~Joe Wieskamp's Shooting - What the Advanced Stats Say~

JG10Hawk

Our eyes tell us Joe W has been pretty darn good shooting the ball during his frosh season. What some may not realize though, is just how good he actually has been. I decided to dig into an advanced stat that in my opinion is one of the better metrics on how efficient a player is shooting the ball, the "True Shooting Percentage" (TS%). This stat takes into account one's efficiency in shooting from 2, 3, and FT by computing it into one number.

To provide some context I'm going to list the top players(those that averaged at least 20 mpg) in this metric for each year Fran has been at Iowa.

True Shooting Percentage Yearly Leaders:

2010 - 2011: Melsahn Basabe (FR) - 60.6%
2011 - 2012: Matt Gatens (SR) - 61.8%
2012 - 2013: Aaron White (SO) - 57.9%
2013 - 2014: Aaron White (JR) - 65.9%
2014 - 2015: Aaron White (SR) - 63.3%
2015 - 2016: Adam Woodbury (SR) - 58.7%
2016 - 2017: Peter Jok (SR) - 58.1%
2017 - 2018: Luka Garza (FR) - 61.3%
2018 - 2019: Joe Wieskamp (FR) - 63.6%

As you can see, similar to FG%, this stat is mostly dominated with bigs because they tend to shoot it from close range a lot more often. You have SR Gatens and SR Jok that posted stellar senior campaigns and then FR Wieskamp for wing players. That's some pretty elite company as far as wings go under Fran. Then throw in that he is only a tenth of a percentage point behind the best year in the bunch, Aaron White's "junior" year.

In other words, Joe W has had the 2nd most efficient shooting year of anyone in Fran's tenure. He's behind only the junior season posted by the 2nd all time leading scorer in program history. (as of 2/11/19)

Edit: Updated 4/12/19 for Joe's FR year final TS%. He officially had the 2nd most efficient season shooting the ball of any player in the McCaffery era. (20 mpg minimum)

Last edited:
In two years...he will be the B10 POY.

He's beginning to learn how to handle the physical contact on the way to the basket. He made a drive yesterday while a guy rode him and he didn't allow himself to be pushed into the baseline...that was an eye opener. Earlier in the year...he's breaking off that attempt to get to the basket.

If he improves his opportunities off the dribble...he's really hard to guard. Kid is impressive.

He’s only at 74% free throws. That number is going to go up I imagine. He’s at 78% in conference and appears to have found his stroke from the line.

Joe has been crazy good for his Fr year. He just gets the game and is a well rounded player. He plays within himself and within the team like he is a Sr, not a Fr. By that I mean he doesn’t hunt shots, but still scores, he doesn’t turn it over, he almost always makes the smart BB play. He is just fun to watch play.

Joe has been crazy good for his Fr year. He just gets the game and is a well rounded player. He plays within himself and within the team like he is a Sr, not a Fr. By that I mean he doesn’t hunt shots, but still scores, he doesn’t turn it over, he almost always makes the smart BB play. He is just fun to watch play.

It turns out all the pressure I put on him with my expectations didn't screw him up. Go figure.

He’s been the perfect fit for us, and not just because he’s a good player, but because:

1. He’s a good defender. Super long wingspan and good athlete. Will continue to get better here.

2. He’s allowed Baer to move back to his bench role and not worry about scoring.

3. He’s not a high volume shooter. As this thread is about he’s efficient. When you have established guys like Cook, Garza, JBo, and Moss you can’t come in hunting shots.

Our eyes tell us Joe W has been pretty darn good shooting the ball during his frosh season. What some may not realize though, is just how good he actually has been. I decided to dig into an advanced stat that in my opinion is one of the better metrics on how efficient a player is shooting the ball, the "True Shooting Percentage" (TS%). This stat takes into account one's efficiency in shooting from 2, 3, and FT by computing it into one number.

To provide some context I'm going to list the top players(those that averaged at least 20 mpg) in this metric for each year Fran has been at Iowa.

2018 - 2019: Joe Wieskamp (FR) - 65.8%

As you can see, similar to FG%, this stat is mostly dominated with bigs because they tend to shoot it from close range a lot more often. You have SR Gatens and SR Jok that posted stellar senior campaigns and then FR Wieskamp for wing players. That's some pretty elite company as far as wings go under Fran. Then throw in that he is only a tenth of a percentage point behind the best year in the bunch, Aaron White's Senior year.

