Joe Labas

You have no idea if that is true or not. It's possible, but he didn't show anything in his one game he played, where he had a month to prepare. Even if they do beat Minnesota with Labas, they could just as easily lose to one of the teams they barely beat with Hill. Labas likely leads an enemic offense if he was the QB, possibly with high turnovers as well. He wasn't all that great in the bowl game and they didn't trust him to do anything. Maybe he would have been better, and I wouldn't have been upset if they gave him a chance, but there is no way of knowing if they would have any different record or results. I'm not holding my breath that he would have been any better if he couldnt beat out Padilla last year or Hill this year.
That's the problem. We don't know what he would look like with 3/4 of a year under his belt. We did however get to see that in a first year transfer qb whom was able to learn the playbook in a couple months, and he underwhelmed.

Folks, I wouldn't get your hopes up for Cade next year, that's damaged goods, coming into Iowa and it's even more damaged now. too bad for the kid, however he is doing okay financially. I think KF, is setting himself up and all of us up for another big disappointment, if he is all in on Cade for next year, just saying.
Yes, it is obvious to me (you and many others as well) we best have a very good plan B, or we could have a repeat offensive offense.

You are not wrong, but I would still say their talent at that position is infinitely better than anyone we have on our roster at quarterback. I would argue they have a bit better luck at obtaining the talent to execute those gameplans. But point taken.
Easy to go with game managers when you have gamebreakers at almost all the skill positions. Unfortunately we don't have that. Agree with you on the talent level as well, but hard to gage when their talent as the skill position exceeds ours and their receivers can not only separate but catch as well. A line that can hold their blocks long enough to give the QB a chance to make plays helps as well.

From this paper, opening sentence of their section on predicting recurrent injuries:

"One clear precept of injury prediction is that the single best predictor of second injury is a prior injury."

Ignore the obvious fact that you cannot suffer a second injury unless you have a first, what this is saying is if you take a group of people who have had a prior ACL tear, and then another group that hasn't, and you try to predict who will have a future injury, there is no characteristic of those individuals that will have more predictive power than whether or not they had that first injury. @Fryowa may have undersold the recurrence rate slightly, some estimates trend towards 1 in 3.
I don’t like to “like” such discouraging news. But I appreciate the info from you and Fry.

I would love for Lainez to get meaningful snaps in this bowl game. If CM gets hurt next year, you can't run this back with Deac...you just can't. If Deac is in an Iowa uniform next year I just want to see him wearing a red cap and a headset.
Hopefully if he is replaced the replacement will be able to think quick to get the ball out quicker and be able to be mobile enough to move around in the pocket if needed

My opinion is going to make some really question my sanity. I think Kirk was using Hill this year as a bridge to Cade's return next year. As much as Kirk hates a QB controversy I think he didn't want fans to rally behind Marco this year and lose him next year when he went back to Cade. Which is his plan.

You are clueless as to how this thing works.

The donors are the only ones who are going to tell Kirk what to do. Beth Goetz is not, and the BOR doesn't care enough about wins/losses to do anything.

FYI the donors got rid of Brian, not Beth lol, and they still love Kirk.

Fry, you make a lot of statements of fact and don’t always show your work. Give us your proof that donors fired Brian and not the administration (which indirectly can include the BOR).

Look, I get how much power big donors wield at times. I was following the antics of Bruce Rastetter (also former Regents President) for years, long before his nephew punted a ball for Kirk. Why do you think that young man was repeatedly shanking punts in an Iowa uniform?
I was probably the first on this sight to point out the obvious.

It may very well be wishful thinking on my part, but I want to believe Goetz and others saw how inept and compromised Barta was. They saw the degree of unchecked power and control Kirk was arrogantly throwing around. Enough was enough. Kirk was stubborn, in denial, and out of control in decisions involving his son. He was unable or unwilling to control Brian. You literally saw a glimpse of that Saturday night as he backed away from Brian’s meltdown. When have you ever seen an assistant coach do that directly in front of the head coach? And did Brian ever face public discipline, or any discipline, for going after an official in the press box a few years back?

