Joe T

For some reason I think Joe likes it at Iowa and knows he’s not going pro or find a better situation elsewhere so he will stay. Plus as mentioned earlier he’s got a a good relationship with the McCafferys especially Patrick. I could be very wrong but that’s my feeling.

I said it earlier and will say it again, JT is not a pg and it's a position that can't really be taught, you got it or you don't. The kid coming in next year is already a better point than JT. JT is a great player to bring off the bench. Ulis is a better off guard than pg as well. Both players have been given the keys to the car and couldn't get it out of the driveway. JBo is the default pg now and that's why Perkins is starting to provide toughness and defense with JBo. It's the lineup that will get Iowa into the Dance, hopefully, but no further. I was hoping Ulis would develop but it's not happening fast enough. Now we have a glut at off guard and the most versatile players will get the most time. If Peyton continues to shoot well that's even less time for JT. I wouldn't be surprised to see JT leave but he will still get a lot of pt at Iowa. Then there is the question of Kris Murry and what is his position? It also appears JBo has to play point to be effective, hey Fran tried but now it's about scratching out wins. JBo is the best option for that.

I said it earlier and will say it again, JT is not a pg and it's a position that can't really be taught, you got it or you don't. The kid coming in next year is already a better point than JT. JT is a great player to bring off the bench. Ulis is a better off guard than pg as well. Both players have been given the keys to the car and couldn't get it out of the driveway. JBo is the default pg now and that's why Perkins is starting to provide toughness and defense with JBo. It's the lineup that will get Iowa into the Dance, hopefully, but no further. I was hoping Ulis would develop but it's not happening fast enough. Now we have a glut at off guard and the most versatile players will get the most time. If Peyton continues to shoot well that's even less time for JT. I wouldn't be surprised to see JT leave but he will still get a lot of pt at Iowa. Then there is the question of Kris Murry and what is his position? It also appears JBo has to play point to be effective, hey Fran tried but now it's about scratching out wins. JBo is the best option for that.
Whoah there. :) You can't teach size but you can teach people to be a point guard. Why not? JT has speed as well so you maybe can't teach a slow guy to go by someone but you can teach a fast guy. The things JT does bad are habits that can be altered. He doesn't have to dribble so much. He can be drilled right to not over penetrate and can work more on the pull up to where it is a gimme to him. I see his bad habits should be curbed more by now and that is on Fran. Your coach evaluates and tells you what you need cause they don't know. The playground and high school where his speed was enough isn't in the Big Ten. He needs to have the other aspects worked on and where and who does he learn from... Fran and his staff.

I just have a different take on it.....he could have literally picked someone all around D1 skills out of the portal instead of giving it to a practice player at best.
I agree here. Fran could have taken just about anyone in the D1 transfer portal that would have at least made a small impact and it's a win vs giving in to Ash.

I would not be surprised to see attrition at the guard spot. But, man oh man, along with Ash's scholly( :rolleyes: eyeroll...man a charity scholly this year) and if JT and Ulis hit the road.......he could hit that portal for some serious upgrading along with the 4 star guy he is bringing in.
Ash is only here instead of a banked scholarship. We could possibly find one player in the portal better and Ulis or Joe T, but no way we find 2.
I agree here. Fran could have taken just about anyone in the D1 transfer portal that would have at least made a small impact and it's a win vs giving in to Ash.
In order for someone to make a small impact, they would have to at least be better than Sandford since he's the last rotation player. If you're only going to get someone who makes "a small impact" you need that person to have only one year of eligibility left because you don't really want to bring in a guy like that for longer.

I want to be there when you walk up to Jbo at the bar and tell him he's not a point guard. I hope you have a strong jaw.

I don't know, but just maybe the player that started for three years and holds the Hawkeye assist record should be considered a point guard. But that's just me.
Guess you don't recognize sarcasm. I've always been a JBO supporter. His stats speak for themselves.

Not sure if Joe is a good enough shooter to play in a Pitino system.

If he does go don't be shocked if it's in conference. Like Rutgers. They lose Geo Baker to graduation after this season.

Yeah, he did have 20 or so friends and family members at the Rutgers game a couple of weeks ago. That grind-it-out style Rutgers plays fits JoeT's skill set. Never thought of it, but Rutgers would be a good fit.

In order for someone to make a small impact, they would have to at least be better than Sandford since he's the last rotation player. If you're only going to get someone who makes "a small impact" you need that person to have only one year of eligibility left because you don't really want to bring in a guy like that for longer.

I agree it should be a 1 yr player, but even an add for shooting depth or to hedge our bets on whether Sandford would be ready as a freshman to contribute or another big in case Filip wasn't able to make a contribution would be better than keeping a scout team player.

Even if the player doesn't contribute on the floor, he would probably be a better athlete for the rotation players to practice against instead of an intramural level player, which would benefit the team more. You never know when you may need depth on the team. Or another shooter, or a big.

I would have just preferred someone who had a reasonable chance of contributing if needed.

He's like a junior now? How long do you wait before the light comes on, and how many games do you lose waiting? JT is a great player to change the pace or come in to spell a player or play D but he is not a PG. Point guards have to have vision, set up the offense, and have a respectable outside shot. JT has flashes of these and even his defense is not good when a player can just rise over him to shoot, how many threes did that Maryland guard end up hitting over him and Ulis, it was a lot. He also has a hard time staying in front of his player. I love JT, I really do. He is a spark plug and I think is great off the bench and ok as a second unit player. Just not a starter. I can't believe I'm saying this but JBo is a much better point.

It's really gotta suck losing your starting spot to a 27 year old guy with artificial hips that isn't even a point guard, and then watch him put on a clinic.

