Joe Toussaint in the Portal

Wow....at one point the reigns was turned over to JT......then Fran had to go back to JBo at the point.

Now JT gone.

Joe has spent 3 seasons here and I can only recall a handful of times where his play made a difference in the outcome of the game. Good luck to him ,but in my opinion not a huge loss.

Wow....at one point the reigns was turned over to JT......then Fran had to go back to JBo at the point.

Now JT gone.
Saved the season, glad Fran made that tough decision. I get the feeling this was a mutual transaction, he was likely told where he stood going into next season. It probably wasn’t great news for him. He proved he couldn’t run the point this season and it’s not like Fran didn’t give him a chance. Good luck, Iowa will be fine imo. I liked Ullis better. I hope he stays

Now JT gone.
If you don't think the team improved once that that move was made you need your head examined.

Would you have rather Perkins tested the portal? Cause that was a distinct possibility about six weeks ago.

If you don't think the team improved once that that move was made you need your head examined.

Would you have rather Perkins tested the portal? Cause that was a distinct possibility about six weeks ago.
I'm confused.....never said that was a bad thing.

I was basically saying how interesting things turned out.

Murray State, 31-3 this year, lost their coach to LSU and has 8 players in the portal and has 1 scholarship player on the roster. I'm sure with the success they had this year, they feel they can move up. Major rebuilding job for Steve Prohm, who is back as their head coach.

I am going to really miss JT. Best of luck, big guy! Once a Hawkeye…
I agree he was a good Hawkeye. Thanks for venturing out to the cornfields from the BIG City. Always gave all he had. Accepted setbacks without whining. Had his moments. Will miss his bulldog mentality on defense. Hope he finds a good home and does well his last year.

Hate to see him go but was never going to be a starter at Iowa. 3 plus seasons and still doesn't have a jump shot or brakes. Awesome off the bench, nice change of pace guy but not really sold on his defense either. Gave up way too many drives and easy scores. I gotta believe Fran was honest with him and is leaning to Perkins and Bowen to run the point next year. Hope he finds a school that fits his style. I think he can thrive at a school that will live with his T/O's and plays pressure D all the time.

With Dix and Bowen coming in and Perkins, possible Conner, Ulis, Sandfort, and Kris all fighting for the PG/SG position, something had to give. I'm thinking this might not be the end of it.

I wanted JT to stay and I think he is a quality D1 starter in a lot of programs, but the Big10 upper echelon might just have been a bridge too far for this young man. I hope he finds a program that is a small step down in competition and then I could see him dominating.

Seems pretty obvious that Fran told him that it was an open competition at the PG between him, Uhlis, the incoming stud, and maybe even Perkins. Given a crowded field, I think he reasonably saw that he would continue to get 15-20 minutes a night and was 50/50 at best to be the starter. With his skills, I think he can find a fit where he has a more prominent role.

Best of luck. You were a good Hawk, JT!

Have some thoughts on this. Everything that's happened with JT has made sense. The kid plays his ass off every time he's out there. His limitations as a player have nothing to do with effort or coachability. After 3 yrs he is who he is as a player and he's not a scorer or a shooter. And he can get loose with TOs at times (which he did improve on over time but he still had the occasional bad one).

So after having gotten the starting gig and not playing so well over half the season or so Fran put TP in and put JBo back to pg. That was the writing on the wall that JTs role was going to be off the bench to be a spark plug and have sporadic mins going forward. He wasn't going to be asked to lead the team which I think he really wanted to do. Based on him having to be convinced he'd get the chance to when JBo announced he'd return this last yr.

The kid stuck it out 3 yrs in this transfer portal era he stayed way longer than most woulda. Going into his last yr now he's got every right to look for whatever fit he wants. I suspect it'll be somewhere closer to home and probably at a level a notch lower or so. But we'll see. Regardless he's a great kid and nobody should be upset with him leaving.

I will kind of miss him He could make a great play especially on the defensive side and the next time he could drive the lane at 100 MPH come to a sliding stop and watch as the other team went down for a slam dunk (with that look on his face as if to say what happened)
He always appeared to me like he was plying on roller skates
I wish him good luck

I will kind of miss him He could make a great play especially on the defensive side and the next time he could drive the lane at 100 MPH come to a sliding stop and watch as the other team went down for a slam dunk (with that look on his face as if to say what happened)
He always appeared to me like he was plying on roller skates
I wish him good luck
Yeah he had no problem running fast but he sure had a problem being able to stop.

Sorry to see Joe T go. He provided some speed that Iowa seems to be missing year in and year out. Watching the tourney again this year, that is the one thing that really stands out to me is how much faster at every position the teams that move forward are.

Latest posts