Do you think Kirk and Brian are both secretly relieved the discrimination suit never went to trial?
If Brian wasn’t Kirk’s son he might have been fired along with Doyle. Who should have been fired after rhabdo but instead was given an award by Kirk. Hmmm…

The University of Iowa is still a well respected, major public university. You like to think the administrators have some integrity and some backbone. Especially when it pertains to their athletic department and doing the right thing.
It is compelling that Goetz fired Brian midseason and declared he would never work for the university again. Kirk seemed genuinely shocked that it was done this way. Why was it?
Fry, I think you are overstating the donor influence on this one. What, those big donor friends didn’t have the decency to give Kirk a heads up?

The irony is Kirk would have never been hired as Iowa’s head coach at the time if it had been up to the big donors. Kirk was no one’s first choice. Bobby Stoops was, save for Bob Bowlsby who allegedly wanted Terry Allen. Ann Rhodes and the UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION, required the formation of a committee before anyone was hired. It was a gift to Donnie Duncan, the AD at Oklahoma. One man, an ATHLETIC DIRECTOR, swooped in and hired Stoops.

Did big donors want Tom Davis out? Or was it Bob Bowlsby? You tell me. We do know Bowlsby was a careerist and was hoping to make a big splash with the Alford hire.

Again, Kirk created this mess because of his motivations and nepotistic approach. It was misguided from the very beginning. From Rastetter the punter, to the Greg Davis hire and subsequent Brian Ferentz OC hire, it’s not hard to argue Kirk has put his own interests before winning games at times.

Whether it was Goetz or Wilson or the BOR or anonymous donors it doesn’t matter because in the end Kirk was never going to remove Brian. Someone had to do it and Goetz did something Barta never had the guts to do.
I think it would be a mistake, Fry, to immediately lump Goetz with Barta. Time will tell.

So we are at a crossroads. How does the next OC get hired? Kirk has whiffed on the last two hires and we know why. Will there be hiring parameters put in place this time and by whom? A’ la carte OC, or is it time to clean house and let the new OC bring in his own staff?
What’s clear is that some of Kirk’s power has been checked. Will this carry over to his MICRO-management of the offense?

Getting back to the original thread: Kirk is stubborn and myopic when it comes to handling quarterbacks. It is truly mind boggling that he wouldn’t insert a backup qb when the starter is failing so miserably, over multiple games. I dare say any other coach in the country would have seen what the backup could do IN A GAME SITUATION. Some guys are ballers, some practice players, some both. And Kirk doesn’t hesitate benching other position players.

Finally, an example of the above:
I was returning from a road trip listening to Dolph and Eddie call the 2014 Pitt game. The one where Beathard replaced Rudock in the second half and rallied us to victory and saved Kirk’s bacon. Eddie’s very first question to Kirk, postgame, was for him to comment on the incredible performance by CJ.
Kirk’s response, and I quote, “At least he played better than he practiced this week”.
You could almost hear Eddie’s jaw drop.
True story. Classic Kirk.

Not all big donors are pro-Kirk.
New donors are created every day.

Last edited:
You know none of what you want is ever going to happen. Beth didn't have a power struggle with Kirk. He obviously said he would return if BF was fired and so BF was fired. Probably a relief to Kirk because that situation had become untenable.

No head coach in the nation would agree to those terms. Certainly not the schools leading career winner coming off a ten-win season would do it or will be asked to do so.

Most of the time KF is the most popular person in Iowa. Caitlyn probably is now, but KF is a beloved figure around the state. You obviously made your point: you disagree. You clearly think KF is responsible for a failed program. Why do you bother to watch?

Kirk hasn’t run a failed program. Quite the contrary. He has run a very successful program especially given his flaws and questionable decisions. He is human like the rest of us.

I watch because I have been a fan for 50 years. I hope to still be around and rooting on the Hawks long after Kirk’s tenure is over.

