Jeff Peterson ponders a return to Iowa

True, but you're overlooking the fact that the last time we saw Peterson he was a fresh (or soph?)and Cartwright was a junior and that extra year or two of development makes a difference in perception of ability.

Your argument would have some merit if JP had more than one year of eligibility left. Because he doesn't, it will take him most of the season to learn the system, as it did Cartwright. He will make a great backup pg if he comes, but he will never be the starter, barring injury to Cartwright.[/QUOTE]

I think the "learning the system" thing is somewhat overrated. You get JP in one day 1 of practice and he'd have enough time to be schooled up on the system to be comfortable with it.

But if you want to talk about systems then you have to remember that JP was stuck running Lick's system which was a slow down half-court one and one that wouldn't have showcased his talents as much as BC was able to have his.

Look, I think BC would be the starter in a hypothetical situation we're talking about and is slightly better than JP. Just not as much as some think. Guess we can agree to disagree.

Me thinks people are overemphasizing the word "system." That word seems a little more applicable to the last coach. Fran's "system" is not complicated.

Given the intense detail of Fran's scouting reports and game prep I would say that JP could very well hold an edge over some players given his well-documented academic prowess. even having a guy like that on the bench can be very helpful.

If Jeff decided he wanted to return to Iowa. It would be pure insanity not to welcome him with open arms. However, he won't start over Bryce, because Fran is trying to develop a team and has put the keys of that team in Bryce's hands. No way he yanks them at this point.

Jeff would have to be comfortable with that. Now, that being said, truly running Fran's system, including the press, will require a vast reduction of playing time for Bryce. They couldn't press nearly as much as Fran wants last season. Without a second high minute point, they won't be able to raise that total as much as Fran would like this year.

Jeff Peterson's numbers his sophmore year at Iowa...

10.6 pts, 4.2 Assts,2.4 rbs, 1.2 steals,3.2 turnovers.
45% fg, 40% 3pt fg,83% ft.

He played most of that season with a broken bone in his wrist before tearing his hamstring late in the year and not coming back.

I remember how impressed I was with his improved 3pt shooting that sophmore year,and his improved finishing ability in the paint off the dribble. He lead the team in steals and assists,and in led the Big Ten in assists in league games only.

I think he would be a great addition. We need ballhandlers and shooters from the perimeter,two huge weaknesses last year. An 83% free throw shooter who can handle could be huge down the stretch late in games,having both pgs out there to close out games.

I'd hardly say falling *** backwards into a proven backup PG who won't cost you a scholarship down the line falls under "desperate".

Yes it is "desperate". And he left before (the other poster referencing Tillison is the type of "exception" I cited, like Clinton Solomon, Shonn Greene or Amari Spievey, who went JUCO or simply sat out).

JP may be a fine player, but he LEFT. He didn't flunk out, he didn't have a sick parent or child, he didn't get kicked off the team. He left because IOWA was going to suck. So be it.

If JP, Jake Kelly and one or two others had stayed, Lick may still be here. Cumulatively, they contributed to a coach losing his job (no, I don't want Lick back).

He LEFT the program of his own volition.

JP left because he like plenty of others didn't feel like playing in games that were that low scoring and bogged down. Remember, he committed to Steve Alford, much like Jake Kelly. They committed to a completely different style and were unhappy in that style.

Yes it is "desperate". And he left before (the other poster referencing Tillison is the type of "exception" I cited, like Clinton Solomon, Shonn Greene or Amari Spievey, who went JUCO or simply sat out).

JP may be a fine player, but he LEFT. He didn't flunk out, he didn't have a sick parent or child, he didn't get kicked off the team. He left because IOWA was going to suck. So be it.

If JP, Jake Kelly and one or two others had stayed, Lick may still be here. Cumulatively, they contributed to a coach losing his job (no, I don't want Lick back).

I'm 100% confident that Lick was the sole reason that he lost his job. If you need proof then just take a peek at where he landed and how long it took him to even find a coaching gig as will Iowa.

The success of Butler clearly wasn't from anything that Lick was or wasn't doing. In fact, Butler has done better without Lick at the helm.

I'm 100% confident that Lick was the sole reason that he lost his job. If you need proof then just take a peek at where he landed and how long it took him to even find a coaching gig as will Iowa.

The success of Butler clearly wasn't from anything that Lick was or wasn't doing. In fact, Butler has done better without Lick at the helm.

