Joe T

I don't think there is any question that JT has gotten better during his time at Iowa. I think with his size and lack of outside shot, he just has a relatively low ceiling. But, he is more in control and he makes better decisions now. No question. I think he will have a big role next year, more likely than not as the starting PG. He certainly will have good minutes if he continues on his current trajectory. A transfer doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless his minutes really drop off these last 8-10 games.

Fran has shortcomings, but the man can develop and maximize talent. He and KF very much have that in common.

I don't think there is any question that JT has gotten better during his time at Iowa. I think with his size and lack of outside shot, he just has a relatively low ceiling. But, he is more in control and he makes better decisions now. No question. I think he will have a big role next year, more likely than not as the starting PG. He certainly will have good minutes if he continues on his current trajectory. A transfer doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless his minutes really drop off these last 8-10 games.

Fran has shortcomings, but the man can develop and maximize talent. He and KF very much have that in common.

Yes, he has reduced his turnovers this year and has become a better overall player. Man I wish he would develop his jump shot more. Imagine a guy like JT being able to shoot even 35% from the 3 consistently.

Yes, he has reduced his turnovers this year and has become a better overall player. Man I wish he would develop his jump shot more. Imagine a guy like JT being able to shoot even 35% from the 3 consistently.

I'm trying to remember the player that BJ Armstrong was in his early couple seasons at Iowa. He turned into a very good point guard in the BIG and and had a solid NBA with the Bulls and won a championship. It seems to me his shot wasn't that consistent at first but really developed a nice shot and consistency over the last couple seasons.

I'm not comparing BJ to JT's skill as they are different players, but trying to remember BJ's accession as a player.

Anybody have thoughts?

I sure wish all of you folk could get on the theorizing and planning of what to do with Ukraine and Russia. You are really putting a lot of brain power into this thread that is months away from happening.

I'm trying to remember the player that BJ Armstrong was in his early couple seasons at Iowa. He turned into a very good point guard in the BIG and and had a solid NBA with the Bulls and won a championship. It seems to me his shot wasn't that consistent at first but really developed a nice shot and consistency over the last couple seasons.

I'm not comparing BJ to JT's skill as they are different players, but trying to remember BJ's accession as a player.

Anybody have thoughts?
BJ was a better shooter than pass first point guard from the moment he set foot on campus, and for much of his NBA career. He got assists, as his career totals would verify, bit he didn't hesitate to look for his. And given the choice of taking it to the hoop vs the seventeen footer he preferred the seventeen footer.

If he were two or three inches taller and a proportionally better defender he would have been an amazing college level shooting guard.

He shot over 50% from the floor his sophomore year (1987) and it was one of the keys to the season. He made teams pay for doubling Marble or Gamble.

Anybody have thoughts?
Just always seemed comfortable with the game..........composed as I recall. A bit like KM is in that respect this season.

I sure wish all of you folk could get on the theorizing and planning of what to do with Ukraine and Russia. You are really putting a lot of brain power into this thread that is months away from happening.
I am not sure if this is your first visit, but this is kinda what we do around here. I am not saying that a bunch of middle aged dudes talking about what a 20-year old kid is going to do next is not a bit sad, but I thought we all sorta made peace with that long ago.....

Welcome to the internet, friendo.

That's the entire purpose of sports fan boards. Hot takes and hyperbole are what these things are for. If you take a single thing said here seriously, you've got some issues.

I am not sure if this is your first visit, but this is kinda what we do around here. I am not saying that a bunch of middle aged dudes talking about what a 20-year old kid is going to do next is not a bit sad, but I thought we all sorta made peace with that long ago.....
This is The Island Of Misfit Toys and I love it.

haha, I probably in at least a thousand posts on HN, many more thousands I have read. I wasnt trolling with this post you replied to but I mostly have tried to discuss items we know about. I have stated a long time ago I do not read much about recruiting and dont get too excited about recruits until they are enrolled in school and taking part in practice. I dont worry or talk much about players transferring or portal transfers etc until it happens.

Same with Joe T. possibly transferring in that I hope he stays but what his plans are do not mean anything to me until he does it or comes back. My Ukraine/Russia example was to spotlight we have zero input or knowledge of what is happening in eastern Europe just like with Joe T and other athletes.

Now I will say I have made a lot of posts discussing coaches, their decisions, my thoughts on how good or bad the coaches coach, etc. I have stated my thoughts as to what I think are some negative Ferentz coaching attributes. I surely stated my problems with Alford.

Welcome to the internet, friendo.

That's the entire purpose of sports fan boards. Hot takes and hyperbole are what these things are for. If you take a single thing said here seriously, you've got some issues.
Oh I think a lot of people on here are very serious about their thoughts on Joe T and will he or wont he.

Just always seemed comfortable with the game..........composed as I recall. A bit like KM is in that respect this season.

There's an interview with Gerry Wright where he mentioned BJ almost transfered from Iowa. I can't remember if it was after his Frosh or Soph yr but he wasn't exactly 100% all in with his role/PT. I'd never heard that before just a few weeks ago.

There's an interview with Gerry Wright where he mentioned BJ almost transfered from Iowa. I can't remember if it was after his Frosh or Soph yr but he wasn't exactly 100% all in with his role/PT. I'd never heard that before just a few weeks ago.
Never heard that either but I read an article that after Raveling left his freshman year that the Davis regime projected him in higher regard than had Raveling.....at least if you use playing time as a factor....... thus he became a starter immediately in his second year under Davis.

That would fit in with the narrative that he might have been disappointed with his playing time his FR year.

Well all things being said I am just glad that the team appears to be playing well.

Now that the competition level will be picking up in the next few games we will see just how well we are playing or if it was more of a factor of playing some of the worst teams in the conference. Hopefully it is that we are improving, playing well, and starting to gel together.

Never heard that either but I read an article that after Raveling left his freshman year that the Davis regime projected him in higher regard than had Raveling.....at least if you use playing time as a factor....... thus he became a starter immediately in his second year under Davis.

That would fit in with the narrative that he might have been disappointed with his playing time his FR year.
I do remember that BJ wanted to go to MSU initially (he's a Detroit kid) but they had Scott Skiles who I think was a year ahead of him and he didn't think he'd beat him out. So BJ came to Iowa because Marble and big Ed were coming and the thought of playing early and often with them was what sold him.

He became the starter because Michael Reaves missed preseason time with an injury.

Reaves won the job after the teams 1986 summer trip to China and BJ didn't play well on that trip. That is 100% fact. Perhaps it motivated BJ because he quickly seized the job in the season opening Great Alaska shootout and never relinquished it. But even in Anchorage some were asking Davis if Reaves would get his spot back.

BJ was disappointed with his role Raveling's final year, as were Gamble and Lohaus. Jeff Moe, a starter under Raveling from day one, also saw his Minutes steadily diminish by the end of 1986.

When Raveling left rumors were rampant that six or seven players were toying with transferring. It was all timing. Spring break had just begun. But when the players came back after discussing things with their parents all decided to stay.

I thought that the first half in the game against Nebraska was the best he's played all year. Great assists, tenacious defense. He came back to earth a bit in the 2nd half but was glad to see him do well.