~Joe Wieskamp's Shooting - What the Advanced Stats Say~

Bump

I updated for Joe's final TS% on my original post. He ended the year posting a 63.6% TS%. That's the second most efficient shooting season of any player in the McCaffery era.

True Shooting Percentage Yearly Leaders:

2010 - 2011: Melsahn Basabe (FR) - 60.6%
2011 - 2012: Matt Gatens (SR) - 61.8%
2012 - 2013: Aaron White (SO) - 57.9%
2013 - 2014: Aaron White (JR) - 65.9%
2014 - 2015: Aaron White (SR) - 63.3%
2015 - 2016: Adam Woodbury (SR) - 58.7%
2016 - 2017: Peter Jok (SR) - 58.1%
2017 - 2018: Luka Garza (FR) - 61.3%
2018 - 2019: Joe Wieskamp (FR) - 63.6%
Just for funsies here are the top 15 Iowa scorers' career TRU along with Wieskamp's 4 co-starters career TRUs.

This is strictly for conjecture and not meant for any conclusions to be drawn. I had some free time at work so I tossed the numbers in Excel quick. Haluska's includes his time at ISU, and Woolridge includes his Nebraska year. Obviously a few of these people did not play in the 3 pt era, and a couple of them (BJ and RM) played their freshman years before the 3.

Capture.jpg

And sorted by TRU:

Capture.jpg

Just for funsies here are the top 15 Iowa scorers' career TRU along with Wieskamp's 4 co-starters career TRUs.

This is strictly for conjecture and not meant for any conclusions to be drawn. I had some free time at work so I tossed the numbers in Excel quick. Haluska's includes his time at ISU, and Woolridge includes his Nebraska year. Obviously a few of these people did not play in the 3 pt era, and a couple of them (BJ and RM) played their freshman years before the 3.

Capture.jpg

And sorted by TRU:

Capture.jpg

Interesting to compare past eras. Like you said, those that played before the 3pt line can't really be compared to those that play with it. Throw in how more relevant 3pt shooting is nowadays and it's hard to fairly compare those that played with the 3pt line in the early years vs those that play now.

That said, you're data is telling me Joe W probably has the best career TS% in Iowa history for anyone that's played significant minutes.

Interesting to compare past eras. Like you said, those that played before the 3pt line can't really be compared to those that play with it. Throw in how more relevant 3pt shooting is nowadays and it's hard to fairly compare those that played with the 3pt line in the early years vs those that play now.

That said, you're data is telling me Joe W probably has the best career TS% in Iowa history for anyone that's played significant minutes.
Yeah, TRU is a fun stat because it takes a legacy stat (shooting percentage) and makes it more valid, similar to OBPS. But aside from that it doesn't mean much other than making a subjective correlation to "good" players. It obviously doesn't take into account defense, turnover rate, etc. I wish there was a solid stat that would calc a player's net points in a given period. I truly think there are players out there who score lots of points, but who play such horrible defense and turn the ball over enough that their overall contribution to the game nets out way lower than people think.

And I'm not going to name any names lest I rile up the snowflakes.

Last edited:
I'm sure he became more relaxed as his freshman year went on which helped his percentages. It just occurred to me that one of the people that gets the most crap one these boards is the guy that plays power forward. Basabe, McCabe, and now Cook. Hopefully, Nunge or whoever the next guy in can change it. It seems to me like it would have something to do with the coaching. Fran probably likes to keep the power forward to far away from the basket.