John Lickliter (and family) to D3 Marian University

You can be upset with the out come of the season or Lickliter's time at Iowa, but to say that he is a bad player is just ignorant.

He is a smart, gutsy, good player who never backed down once despite being outmatched.

Is he Evan Turner? No, but then again no one else on the team is either.

Is he Evan Turner? No. Is he Cully Payne? No. Is he any good? No. Are there better players at the rec? Yes

Both he and coach stated multiple times that he was there to help the team and learn, even if it meant never playing. It was player defects and, more notably, Tucker's complete lack of respect for the team and Iowa Univ. that left the team short handed and put John into the situation of seeing the floor.

Him playing was not a mistake. If he is truly as bad as you basketball geniuses think he is (which he is not) then his numbers in the limited amount of PT he got should been seen as nothing short but outstanding. Given the circumstances, he handled himself very, very well.

John sacrificed two years of his college life and one year of eligibility to HELP the Hawkeyes knowing he would never see a minute of playing time and yet was treated 95% of the time like absolute sh*t by people who call themselves fans when the team had its back against the wall and needed another body.

It's truly pathetic.

Maybe you should have read the post properly. While I agree that Lickliter is a decent basketball player, he was not "good" enough to play in the Big 10. Plain and simple. It was due to mistakes that he had to play and would never have played if other players did not make bad decisions or transfer. He was not a Big 10 level talent and was not brought to Iowa to play. I have nothing against the guy and am knocking him as a person, they do seem like genuinely good people. But I am critizing his level of talent being Big 10 caliber. It is not. I said he would have been better served playing at the D3 level directly out of high school. There is a reason he is going D3 and not D2. He is not that good of player and is very small, 5'10 to me seemed generous.
I appreciate his putting himself out there and helping the team as much as he could. To say sacrifice 2 years of college is a stretch too. He was playing for his dad and learning from his dad on a team that he would have never been a part of if his father was not the coach. He got to play with his buddy from high school, Gatens. And he got to stay in Iowa City which is in all liklihood a much better college party town than Indianapolis, never been out in Indy so don't know that for sure.
Again I appreciate what he did in time here and never did I say he was a bad player but he did not belong in the Big 10 and never would have been on a Big 10 roster if his father was not the coach. End of story.
Now, I do wish him and Todd the best of luck. It didn't work out for either of them and John got pushed into a tough situation. Who knows how much his dad pushed him into the decision to walk on at Iowa or not. But the D3 level of basketball will be a much better fit for a player of his caliber and size. He was not a Big 10 player.

You have already proved how ignorant you are. You are saying a kid that started at point in HS for two of the top teams, one being a state championship team, in their respective states is not a good player. Grow up or get a clue.

Is he Evan Turner? No. Is he Cully Payne? No. Is he any good? No. Are there better players at the rec? Yes

You have already proved how ignorant you are. You are saying a kid that started at point in HS for two of the top teams, one being a state championship team, in their respective states is not a good player. Grow up or get a clue.

He was a good HS player and could be a good D3 player. He worked is butt off and had a high basketball IQ but was completely overmatched at the D1 level, especially at the BCS conference level. Thanks for the hard work and best of luck to John and his family.

You can thank the 'better college party town' aspect for being one of the main reasons he saw the floor. Players indulging really was a positive that helped Lickliter to do his job.

So... Your point was that a walk-on was not 'good enough' to compete with the level of play in the Big 10? Very insightful. Wouldn't most walk-ons not be 'as good' as scholarship or recruited players but perhaps be on the team none the less? Maybe we can hear some more of your thoughts about, I don't know, water being wet or fire being hot?