I think the post you refer to said that the players leaving CONTRIBUTED to Lick losing his job. There's nothing about that statement that isn't true. How much it contributed to him being fired is up for debate but it definitely contributed to his demise.

Tillison's transfer was nothing like Solomon's, Greene's or Spievey's. Each of the latter three left due to grades with the full expectation that they would be back. Tillison did not.

Lance left because he imagined greener pastures and the hope of staying at safety after the Iowa coaches had switched him to LB.

Things didn't work out in the switch for a number of reasons.

Highly doubt McCaffrey is interested in Peterson because he is such a loyal guy and his loyalty is to his players, not a former Alford recruit coached by Lickliter. With that being said, Peterson, IMO, would absolutely help the team if, as others have stated, he could accept a backup role. Whenever Cartwright is not on the floor, we struggle to get anything going offensively. Peterson would give us an insurance policy against an injury and allow Cartwright to be stronger at the end of games when we need him the most.

Sure we have band-aids that can be applied should Cartwright get injured / find himself in early foul trouble, but PG isn't really a position that can be remedied with patchwork fixes. Whoever we throw into that role will have their effectiveness diminished (Marble, Hubbard).

I think Dochterman has indicated that the Iowa coaching staff has reached out to Jeff already,and are certainly interested in him returning to Iowa.
As for loyalty..hey,we have 13 schollys,and Iowa pursued another pg in Washpun and fell short. I certainly do not think it would display any disloyalty for the coaching staff to fill a clear hole in the roster. The Hawks have a single player who has played pg whole career on scholly, Bryce. Every other candidate at that position would be playing out of position. Any player who would question Fran trying to fill that hole with a true pg is not very interested in winning.

My bad, didn't catch that in Dochterman's article. Excellent post and I agree on the winning should trump individual agendas. I am a bit surprised the staff has reached out, but hope it moves forward and would love to see Peterson finish up at Iowa.

If Peterson ends up at Iowa, I think towards the end of games we'd see a lot of three (four?) guard lineups with Cartwright, Peterson, Gatens, Hubbard and Mel. Substitute Marble for one of the three other guards, too.

In my mind, those six would clearly be Iowa's best players and would get a ton of minutes in crunch time. If White can develop, I think he gets mixed in too.

College basketball, and even the NBA now, is all about having perimeter players. Guys with at least two of the three skills of ball-handling, penetrating and shooting. Assuming Marble continues his improvement, Iowa will have five experienced guys that fit this mold - Gatens, Marble, Hubbard, Cartwright and Peterson.

Of those perimeter skills, Peterson might be the only guy with all three.

Adding Peterson to the mix gives Iowa an extremely deep, experienced and versatile backcourt - the most important part of a college basketball team.

Adding Peterson would make Iowa a MUCH better team next year.

To the poster who mentioned that Fran's loyalties are to his players. I think that is, in large part, true. However, that loyalty is the very reason why the coaching staff should pursue Peterson. That loyalty demands that Fran take action to try to improve the team.

This would be a good get.

If Peterson ends up at Iowa, I think towards the end of games we'd see a lot of three (four?) guard lineups with Cartwright, Peterson, Gatens, Hubbard and Mel. Substitute Marble for one of the three other guards, too.

Iowa's interior D would be absolutely atrocious with that lineup.

You'd be basically giving up size everywhere.

Mel would guard the biggest opposing player, Hubbbard would be guarding a PF, Gatens on a small forward, and either Peterson or Cartwright guarding a SG.

That would be bad news for the Hawks.

Yep, and some lumbering power forward from Wisconsin would have to come out on the floor and try to guard Hubbard. And some oaf from Sheboygan will have to get up and down with Mel. I'd take those mismatches every time. Fran is often going to put his best basketball players on the floor, which is good news, Hawkstrat.

Basketball is less and less about size and more about perimeter play. Fran always says the best defense is a good offense. He wants to outscore you. Like Gus Johnson says, Fran wants to put the biscuit in the basket.

Iowa's interior D would be absolutely atrocious with that lineup.

You'd be basically giving up size everywhere.

Mel would guard the biggest opposing player, Hubbbard would be guarding a PF, Gatens on a small forward, and either Peterson or Cartwright guarding a SG.

That would be bad news for the Hawks.

Iowa could run like hell on their opponent though.

As far as JPete coming back, I don't expect it to happen.
However, there is nothing negative by him returning. It can only help.
Iowa and its fans should welcome him back.

Latest posts