jNW Game predictions

My instinct tells me that Iowa comes out even MORE conservative with MVB out. The offense has looked lost the last two weeks, and that was with CJ's favorite WR out there.

It would be nice to repeat what we did last year with Wadley, and I still think it's quite insane he had more carries in that game last year, than he does in four this year (and I know all the RBs were injured last year at that time).

Wadley is our only proven weapon on offense, and just seems like it'd make sense to use him more.

Fitz has to be fuming after getting blown out hte last two years, and i can't see it happening a 3rd.

NW has the best RB we'll have seen all year, and if we can't stop him, we lose.

20-10 NW

This is where I'm at. The offense has been super ugly the past two weeks, and that was with a healthy Vandeberg. I just don't see how the offense gets better with that injury and with GDGD still running the show.

Brian Bennett says Iowa 23-13
Josh Moyer says Iowa 24-16
Dan Murphy says Iowa 27-14
Jesse Temple says Iowa 24-13
Austin Ward say Northwestern 16-13

OK Boys, no wet kiss on the line this week against the fighting Fitzgeralds. This is one where we get it wrong every year. Hard to figure these fickle purple cats out.

Last weeks closest results, from these well known members are shown below. We're waiting to hear how the smooch with Beth was.

judzeehawkWell-Known Member 14-10 Iowa

M1911A1HawkeyeWell-Known Member 17-14 Iowa

AnyoneButYouWell-Known Member 10-7 Iowa

OK Name the score.

z0Th8rt.gif

101-Dr.-Strangelove-or.gif

Fitz has been very complementary of Iowa this week. Playing nice, you'd think he somehow has come to like or admire iowa.

Really? So I disagree with you on the Miles stuff now you're going to troll me?

It's not a big secret that Fitz marks this game on his calendar every year.

I just asked you a question. This would be our 4th Super Bowl so far this year right? Miami of Ohio, Iowa State, NDSU and now Northwestern.

The Super Bowl excuse is tiring. Northwestern is down this year and we SHOULD control the game from start to finish. We're more talented across the board. If that's not the case it's on our coaching staff and players and not because the other coach wanted to win more

Really? So I disagree with you on the Miles stuff now you're going to troll me?

It's not a big secret that Fitz marks this game on his calendar every year.

For the last dozen years or more, we've been a team that is (or recently was) very good, gets some national attention, but that manages to give inferior teams a chance (and sometimes even a win).

Everything about Iowa screams "circled game" on a coach's calendar. And it's no one's fault but iowa's.

I just asked you a question. This would be our 4th Super Bowl so far this year right? Miami of Ohio, Iowa State, NDSU and now Northwestern.

The Super Bowl excuse is tiring. Northwestern is down this year and we SHOULD control the game from start to finish. We're more talented across the board. If that's not the case it's on our coaching staff and players and not because the other coach wanted to win more

Not sure if they are really very down. In almost any given year, NW has shortages of outstanding players. Fitz is good at getting a lot out of little. He also usually has several really good and smart players and uses them. He may be good at Scratching Where it Itches.

NW lost to W MI. That is likely a top 20 team.
Lost to IL State. That's a pretty good FCS team. Sort of rings a bell doesn't it?
Beat Duke. Maybe Duke is better than anyone Iowa has beaten.
Lost to Nebby. Nebby may or may not be pretty good. Nebby has played tougher teams than Iowa has and beaten them.
Someone thought NDSU might be the Iowa trap game. Actually this one may be.

I have a bad feeling about this one. Something hasn't been right with CJB since he got hit hard and went out against NDSU. With MVB out now, I think the offense will sputter. Northwestern will do just enough to beat a team that they shouldn't, and it'll be a tough loss for the Hawkeyes. It'll be very reminiscent of '09 and '10.

Northwestern 16
Iowa 14

For the last dozen years or more, we've been a team that is (or recently was) very good, gets some national attention, but that manages to give inferior teams a chance (and sometimes even a win).

Everything about Iowa screams "circled game" on a coach's calendar. And it's no one's fault but iowa's.

IMO there is an interesting story as to how that all got started.

When Hayden came to town the Cyclones were riding a hot streak (the only one they've ever had LOL) and Fry circled Iowa State as a must-win game, for two reasons.
1) He wanted a power conference win to build his team's confidence.
2) He wanted bragging rights so he could own in-state recruiting.

Then he famously went on a 15 yr run that pretty much demoralized Iowa State. Being a psychology major that is exactly what he was shooting for. And Iowa State has never recovered.

But . . . and it's a big BUTT . . . like Bertha's. McCarney turned the tables and circled the Iowa game like his mentor had done many years earlier. McCarney started winning against Iowa and everyone paying attention understood why. So other teams (like Northwestern) learned that if you bring intense emotion, that can make up for lack of talent. I think in Kirk's mind he bench-marked Penn State when he arrived, which helps explain his success against them.

Last edited:

So it's tiring, but it's true as this is the game Fitz circles on his calendar. You say Northwestern is down yet Iowa lost to a FCS school and Rutgers just gave Iowa a huge scare. I don't expect this game to be easy, it rarely is. The past couple of years Iowa has dominated Northwestern but before that they won 6 of 9.

So it's tiring, but it's true as this is the game Fitz circles on his calendar. You say Northwestern is down yet Iowa lost to a FCS school and Rutgers just gave Iowa a huge scare. I don't expect this game to be easy, it rarely is. The past couple of years Iowa has dominated Northwestern but before that they won 6 of 9.

We're two TD favorites for a reason. Apparently Fitz forgot to circle it on his calendar the last two years though

read in the paper today that N'western has a lot of injuries. Hopefully the Hawks will add that the Cats list. I think Iowa by 14-17 points.

Last year it was a 16-10 game at the half, the year before Northwestern was just awful.

Northwestern beat 2 ranked teams in 2014 so I don't think they're any better this year than they were two years ago. I mean they've already lost to a MAC and an FCS team this year. Last year we won 40-10 so maybe Fitz only circled the first half of the game.

We've won 4 out of the last 5 against them with our one loss coming in 2012 when we sucked. We've absolutely trucked them the last two seasons. If Fitz treats this as his Super Bowl he's not doing a very good job of it

Last edited:

Latest posts