Maybe you should have read the post properly. While I agree that Lickliter is a decent basketball player, he was not "good" enough to play in the Big 10. Plain and simple. It was due to mistakes that he had to play and would never have played if other players did not make bad decisions or transfer. He was not a Big 10 level talent and was not brought to Iowa to play. I have nothing against the guy and am knocking him as a person, they do seem like genuinely good people. But I am critizing his level of talent being Big 10 caliber. It is not. I said he would have been better served playing at the D3 level directly out of high school. There is a reason he is going D3 and not D2. He is not that good of player and is very small, 5'10 to me seemed generous.
I appreciate his putting himself out there and helping the team as much as he could. To say sacrifice 2 years of college is a stretch too. He was playing for his dad and learning from his dad on a team that he would have never been a part of if his father was not the coach. He got to play with his buddy from high school, Gatens. And he got to stay in Iowa City which is in all liklihood a much better college party town than Indianapolis, never been out in Indy so don't know that for sure.
Again I appreciate what he did in time here and never did I say he was a bad player but he did not belong in the Big 10 and never would have been on a Big 10 roster if his father was not the coach. End of story.
Now, I do wish him and Todd the best of luck. It didn't work out for either of them and John got pushed into a tough situation. Who knows how much his dad pushed him into the decision to walk on at Iowa or not. But the D3 level of basketball will be a much better fit for a player of his caliber and size. He was not a Big 10 player.

Last edited:
You can thank the 'better college party town' aspect for being one of the main reasons he saw the floor. Players indulging really was a positive that helped Lickliter to do his job.

So... Your point was that a walk-on was not 'good enough' to compete with the level of play in the Big 10? Very insightful. Wouldn't most walk-ons not be 'as good' as scholarship or recruited players but perhaps be on the team none the less? Maybe we can hear some more about how water is wet or fire is hot?

I guess I don't understand your argument is. Are you saying John Lickliter was a good player at Iowa?
For your information he was a heady point guard at the high school level that played smart and with the best player in the state at the time, Gatens, and another very good big man, Malcom Moore. John may be a smart player but to call him a good player is nuts. Especially playing way above his level at Iowa.
D3 or D2 for that matter will be a much better fit for John, that is all there is to it. I wish him the best of luck as well. However I see him as a servicable backup PG at that level, in no way will he be a star. So you calling him a good player is a stretch. Unless you are comparing him to the 300 lb couch potato fan then yes he is a good player.

There is no point. I forgot I was on a message board for Iowa fans. I forget that from time to time then I visit, read, post something obvious and then walk away with stinging feeling one gets after they have been slapped in the face with a handful of stupid.

Good luck John! If Marian comes anywhere near to me while you are playing I will show up and cheer for you. You were put in a bad situation at Iowa, and we didn't handle the situation well, myself included.

You can be upset with the out come of the season or Lickliter's time at Iowa, but to say that he is a bad player is just ignorant.

He is a smart, gutsy, good player who never backed down once despite being outmatched.

Is he Evan Turner? No, but then again no one else on the team is either.

You my friend need some new glasses!

15 to 11 assists to turnovers last year and the best free throw percentage on the team. He played very well all things considered.

As far as walk-ons go, you can not realistically ask for anything more especially in this program.

Dude, have you watched the guy play? He is not good and does not belong in the Big 10. I don't know how you can argue that? He has nobody but his dad to blame for that.
If you are not a Hawk fan why are you sitting here backing this guy up? He played admirably in the role he was forced into and I think most Hawk fans understand it wasn't his choice and appreciate what he tried to do, but he is not that good of player and did not belong in D1. He is going to D2 or D3 which is where he belongs. That's all that was said.
You're argument is that he is good. Which he is not. If he was good he would have been playing while Tucker was still on the active roster. So if you don't like being slapped with stupidity don't make stupid comments.

Please stop hating on John Lickliter. It makes you look like an ***.

John was on the team for one reason, to help the guys in practice. It's not his fault Jeff Peterson and Jake Kelly left, leaving Iowa with only 2 viable options at PG. It's also not his fault that Tucker left the program, leaving Iowa with only 1 viable option at PG.

He was thrown in the mix as a WALKON, redshirt freshman. Most walk-ons only get mop up duty, and normally that is when they are juniors and seniors. He was forced into an impossible situation. He is a marginal D1/D2 player that got put in a very tough predicament, don't hate on him for that.

