Joe Toussaint - Recent Videos

When I watch the video's there is something about the way Joe moves, dribbles/pauses and drives that reminds me of Andre Woolridge.

What do you think of Joe T on film?
I like what I see so far. He doesn't play out of control but he's still quick enough. I didn't get a good enough look at the things I like to see, from those videos. Evaluating PGs is very difficult. I might see if I can find some of his full games on the internet.

When I watch the video's there is something about the way Joe moves, dribbles/pauses and drives that reminds me of Andre Woolridge.
Yes. I picked up on that as well. He plays with good change of pace. That's what I like to see from a PG. It's the subtle things like this that allows a PG to get a defense to move a little here, or there. Makes entry passes easier. I've had to guard Andre in pick up games at the Field house, back in the day. It puts a lot of pressure on a defender to have to constantly get back on balance and into position. It's the reason why Andre was able to get shots up on defenders that were taller and longer than he was. He was a magician at that. I'm not saying Joe T is the second coming of Andre but I like his pace.

Yes. I picked up on that as well. He plays with good change of pace. That's what I like to see from a PG. It's the subtle things like this that allows a PG to get a defense to move a little here, or there. Makes entry passes easier. I've had to guard Andre in pick up games at the Field house, back in the day. It puts a lot of pressure on a defender to have to constantly get back on balance and into position. It's the reason why Andre was able to get shots up on defenders that were taller and longer than he was. He was a magician at that. I'm not saying Joe T is the second coming of Andre but I like his pace.
I also remember Andre being strong in the upper body. Not quite Rumeal Robinson strong, but strong for a typical Iowa point guard.

Change of pace is important too. If a point guard only goes one direction he's much easier to guard. If he has only one speed he's probably going to get out of control from time to time and negate his quickness advantage.

Woolridge was a first team All-Big Ten and third team All-American by the Associated Press his senior season. He averaged 20.2 points and six assists per game and became the first player to ever lead the Big Ten in both scoring and assists in the same season.

I remember reading a sports illustrated projecting him in the first round. To this day I have no idea why he wasn't drafted.

Woolridge was a first team All-Big Ten and third team All-American by the Associated Press his senior season. He averaged 20.2 points and six assists per game and became the first player to ever lead the Big Ten in both scoring and assists in the same season.

I remember reading a sports illustrated projecting him in the first round. To this day I have no idea why he wasn't drafted.
Too slow/small to defend in the NBA. He wasn't very fast and he wasn't the best defender.

I also remember Andre being strong in the upper body. Not quite Rumeal Robinson strong, but strong for a typical Iowa point guard.

Change of pace is important too. If a point guard only goes one direction he's much easier to guard. If he has only one speed he's probably going to get out of control from time to time and negate his quickness advantage.
He was very strong for his size. He had ways of changing his dribble pace with hesitations, that kept you on your heels a little. He didn't even use his left hand that much. A little hesitation dribble with a head nod and then he was by you and at the rim. Then he'd give you a little head nod and one dribble for a pull up. It was very hard to be in front of him, in the right position to stop what he was trying to do. We were about the same weight but I was a little taller than he was. Being physical and bumping him didn't phase him at all. Played right through it.

We can speculate, that IF he's as good as advertised, he SHOULD be able to come right in and START at PG, or at least jump right into the 2nd string and log good minutes per game. After all, he is the PG of the future for Iowa. GET HIM MINUTES RIGHT AWAY! Either way, he is an automatic upgrade over CMc.

I think adding 5 players next year is a bigger difference than people are thinking. Especially since one of them is the missing piece we've all been waiting for.

Here are a few videos of our incoming PG. I believe a few of these are from their recent playoff run.

The first thing that stood out to me was overall lack of defense by the teams in this league, it looked like an AAU tournament. Some really good athletes with good basketball skills, but the defensive end looked like utter confusion.

Joe has good quicks and good strength. He appears to be a pretty good passer both on drive and kicks to the perimeter and drive and dishes down low. His handle is solid. On defense he gets lost a bunch as does the rest of his team, so he will need some coaching there (insert joke here). He does appear to have a knack for getting some steals. I think he will help this Iowa team in terms of penetration ability, ball handling, passing and overall perimeter athleticism. I’m excited to watch him at Iowa.

i'm most excited about connor (potentially) batting .450 with 10+ homers and 50 rbi's. :)

yeah, we could have used JT this season and he'll be a welcome next season. he needs high minutes.

I think adding 5 players next year is a bigger difference than people are thinking. Especially since one of them is the missing piece we've all been waiting for.

you're right. we really could be a completely different personnel team next season; assuming cook/moss leave and baer's graduation. fredricks, patrick, nunge and pemsl will effectively be new pieces next season.

The three guys most likely to be back are JBo (3rd team All B1G), Garza (Honorable Mention All B1G), and Wieskamp (1st Team Freshman All B1G). That’s a pretty decent place to start and build a team around. How the rest all shakes out is anyone’s guess.

As you mentioned everyone has been saying we need a true PG, and Joe T looks to fit that mold.

I’ll also mention that I kind of like that everyone is writing off Frederick before ever seeing him play at this level. Seem to recall a few players saying some nice things about him in the summer.

you're right. we really could be a completely different personnel team next season; assuming cook/moss leave and baer's graduation. fredricks, patrick, nunge and pemsl will effectively be new pieces next season.

I hope Nunge has been practicing his 3pt shot this year

The three guys most likely to be back are JBo (3rd team All B1G), Garza (Honorable Mention All B1G), and Wieskamp (1st Team Freshman All B1G). That’s a pretty decent place to start and build a team around. How the rest all shakes out is anyone’s guess.

As you mentioned everyone has been saying we need a true PG, and Joe T looks to fit that mold.

I’ll also mention that I kind of like that everyone is writing off Frederick before ever seeing him play at this level. Seem to recall a few players saying some nice things about him in the summer.

Do you think Fran has the coconuts to move Moss to 2nd string behind JBo at shooting guard or [gulp] even 3rd string behind CJFred, if he starts to light it up next yr?

Do you think Fran has the coconuts to move Moss to 2nd string behind JBo at shooting guard or [gulp] even 3rd string behind CJFred, if he starts to light it up next yr?
I have no issue with Moss starting at the 2 spot, in fact I would prefer it. You would have some weird matchups if both JBo and Joe T started together. There will still be plenty of minutes available for Joe T.

My hope is that Cmac loses his minutes to Joe T (hopefully moves onto baseball only) and as far as CJ goes I hope he is a better player than Dailey.

I have no issue with Moss starting at the 2 spot, in fact I would prefer it. You would have some weird matchups if both JBo and Joe T started together. There will still be plenty of minutes available for Joe T.

My hope is that Cmac loses his minutes to Joe T (hopefully moves onto baseball only) and as far as CJ goes I hope he is a better player than Dailey.

Goofball, how can he not be??

I'm hoping the best 5 players next year are Joe T, CJ, Patrick, Pemsl, and Nunge.

Latest posts