Last edited:
Fry, you make a lot of statements of fact and don’t always show your work. Give us your proof that donors fired Brian and not the administration (which indirectly can include the BOR).
My boss is a six-figure a year donor to football and 5 figure to wrestling. He's medium potatoes compared to a lot of them. I can tell you with 100% certainty Beth Goetz was told by a group of very wealthy people who write very big checks, that those checks would stop if Brian Ferentz wasn't let go. If you want me to name names, you're out of luck. I couldn't give a shit less if you believe me or not. I actually kind of like it that you don't believe me. It gives me material.

If you don't in fact believe me, maybe you should listen to podcasts of certain Iowa media. They've said the same as me and I'm sure you trust them more.

Honestly though, if you think Beth Goetz is 1) making this decision on her own, and 2) has the power to do so on her own, you are a moron. That's not an insult, it's the truth. If you think for one second that she could waltz into a program brand new and start firing people like Brian Ferentz, you are simply not intelligent when it comes to the workings of P5 football. If she did so without donor direction or approval, she would be run out of town on rails.

I also happen to know (again, whether you believe me or not is none of my concern), that Beth Goetz was head hunted by donors as a replacement for Gary Farta. But I'm sure you think the BOR and president went out looking for a new AD and found her just waiting in the wings...right?

...I want to believe Goetz and others saw how inept and compromised Barta was.
Both can be true.

Goetz can see he's inept and compromised and still not have unchecked power to fire the offensive coordinator.

Look, I know you want to think this is some kind of idyllic thing where Beth is "mad as hell and not gonna take it anymore" and did the right thing like Commissioner Gordon cleaning up Gotham City one thug at a time, bringing respectability and a new attitude to town.

But that ain't reality, Jack. These programs are run by people with tons and tons of what's called "f*ck you money." Iowa isn't alone in that. She's gonna be the top dog when it comes to any sport not named football or men's basketball, but when it comes to those two she's got the Dons to answer to before she does anything. You can believe it or not but that's how it works.

My opinion is going to make some really question my sanity. I think Kirk was using Hill this year as a bridge to Cade's return next year. As much as Kirk hates a QB controversy I think he didn't want fans to rally behind Marco this year and lose him next year when he went back to Cade. Which is his plan.
OK. I will follow your lead and question your sanity. But, is it ok if I think you are right on?

Look, I get how much power big donors wield at times. I was following the antics of Bruce Rastetter (also former Regents President) for years, long before his nephew punted a ball for Kirk. Why do you think that young man was repeatedly shanking punts in an Iowa uniform?
I was probably the first on this sight to point out the obvious.

It may very well be wishful thinking on my part, but I want to believe Goetz and others saw how inept and compromised Barta was. They saw the degree of unchecked power and control Kirk was arrogantly throwing around. Enough was enough. Kirk was stubborn, in denial, and out of control in decisions involving his son. He was unable or unwilling to control Brian. You literally saw a glimpse of that Saturday night as he backed away from Brian’s meltdown. When have you ever seen an assistant coach do that directly in front of the head coach? And did Brian ever face public discipline, or any discipline, for going after an official in the press box a few years back?

Do you think Kirk and Brian are both secretly relieved the discrimination suit never went to trial?
If Brian wasn’t Kirk’s son he might have been fired along with Doyle. Who should have been fired after rhabdo but instead was given an award by Kirk. Hmmm…

The University of Iowa is still a well respected, major public university. You like to think the administrators have some integrity and some backbone. Especially when it pertains to their athletic department and doing the right thing.
It is compelling that Goetz fired Brian midseason and declared he would never work for the university again. Kirk seemed genuinely shocked that it was done this way. Why was it?
Fry, I think you are overstating the donor influence on this one. What, those big donor friends didn’t have the decency to give Kirk a heads up?

The irony is Kirk would have never been hired as Iowa’s head coach at the time if it had been up to the big donors. Kirk was no one’s first choice. Bobby Stoops was, save for Bob Bowlsby who allegedly wanted Terry Allen. Ann Rhodes and the UNIVERSITY ADMINISTRATION, required the formation of a committee before anyone was hired. It was a gift to Donnie Duncan, the AD at Oklahoma. One man, an ATHLETIC DIRECTOR, swooped in and hired Stoops.

