Joe Wieskamp Comparison?

Kenyon Murray

JW won’t be the on-the-ball defender Murray was and on the flip side JW will likely end up being a better shooter. I am talking intangibles, a guy with length that plays big minutes all four years, good in transition and lot of his points will come on put backs.

Basically, what I am describing is a better version of Baer, a starter version.

I'd say Joe has had maybe the best possible season of training to score against college level defenders that he could have gone through. While the HS competition in Iowa may not stack up like elsewhere, being defended continually by 2 or 3 good athletes has to be more difficult than going against just one upper level HS player. Doubtful there are an over abundance of others in the country that put up his numbers in similar circumstances.

He obviously is the real deal and will be ready to contribute from day one. I think its just because he is going to Iowa instead of to play for Roy Williams that some people are skeptical. I'm looking forward to watching him be loyal to the Hawkeyes for 4 years no matter what opportunities he may have otherwise just like he was to his HS buddies. Got some Chris Street in him, homegrown and always wanted to be a Hawk! Getting fewer and farther between...

Kenyon Murray

JW won’t be the on-the-ball defender Murray was and on the flip side JW will likely end up being a better shooter. I am talking intangibles, a guy with length that plays big minutes all four years, good in transition and lot of his points will come on put backs.

Basically, what I am describing is a better version of Baer, a starter version.

Not seeing the comparison with Murray or Baer.

I think Joe is a better shooter and ball handler. I like the Recker comparison.

I actually could see him being similar to Moss. Hopefully more consistent but has the mid range and the 3 point shot. Moss maybe quicker and better in transition. Joe better in half court.

Not seeing the comparison with Murray or Baer.

I think Joe is a better shooter and ball handler. I like the Recker comparison.

I actually could see him being similar to Moss. Hopefully more consistent but has the mid range and the 3 point shot. Moss maybe quicker and better in transition. Joe better in half court.

I'm not sure Moss is even that good in transition. Half the time he does something that looks really cool, and the other half he does something that looks really bad. For me to consider someone good in transition, they have to succeed more than half of the time.

I'd say Joe has had maybe the best possible season of training to score against college level defenders that he could have gone through. While the HS competition in Iowa may not stack up like elsewhere, being defended continually by 2 or 3 good athletes has to be more difficult than going against just one upper level HS player. Doubtful there are an over abundance of others in the country that put up his numbers in similar circumstances.

He obviously is the real deal and will be ready to contribute from day one. I think its just because he is going to Iowa instead of to play for Roy Williams that some people are skeptical. I'm looking forward to watching him be loyal to the Hawkeyes for 4 years no matter what opportunities he may have otherwise just like he was to his HS buddies. Got some Chris Street in him, homegrown and always wanted to be a Hawk! Getting fewer and farther between...

I've said before, I don't think there is a senior guard at Iowa for the last 20 years that could score as many points as Wieskamp did this year facing those defenses. Let alone when they were a senior in high school. To beat constant double and triple teams, it takes a combination of shooting, strength, ball handling, quickness, and aggressiveness that guards at Iowa simply haven't had. Put Moss this year in place of Wieskamp and have him face the same defense, he would score less than 10 points per game.

JW compares to RDM if RDM could shoot. RDM was an elite defender as an upper classman. It’s hard to discern JWs defensive ability from the clips I’ve seen.

This is a video from his freshman year, he didn’t need to create as much because he had Melo, this year he expanded his game a little more to create for himself. Listed at 6’7/190, I think this is a really good comparison for Joe. People expect just a shooter, but he can do a lot more than that.

This is a video from his freshman year, he didn’t need to create as much because he had Melo, this year he expanded his game a little more to create for himself. Listed at 6’7/190, I think this is a really good comparison for Joe. People expect just a shooter, but he can do a lot more than that.
@lightning1

I'm curious to hear from the people who say he's not a great outside shooter and why they think that. Is it just looking at stats? Form? Highlights? Seeing him live? From everything I've heard, he's a great outside shooter. The one game I watched, he went 0fer on jump shots. But the shots he was taking isn't shots he would take with a better team. Judging by the defense that's played on him and the shots he has to take, I think he's gotta be a great shooter to have those shooting percentages.

I was at the Bettendorf/Muscatine game and saw him consistently hit 3's from farther and farther out. The last one he hit was almost to the old 5-second mark; he had Carton's hand in his face and buried it. He didn't even blink, just hustled back on D. Meanwhile Carton looked like someone stole his cornflakes. Pretty much that way in each game I watched him play except for the game where Muscatine qualified for the state tournament; he showed emotion at the end of that game.

I think that he will be a great shooter right out of the gate. Opponents will be wary of our proven shooters (Bohannon and Moss) and our proven scorers (Cook and Garza) and, at least initially, won't pay much attention to a freshman.

I still bust a gut when I think of that situation. At the time he was Indiana’s golden child. I was living in Logansport, Indiana when it was announced he was transferring to I-O-W-A. I had to leave the lunch break room and go into our private locker rooms to bust out laughing at the Indiana fans. You know that look in a guys face when they take a hard hit to the testicles? ROFLMAO!!!!! For the next four days it was “Officially rip Recker week”.

I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed ever shot he made against Indiana and their pompous fan base.