Jeff Peterson ponders a return to Iowa

I'd rather have a JC guy to stick around for 2012 to help or run the point that year, but if it comes down to we cant/or wont get anyone might as well use the schollie.

It would be so cool if JP would return.

There are a number of graduate programs that would really complement his business degree and he could still take a course or 2 at the Tippie (sp?) school of business.

What would be way too cool (and I know it won't happen) is if J COLE, the good buddy, was actually granted another year of eligibility after getting injured at exactly the wrong time and getting screwed out of a year plus of playing time. He is forced to sit out the first semester and pays his own way.

JC and JP combine to come off of the bench playing enough minutes and in crunch time to 22 regular season wins.. They make it to the Big Ten Championship game and get a play in game into the NCAA's.

That's when the Hawkeyes shock the world and make it to the Final Eight and lose in OT to the eventual national champion.

It starts a 10 year run unprecedented under coach Fran and Iowa BB is officially BACK.

JP and JC are immortalized forever in HAWKEYE BB history.

I know... I know... I'm dreaming or is it some wonderful spirits?

You must be drinking powerful firewater, aaronzuriel, but I really like the scenario. I do believe the return to past glory has begun and in a relatively short period of time will be apparent to most if not all. I really have high hopes for the team this year. Fran seems to be loading the deck with his type of player. This is a very crucial season for the Hawks, especially becoming attractive to top recruits, like Woodbury and Gesell among many others.

As far as Peterson is concerned, would he be satisfied in a non-starting role. Perhaps not. If the team chemistry would work out, he could help considerably.

I can't imagine JP thinks he is going to be starter this late in the game. Add to that he wants to go to a school that has a shot at making the tourney and the plot thickens. Hate to say it, but any team with a shot at making the dance isn't fishing for a starting PG in June. I think there are certainly better situations for him with respect to making the tourney, but I think JP could fill a key void for us (backup PG) without scaring any 2012 recruit off. We are a Cartwright injury away from having our season go down the drain IMO.

[QUOTE=HawkinGoferLand;448857]JP would make a solid, solid back-up to Cartwright. If he has to sit a yr, then I doubt Iowa goes after him anyway. If he can play next season, this could be quite the story.[/QUOTE]

Is Cartwright really better than JP? I'd say they're of about equal value.

[QUOTE=HawkinGoferLand;448857]JP would make a solid, solid back-up to Cartwright. If he has to sit a yr, then I doubt Iowa goes after him anyway. If he can play next season, this could be quite the story.

Is Cartwright really better than JP? I'd say they're of about equal value.[/QUOTE]

Cartwright is better than Peterson.

Is Cartwright really better than JP? I'd say they're of about equal value.

Cartwright is better than Peterson.[/QUOTE]

Not by much. You'd think BC was Derrick Rose by reading the posts on this board. He's a good player but not appreciably better than JP.

Cartwright is better than Peterson.

Not by much. You'd think BC was Derrick Rose by reading the posts on this board. He's a good player but not appreciably better than JP.[/QUOTE]

You're overlooking the fact that Cartwright knows our system and Peterson doesn't, which makes all the difference in the world.

Not by much. You'd think BC was Derrick Rose by reading the posts on this board. He's a good player but not appreciably better than JP.

You're overlooking the fact that Cartwright knows our system and Peterson doesn't, which makes all the difference in the world.[/QUOTE]

True, but you're overlooking the fact that the last time we saw Peterson he was a fresh (or soph?)and Cartwright was a junior and that extra year or two of development makes a difference in perception of ability.

You're overlooking the fact that Cartwright knows our system and Peterson doesn't, which makes all the difference in the world.

True, but you're overlooking the fact that the last time we saw Peterson he was a fresh (or soph?)and Cartwright was a junior and that extra year or two of development makes a difference in perception of ability.[/QUOTE]

I know looking at stats isn't the best way to really compare players, but Peterson's past season was pretty poor.

He would be a good backup PG, and although Cartright isn't Rose, he is better than Peterson, and it isn't by a negligible amount.

I have been pretty adamant this not happening, I just can't see the guy transferring back, but according to the On Iowa Podcast- CR Gazette with Marc Morhouse(sp>) and Scott Doctherman, and they claimed they know for a fact that the offer is out there. Really surprised me.