Did big donors want Tom Davis out? Or was it Bob Bowlsby? You tell me. We do know Bowlsby was a careerist and was hoping to make a big splash with the Alford hire.

Again, Kirk created this mess because of his motivations and nepotistic approach. It was misguided from the very beginning. From Rastetter the punter, to the Greg Davis hire and subsequent Brian Ferentz OC hire, it’s not hard to argue Kirk has put his own interests before winning games at times.

Whether it was Goetz or Wilson or the BOR or anonymous donors it doesn’t matter because in the end Kirk was never going to remove Brian. Someone had to do it and Goetz did something Barta never had the guts to do.
I think it would be a mistake, Fry, to immediately lump Goetz with Barta. Time will tell.

So we are at a crossroads. How does the next OC get hired? Kirk has whiffed on the last two hires and we know why. Will there be hiring parameters put in place this time and by whom? A’ la carte OC, or is it time to clean house and let the new OC bring in his own staff?
What’s clear is that some of Kirk’s power has been checked. Will this carry over to his MICRO-management of the offense?

Getting back to the original thread: Kirk is stubborn and myopic when it comes to handling quarterbacks. It is truly mind boggling that he wouldn’t insert a backup qb when the starter is failing so miserably, over multiple games. I dare say any other coach in the country would have seen what the backup could do IN A GAME SITUATION. Some guys are ballers, some practice players, some both. And Kirk doesn’t hesitate benching other position players.

Finally, an example of the above:
I was returning from a road trip listening to Dolph and Eddie call the 2014 Pitt game. The one where Beathard replaced Rudock in the second half and rallied us to victory and saved Kirk’s bacon. Eddie’s very first question to Kirk, postgame, was for him to comment on the incredible performance by CJ.
Kirk’s response, and I quote, “At least he played better than he practiced this week”.
You could almost hear Eddie’s jaw drop.
True story. Classic Kirk.

Not all big donors are pro-Kirk.
New donors are created every day.
Well. That was interesting. No sarcasm.

My boss is a six-figure a year donor to football and 5 figure to wrestling. He's medium potatoes compared to a lot of them. I can tell you with 100% certainty Beth Goetz was told by a group of very wealthy people who write very big checks, that those checks would stop if Brian Ferentz wasn't let go. If you want me to name names, you're out of luck. I couldn't give a shit less if you believe me or not. I actually kind of like it that you don't believe me. It gives me material.
And I don't think this is a IA donor thing. I think OSU's AD said once that he worked for Urban rather than the other way around. No way T A&M lets go of Jumbo if the donors weren't fed up.

My take. The only assurance Wilson needed was that at worst, firing Brian would be net neutral from a donor standpoint vs. keeping him on. Once she had that assurance, no reason to continue enduring national reputational damage each week (never mind the sliding-towards-apathy fan base). There was zero upside to keeping Brian, and the downsides were worse by the week. So she had Goetz pull the trigger.

And I don't think this is a IA donor thing. I think OSU's AD said once that he worked for Urban rather than the other way around. No way T A&M lets go of Jumbo if the donors weren't fed up.
Absolutely correct.

P5 football is as close to the mafia in structure as it gets.

My take. The only assurance Wilson needed was that at worst, firing Brian would be net neutral from a donor standpoint vs. keeping him on. Once she had that assurance, no reason to continue enduring national reputational damage each week (never mind the sliding-towards-apathy fan base). There was zero upside to keeping Brian, and the downsides were worse by the week. So she had Goetz pull the trigger.
Wrong.

People whose names are on buildings and on the walls of athletics facilities "had Goetz pull the trigger."

Wilson stays out of sports. You think she's going to mess with Brian Ferentz's situation when her official comment during the Rob Sand fiasco was, "not interested" in commenting? That's a direct quote from her.

Latest posts