For what John lacked in skill, he certainly showed in moxy and guts, something some of our players refused to show.

Whether you like Lickliter or not, just let it go and try to take the high road on this one, please.

While I agree that Lickliter is a decent basketball player, he was not "good" enough to play in the Big 10. Plain and simple. It was due to mistakes that he had to play and would never have played if other players did not make bad decisions or transfer. He was not a Big 10 level talent and was not brought to Iowa to play. I have nothing against the guy and am knocking him as a person, they do seem like genuinely good people. But I am critizing his level of talent being Big 10 caliber. .

I guess my question is why you feel the need to criticize anything? I don't know of a single person who believes he would be playing for another B10 team, not one. No one in this thread made any statement like that.

So when you take into the fact that no one is making that claim there is really zero reason for you to be on here "arguing" that he's not a big 10 player... other than you are a classless d-bag... I'm fine if you want to be a d-bag but the classless part reflects poorly of the nation as a whole and as I member of that nation I take offense.

Now if you will excuse me I'm going to go make posts that criticize the designers of the Hindenberg. I'll keep it respectful mind you, and I'm not going to be criticizing them personally... I'm only going to be criticizing thier zepplin design skills on a national level. Their talents are much more suited to designing model aircraft for kids.

Both he and coach stated multiple times that he was there to help the team and learn, even if it meant never playing. It was player defects and, more notably, Tucker's complete lack of respect for the team and Iowa Univ. that left the team short handed and put John into the situation of seeing the floor.

It's truly pathetic.

Your last sentence is and has been mine.

Please stop hating on John Lickliter. It makes you look like an ***.

John was on the team for one reason, to help the guys in practice. It's not his fault Jeff Peterson and Jake Kelly left, leaving Iowa with only 2 viable options at PG. It's also not his fault that Tucker left the program, leaving Iowa with only 1 viable option at PG.

He was thrown in the mix as a WALKON, redshirt freshman. Most walk-ons only get mop up duty, and normally that is when they are juniors and seniors. He was forced into an impossible situation. He is a marginal D1/D2 player that got put in a very tough predicament, don't hate on him for that.

For what John lacked in skill, he certainly showed in moxy and guts, something some of our players refused to show.

Whether you like Lickliter or not, just let it go and try to take the high road on this one, please.

The only reason people get fired up is because people like MrReality come around calling people idiots for thinking Lick is not good at basketball. My whole problem with the situation is that I play with/against better point guards at the Field House every day, but those guys never had the chance to be in his position. Call it dumb, or whatever you want to call it but he played up there a lot during his red shirt season and was an average ballplayer there. The kid just needs to get out of IC and enjoy basketball again.

The only reason people get fired up is because people like MrReality come around calling people idiots for thinking Lick is not good at basketball. My whole problem with the situation is that I play with/against better point guards at the Field House every day, but those guys never had the chance to be in his position. Call it dumb, or whatever you want to call it but he played up there a lot during his red shirt season and was an average ballplayer there. The kid just needs to get out of IC and enjoy basketball again.

But the only reason that people like MrReality come around is because other people take uncalled for shots at Lil' Lick. If nobody took parting pot shots at him, MrReality wouldn't see the need to defend him.

But the only reason that people like MrReality come around is because other people take uncalled for shots at Lil' Lick. If nobody took parting pot shots at him, MrReality wouldn't see the need to defend him.

Well I don't support anyone taking pot shots at any players either, so we are good there.

Agreed, the whole reason I got fired up is because someone was calling us idiots and d-bags, that is all. I continuously said John was forced into a tough situation and respected him for the way he handled it. I just think people voiced their disagreement with lame name calling.
With that said, I am done. I wish John well, he should be in a position to which he could have some success and I am good with that.

This is a huge step up for John. He'll be going from a place where he was blasted by fans/students and considered the poster child for bad Iowa basketball to a place where he can play and have fun.

I bet he's going to have a blast and I think he deserves to.

Truth

Latest posts