Joe Wieskamp

This is what I'm most interested in. (Rivals has him at 6'6). If he can get to campus at a legit 6'6-6'8, he's a perfect fit to play the 3 in Fran's system. Wish we had him next year!
I'm actually glad we don't have him next year...want a little spacing between our current freshmen and Wieskamp.

At this level he appears unstoppable on penetration. He beat a double team 4 times in a row in the game I watched. The opposing coach quickly gave up on trying to stop him. When he couldn't get all the way to the rim he did display a really nice mid range fade away and a pull up floater. He really did do about everything. 3 pointers, slash and slam, slash and kick, slash and pull up. He even did some work on the defensive side. All and all with 1 game sample size, this kid is flat unstoppable at the Iowa HS level. I have watched the like of Barnes, McDermott, Paige in high school as well. Wieskamp is better than 2 and just as good as the other.
I agree the HS level he's playing at just isn't a challenge for him. If your over 6'3 and can handle and shoot like he can will dominate in HS ball. Big guys can be double/triple teamed and taken out of games sometimes. But not ball handling pgs/sgs. Jeff Horner was ridiculous in HS. I saw him play at DSM north once can't remember if it was his senior yr or not. Almost don't matter he was so good every year he played.

6'5 is what I would say. I am 6'3 and my eyes line up with the tip of his nose. It's not creepy that I was that close. It was a crowded and noisy gym. I was just telling him good game. He single-handedly spanked my brother's kid's team.

It's OK. I was standing next to Peter Jok in the locker room at the YMCA in West Des Moines several years ago and he probably thought I was being creepy. Wanted to give him a "go Hawks" but refrained. I'd say Jok is about 6'5" maybe btw.

He made a very early decision with no hesitation. I think Wieskamp is as "in the bag" as you can get.

The fact that he still only lists his 3 early offers means, that it's either still too early, or hopefully, he's telling others he's firm in his commitment to Iowa and not to bother.

I agree the HS level he's playing at just isn't a challenge for him. If your over 6'3 and can handle and shoot like he can will dominate in HS ball. Big guys can be double/triple teamed and taken out of games sometimes. But not ball handling pgs/sgs. Jeff Horner was ridiculous in HS. I saw him play at DSM north once can't remember if it was his senior yr or not. Almost don't matter he was so good every year he played.

We beat Horner every time we played him my junior and senior years (he was a fresh/soph). He was still young though and he mostly just pulled up and launched Kingsbury 3's all game. Horner was the only decent person on his team so we just let him score his 24 points, it didn't matter. He never really took anyone to the basket or tried to...that's where Wieskamp seems a lot better to me. Horner might be the better outside shooter.

We knocked Horner out of the state qualifier both years which was awesome to us, but it wasn't really his fault. From what I remember his dad was the head coach and kind of a douche. I'd probably be a douche too though if my son was Jeff Horner.

I'm actually glad we don't have him next year...want a little spacing between our current freshmen and Wieskamp.

Interesting thought actually. His freshman year we are going to have a lot of talent. Think about this team:

Bohannon (JR)
Moss (JR)
Baer (SR)
Cook (JR)
Garza (So)

Weiskamp (FR)
Wagner (SR)
Pemsl (JR)
Ellingson (SR)
Nunge/Kreiner/Williams/Dailey/CM

Wow. Fran is going to have some serious talent, clearly there will be some attrition, but I'd imagine the core will remain. Maybe we'd better off with Joe playing some 2 as well. As we are still looking like we will have a log jam down low.

I think he means discouraging in the fact that 5656 has been wrong in the vast majority of his observations.

Oh. I don't see 5656's posts. I had to officially ignore him as he brought out the worst in me. Of course 5656 has to support Wieskamp though. He is a firm believer the higher your scouting rank the better you are. Well Wieskamp might very well end up being the highest ranked recruit in a very long time.

I wonder what his AAU stats are compared to playing HS ball. I wonder and suspect it is quite a change when he plays HS ball.

I've said it before but I can't wait to see Wieskamp and Patrick play with Joe as 3 and Patrick as a stretch 4. These are two guys that I think will be terrific and saw a tweet from Van Coleman listing Patrick as the #14 overall recruit in his class.

I'm not exactly sure how all the AAU stuff works or camps but I'm hoping they get invited to some of the elite stuff and who knows, maybe they can find a SG, PG or C and convince another top tier talent(s) to join and they will be really dangerous!!

Well if he is an early Iowa commit, is a skinny, tweener, that plays low level HS competition...and is a 3 star now...then he is actually a 5 star.

Hope he comes and stays at Iowa a long time...shooters and slashers are highly valuable.

Latest posts