While playing for the Hawkeyes, Cartwright was much more of a factor than Peterson was. If I remember correctly, JP loved turnovers and shooting threes whether or not he was making them. It also seemed that there was a cloud of turmoil hanging over his head, of course, that was probably hanging over the head of each and every Hawk on the team during the Lickliter regime. There is something unsavory about chronic transfers, going from team to team and back again to try to find the right fit.

:)

While playing for the Hawkeyes, Cartwright was much more of a factor than Peterson was. If I remember correctly, JP loved turnovers and shooting threes whether or not he was making them. It also seemed that there was a cloud of turmoil hanging over his head, of course, that was probably hanging over the head of each and every Hawk on the team during the Lickliter regime. There is something unsavory about chronic transfers, going from team to team and back again to try to find the right fit.

You're thinking of Tony Freeman.

Thanks for the clarification, hawkeye12345, the Lickliter years are easy to forget as painful as they were. Sometimes the entire team blends into an unsavory mess due to coaching style.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more it seems like a perfect fit.

If I'm Fran, I'd only need a short conversation with Peterson where I establish it is highly unlikely that he'll start and guarantee nothing but a jersey and a fair chance to earn as much playing time as he deserves based on his play in practice.

If Peterson says he is fine with that and eager to fit in, how could you turn him down? A mature, experienced Big Ten point guard with no baggage, a love of the school and its fans, great grades and enrolled in a graduate program showing up on your doorstep in late June? My god, that's a coach's dream.

And if your Peterson, and you take out the previous Iowa experience, how could you find a better situation? A likely NIT team with a chance - a legit chance - to at least be a bubble team if a few breaks go their way. Oh, and by the way, they like to run and they only have one point guard on the roster.

How could Peterson find a better fit? Then incorporate his love of the university and its fans, not to mention getting a chance to play in Carver again - this time in front of people other than relatives of the basketball team - and it all feels too perfect.

If he truly has an offer, I can't imagine he'd find a better situation.

True, but you're overlooking the fact that the last time we saw Peterson he was a fresh (or soph?)and Cartwright was a junior and that extra year or two of development makes a difference in perception of ability.[/QUOTE]

Your argument would have some merit if JP had more than one year of eligibility left. Because he doesn't, it will take him most of the season to learn the system, as it did Cartwright. He will make a great backup pg if he comes, but he will never be the starter, barring injury to Cartwright.

Me thinks people are overemphasizing the word "system." That word seems a little more applicable to the last coach. Fran's "system" is not complicated.

It also seemed that there was a cloud of turmoil hanging over his head, of course, that was probably hanging over the head of each and every Hawk on the team during the Lickliter regime.

I don't think that factor should be underestimated.. Not to make excuses for anyone's performance, but the Lickliter era is the darkest period I've ever seen (far worse than the Alford era IMO) so am not sure how much stock we can put into what player's were producing when their games were shackled by a slow-it-down "my way or the highway" system..

That said, J-Pete averaged 10.6 points and 4.2 assists as a soph... not bad. Looks like he actually regressed in his one year at Arkansas, but I have to wonder if that's more coaching/turmoil given that JP left Arkansas after just one year.. He could flourish under Fran's coaching the way Cartwright did.

Regarding JP "not knowing the system" the way Cartwright does, I'd say that BC did pretty well in just one year in the system. That doesn't worry me. In fact, I think the whole "knowing the system" thing is somewhat overrated. Basketball is basketball.. It doesn't take years to learn a system the way some were claiming it took under Lick.

I think JP would be a nice backup to Cartwright or maybe even a guy to have on the floor at the same time as BC at times.. I'd take JP back in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Me thinks people are overemphasizing the word "system." That word seems a little more applicable to the last coach. Fran's "system" is not complicated.

Couldn't agree more. Cartwright did pretty well his first year in Fran's "system", so don't see why JP can't do the same.

And I seem to remember a group of players winning 30 games in Mr. Davis's first year.. They didn't have much trouble picking up on a new system. I think the whole "system" thing is way overblown.

A bit of a learning curve under a new system is one thing, but it doesn't take years.

Latest posts