself that Iowa showed up to play against ISU if you want, but it was clear that they didn't. I'm not making an excuse either. ISU won and outplayed us... but there is no way you can tell me Iowa was fired up like you guys were. That is how upsets happen. That is on the coaches.

They also lost games by 23, 23, 35, 16, and 20, and could get crushed by KSU, as well.

You lose by 13 at Nebraska or you lose by 20 at Oklahoma. Is there a difference? Only 1 humiliating loss and that was Missouri. That was our Minnesota game of the year.

The rest of the games we played with all the teams, which is not typical for ISU teams. We just have to many turnovers.

A personal anecdote is meaningless, unless you happened to have played high level sports.

Vandenberg is more than slightly better than ISU's QB's.

Well he wasn't as good as Steele Jantz when they played.

Vandenburg is the better passer but ISU's QB's bring the ability to make plays with their feet which accounts for something. With that said, I still give the nod to Vandenburg. Remember Vandenburg has 2 NFL caliber WR's to throw to. ISU has none.

Have you ever played a sport? If so, you should know that sometimes your team just doesn't show up to play, regardless of how hard you work all season/off-season.

It is usually due to poor or complete lack of preparation.

Your coaches have A LOT to do with this. If your coach seems disinterested/complacent/lifeless all of the time... It rubs off on the players. I like Ferentz, but he has next to zero ability to fire his team up. I'm 100% confident that in past years when Iowa was fired up for games... it was due to senior leaders getting them fired up and not the coaches. We may have lacked that leadership this year, because they looked like emotionless zombies the majority of the time.

They rarely looked pumped up for a game or during the game aside from a few players (Prater was one of them and he got ripped on for it :rolleyes:).

And they NEVER looked like they were having fun out there.

Keep telling yourself that Iowa showed up to play against ISU if you want, but it was clear that they didn't. I'm not making an excuse either. ISU won and outplayed us... but there is no way you can tell me Iowa was fired up like you guys were. That is how upsets happen. That is on the coaches.

I played at the college level. I'm guessing you didn't.

Iowa was up 10-0 in that game. But you think they didn't show up. Gotcha.

Well he wasn't as good as Steele Jantz when they played.

They didn't play each other, the played the respective teams defense.

Vandenburg is the better passer but ISU's QB's bring the ability to make plays with their feet which accounts for something. With that said, I still give the nod to Vandenburg. Remember Vandenburg has 2 NFL caliber WR's to throw to. ISU has none.

I'll give you Barnett. His feet do make a difference. Jantz average 2.3 ypc so I don't buy that argument with him. And I give you Iowa's receivers made Vandenburg stats better too.

I change my mind Vandenburg is slightly better than Barnett.

Last edited:
I played at the college level. I'm guessing you didn't.

Iowa was up 10-0 in that game. But you think they didn't show up. Gotcha.

I ask a question and you come back with an assumption. Very nice, but you are wrong.

You know what they say when you assume...

They were up 10-0 because Iowa is the better football team. They proved throughout the year that they can score points even when they look lifeless out there. The fact that they kept playing with no emotion and no heart is why ISU was able to come back and win it. They had all of the momentum. Anything else? Or are you done being a jack***?

Last edited:
I was at work and only heard half of the call so I hope I got the context right. It was about the fact that we at least had 7 wins in what was a down year and a caller pointed out Iowa should every year be able to schedule 7 wins in a 12 game season and Jon was depressed.

Yes, the league was down this year and I'm not going to try and make this out to be a great or even good Iowa season but Iowadid schedule two BCS teams in the non-conference. Also, even though Iowa only had 7 wins they still finished a tie for 6th in the conference(but beat the 6th place team head to head on the road). For a low point, it could be a lot worse than finishing 6th in the league.

I'm not trying to make it out to be a great year and Iowa might even have one more mediocre year before they can leap forward again. But I do think if they can keep players on campus they will take the leap forward again.
Iowa has had a favorable schedule 2 years in a row. Remember our excitement a few years ago when we missed BOTH MICHIGAN AND OHIO STATE and woefully underperformed? Do you see a pattern emerging? Since 2004 we've had several seasons with enviable schedules and completely wasted those opportunities.

Latest posts