In other words, Joe W has had the 2nd most efficient shooting year of anyone in Fran's tenure. He's behind only the senior season posted by the 2nd all time leading scorer in program history.

I look at this list and can't get past the part where Melsahn Basabe was really good his Freshman year and then evaporated into thin air.

I look at this list and can't get past the part where Melsahn Basabe was really good his Freshman year and then evaporated into thin air.

His mpg and usage rate all decreased each year throughout his Iowa career. I think the biggest part was the increased talent brought in after his frosh season. The program added White and Olaseni (Gabe didn't play much yet) his soph year then added Woodbury his junior year. Olaseni began to play more by the time Melsahn was a senior. Give Melsahn credit though he struggled his soph and junior campaigns but actually rebounded nicely his senior year with a smaller role.

I’m not sure he evaporated into thin air. I think he was passed bye by White and Uthoff. If you recall his sophomore year they tried to put on this extra weight on him and he just didn’t seem comfortable, not sure if he ever fully got his confidence back after that year.

His mpg and usage rate all decreased each year throughout his Iowa career. I think the biggest part was the increased talent brought in after his frosh season. The program added White and Olaseni (Gabe didn't play much yet) his soph year then added Woodbury his junior year. Olaseni began to play more by the time Melsahn was a senior. Give Melsahn credit though he struggled his soph and junior campaigns but actually rebounded nicely his senior year with a smaller role.

I’m not sure he evaporated into thin air. I think he was passed bye by White and Uthoff. If you recall his sophomore year they tried to put on this extra weight on him and he just didn’t seem comfortable, not sure if he ever fully got his confidence back after that year.

Right...what sucked is he was the initial Fran recruit that was going to usher in this new era of Iowa basketball. Named to the all freshman team if I remember right. It never really panned out for him which is unfortunate, but Aaron White sure made up for that.

He’s been the perfect fit for us, and not just because he’s a good player, but because:

1. He’s a good defender. Super long wingspan and good athlete. Will continue to get better here.

2. He’s allowed Baer to move back to his bench role and not worry about scoring.

3. He’s not a high volume shooter. As this thread is about he’s efficient. When you have established guys like Cook, Garza, JBo, and Moss you can’t come in hunting shots.

He's playing at a junior level because he is a smart player. He never forces anything or takes ill-advised shots. He lets the game come to him.

Right...what sucked is he was the initial Fran recruit that was going to usher in this new era of Iowa basketball. Named to the all freshman team if I remember right. It never really panned out for him which is unfortunate, but Aaron White sure made up for that.

Crazy to think he was a Siena recruit before Fran got the Iowa gig. I'd say he blew expectations out of the water his freshman year and to be honest even his Iowa career as whole. The last I knew, he was still carving out a decent career overseas and is somewhat active with the program on twitter.

I do agree though, after his stellar first year it was a little disappointing to see his production decrease.

Crazy to think he was a Siena recruit before Fran got the Iowa gig. I'd say he blew expectations out of the water his freshman year and to be honest even his Iowa career as whole. The last I knew, he was still carving out a decent career overseas and is somewhat active with the program on twitter.

I do agree though, after his stellar first year it was a little disappointing to see his production decrease.

Basabe looked his quickest his freshman year. I saw him at Drake up close and once in person at Carver. He really operated all around the lane as mostly a 4 but maybe also in the 5 spot sometimes. Not sure how or if his role changed and if it took him away from the basket that was not his game.

I going to paraphrase something I said about him before the season. I said I wasn't worried about points or scoring average but remember saying I wanted to see

• Defense ✓
  • Performing when the lights are bright ✓
  • Getting better as the season progresses ✓
He checks the boxes for me. Unlimited future.

Oops, just noticed I accidentally said Aaron White's best TS% season was his senior year when surprisingly it was actually his junior year. The point still stands though, Joe has been extremely efficient shooting the ball.

His TS% is down slightly in conference play but the slate gets a little easier down the stretch with the Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue games out of the way. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.

Bump

I updated for Joe's final TS% on my original post. He ended the year posting a 63.6% TS%. That's the second most efficient shooting season of any player in the McCaffery era.

2018 - 2019: Joe Wieskamp (FR) - 63.6%

Last edited: