Jeff Peterson ponders a return to Iowa

Personally I think he needs to sack up and stick with a team for once. He already left Iowa once, you can't just pick up and leave every time things don't go your way. Also, doesn't Arkansas have a top 10 recruiting class coming in or did Anderson lose most of those guys?

That said, I'd still like to have him this year, but I just think it shows something about his character.

Personally I think he needs to sack up and stick with a team for once. He already left Iowa once, you can't just pick up and leave every time things don't go your way. Also, doesn't Arkansas have a top 10 recruiting class coming in or did Anderson lose most of those guys?

That said, I'd still like to have him this year, but I just think it shows something about his character.

Their top recruit doesn't look like he is going to qualify. Two other recruits want out. Basically the whole class could be imploding.

i dont think anderson wants JP regardless of what he said publicly.

well. he might now, but he didnt before.

Huge JP fan and who knows, maybe with a Cole endorsement, McCaffrey gives him a look. We would gain a veteran PG who can play up tempo and get an insurance policy against a Cartwright injury or in game cramping issues. I really think PG is our most vulnerable spot on the floor, as one BC twisted ankle or concussion and we are hosed. Marble, Hubbard, Oglesby might be spot duty guys, but I am not confident that they would be long term solutions in the event of a prolonged injury to BC.

Who in their right mind would want to stick around and play for Lickliter? JP was a stand up guy and very complimentary of the school, fans, etc., just not our tool of a coach. These kids get 4 years to play ball and when schools make coaching changes, it's not fair to shackle them to someone they didn't sign up to play for. JP was an Alford recruit and he made every effort to honor that commitment, but Lickliter drove him out, along with Kelly, Fuller, Freeman and Davis.

serviceable Big1G point guard: check

high GPA and will graduate in four years: check

wants to go to graduate school: check

I'd take him. Character? The 3.3+ GPA and the desire to get an MBA say a lot. He's not a transfer because he's a thug, a borderline student, or can't "stick with" a program. He's a smart young man who looks out for his own interests. I'd take that.

The NCAA rule about a player with an earned bachelor's having to sit out a year unless the school has a different grad program is stupid. With all of the one-and-dones and kids who don't graduate on time, you'd think the NCAA would hold up a kid who still has a year of eligibility left and a degree in hand as an exemplar and just let them play, as long as they are a full-time grad student.

Last edited:
The rule might be dumb, but it is the rule and if memory serves, I think they even made it more rigid based on Masoli working a loophole.

Jeff will NOT be able to come to Iowa and just get an MBA. He would have to enroll in a specialized program not offered at Arkansas. Actually, shouldn't be that hard to find one, because they are a limited graduate school.

I think they even made it more rigid based on Masoli working a loophole.

Skip- I think the SEC may have cracked down on that situation. I may be mistaken on that though. Wouldnt that be weird though? The SEC being trend setters in rules of eligiability.

He's a great guy and I would welcome the experience. Could we do better? Possibly, but we certainly would be hurt by him being on the team.

While I half-subscribe to "Once a Hawk, always a Hawk", I also believe (not considering guys who flunk, go JUCO, then come back like several of our FB players) once gone, stay gone.

Arkansas is going to suck (at least according to some)? He made that bed himself. While one can argue Lick may have been the problem, that's too bad. Either one plays in the program or one doesn't. Would be different if he left/de-committed when Alford left, but that was not the case.

Fran ought to stay clear of this guy. No reason to act desperate.

I can understand that sentiment, but we welcomed back Lance Tillison and that worked out well.

But, really it is more of an issue of what is best for Jeff in my book. I just think he should look at it as starting grad school, not finishing his basketball career.

I know it is unlikely that Jeff will return to Iowa,but lets remember his history as a Hawk.
Frosh year- came in as a late signee,was going to backup tony Freeman,who then got hurt in practice in November,and Jeff was thrust into the starting lineup. He plays fairly well,but then breaks his finger. Continues to play,but later in the Big Ten season,he gets sick and is sick for much of the second half.
Then as a sophmore,he breaks a bone in his wrist early on,plays pretty well despite this broken bone,then tears a hammy late in the season vs Wisky.

Two miserable seasons,record-wise,for th Hawks,and Peterson is plagued by injuries thruout. Then his running mate,Jake Kelly,announces he is leaving after that second season. So,Jeff is faced with a bleak future of playing a slowdown style,under a coach whose prickly personality was turning off players en masse,with little chance to win, without his buddy,Jake,the best player. He saw Lick run off Tony Freeman the prior spring,so he knows what the future could hold for him,a non-fav of licks.
I do not really blame him for bailing.
He was really recruited to Iowa by SA,who played a different style,but Peterson took a shot with the new guy cus he liked the school.
He could finish under a guy who he definitely would have liked to play for all along,Fran.
Like most of us,he did not ever see Lick being shown the door so quickly.
Life if all about good timing,and Jeff has had no good luck with that.
At least he knows Matt Gatens,and the University of Iowa well...that is a start.
Competition is always a positive for a program,and having a veteran pg pushing our senior vet pg is not a bad thing.

I think obviously most people would take Jeff at this point, but I don't think we are going to get him. This is all about playing on a team going to the NCAA tourny, and even though there is potential for our team this year, we aren't close enough to making it yet. Fran would have to do a major selling pitch to get Jeff to come here.

Personally I'd be thrilled if he came back. Iowa has a very favorable schedule next year. Look closely and you can smell a post-season appearance.

I don't blame JP for leaving. Hell, as a fan I almost bailed out myself. Lickball was terrible. No excuses. He left on good terms, and perhaps a door is still open.

He's a stand up guy. Hope he can make it back.

Latest posts