Seriously though I think Joe T is a fighter and will be surprised if he leaves. He always seems to take setbacks like a man and is very supportive from the bench. Always comes in ready and gives all he has. Hope he stays, same with Ullis. They will only get better.

When I grew up the saying was "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Now it seems to be "when the going gets tough, I guess I will be going (elsewhere)" Not a great character trait to have if you want to be successful when you get out in the real world.
To me Joe a strong person. Handles his "situation" well. With his attitude will see light at end of tunnel soon. Need more J. T's..

This made me chuckle. I agree that JBO is a point guard and statistically the best PG in school history if measured by things like assists, outside shooting, and turnovers.

But, the only evidence we have seen of JBO's fighting skills in a bar are being knocked out cold. And, the notion that if you walked up to him and merely said, "sir, I do not construe you as a legitimate point guard" that he would instantly swing on you, seems a bit dumb.
Anyone could get knocked out cold when sucker punched!

Why do you think Uhlis would leave? Fran looked at him sideways a couple times so he is going to bolt? Jbo isn't coming back for a 7th year.

No shit, do you even want players on the team if they are that thinned skin. I wouldn't. I doubt that bothers Uhlis. Hes seems to be a cool cat.

Last edited:
It's really gotta suck losing your starting spot to a 27 year old guy with artificial hips that isn't even a point guard, and then watch him put on a clinic.

Seriously though I think Joe T is a fighter and will be surprised if he leaves. He always seems to take setbacks like a man and is very supportive from the bench. Always comes in ready and gives all he has. Hope he stays, same with Ullis. They will only get better.

When I grew up the saying was "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Now it seems to be "when the going gets tough, I guess I will be going (elsewhere)" Not a great character trait to have if you want to be successful when you get out in the real world.

Well stated! There is absolutely no commitment anymore. It's all about comfort to the youngsters anymore. They hate being uncomfortable.

Ok, yes, he could have done that but Fran giving it to Ash was a good thing to do for him and encourages other players to walkon at Iowa. The player they could have gotten in the portal probably wouldn't have moved the needle much anyway.

It's funny, people view the portal as just loaded with highly skilled or stud players. That is not the case people. Coaches have to pluck needles out of a haystack in there. For every 20 players there may be one that doesn't have issues, is the right fit, isn't a potential disruption on a team and that might help your team. People think of it as a sure buffet of talent and a player will just sign with you. That is not the case.

People don't leave jobs, situations or teams because they are rockin' it an their current place!!

You are getting the best of the worse, the cream that lingers in the middle or is falling to the bottom, most cases.

He's like a junior now? How long do you wait before the light comes on, and how many games do you lose waiting? JT is a great player to change the pace or come in to spell a player or play D but he is not a PG. Point guards have to have vision, set up the offense, and have a respectable outside shot. JT has flashes of these and even his defense is not good when a player can just rise over him to shoot, how many threes did that Maryland guard end up hitting over him and Ulis, it was a lot. He also has a hard time staying in front of his player. I love JT, I really do. He is a spark plug and I think is great off the bench and ok as a second unit player. Just not a starter. I can't believe I'm saying this but JBo is a much better point.

I pretty much agree with this. I will first lay out JT's deficiencies than give him his credit that is due. JT's speed when running the point is a detriment to him. It's great he has speed but he is too fast for his vision which completely throws the timing off in the half court. He's like herding a cat. He's kind of all over the place which is unpredictable and hard to measure for teammates. It's the proverbial trying to shove a square thru a round hole at times. At times, he plays too fast. In addition, he doesn't have that consistent outside shot. Fran's offense is keyed on having an outside threat to pull the D out and open the middle.

Now where JT excels and is valuable is his speed and quickness, in particular on D. He is a pesky defender, a physical specimen who just has a toughness to him and he doesn't back down. He's always tippin balls away or right in a players mug which is uncomfortable to players.

JT also does a good job of pushing the pace and running in the open court. But, unfortunately for JT, 85% of the game offenses are in the half court setting.

JT has a role. Right now until his shot gets more consistent, it's stout and pesky D and taking care of the ball.

Last edited:
For some reason I think Joe likes it at Iowa and knows he’s not going pro or find a better situation elsewhere so he will stay. Plus as mentioned earlier he’s got a a good relationship with the McCafferys especially Patrick. I could be very wrong but that’s my feeling.
That's the why he might stay. The desire to play more and have a larger role plus being able to do it closer to home are pretty big things that could tug at him. I just won't be surprised if he were to go closer to home. As you said he doesn't really have a future past college with the game so why not do it closer to home so you can be with family?

I pretty much agree with this. I will first lay out JT's deficiencies than give him his credit that is due. JT's speed when running the point is a detriment to him. It's great he has speed but he is too fast for his vision which completely throws the timing off in the half court. He's like herding a cat. He's kind of all over the place which is unpredictable and hard to measure for teammates. It's the proverbial trying to shove a square thru a round hole at times. At times, he plays too fast. In addition, he doesn't have that consistent outside shot. Fran's offense is keyed on having an outside threat to pull the D out and open the middle.

Now where JT excels and is valuable is his speed and quickness, in particular on D. He is a pesky defender, a physical specimen who just has a toughness to him and he doesn't back down. He's always tippin balls away or right in a players mug which is uncomfortable to players.

JT also does a good job of pushing the pace and running in the open court. But, unfortunately for JT, 85% of the game offenses are in the half court setting.

JT has a role. Right now until his shot gets more consistent, it's stout and pesky D and taking care of the ball.
He'd be an interesting guy to have watched in practices. How has Fran tried to coach him up and rein him in? Film sessions and pointing things out to him situationally. Cause yeah he dribbles himself into trouble for no reason alot. Doesn't see the floor the best. I love him in the open floor though. He's a solid FT shooter. I bet in practice he's got a solid shot but for whatever reasons in games he just can't knock em down