Jeff Brinson Leaving Iowa

As for the reason he's leaving is because we are stacked at RB - how come that doesn't happen too often at USC. The RB's there are all 5 & 4 star recruits. The RB's did a good job this year, and they'll improve, but I didn't see any "wow" factor from the group.

As for the reason he's leaving is because we are stacked at RB - how come that doesn't happen too often at USC. The RB's there are all 5 & 4 star recruits. The RB's did a good job this year, and they'll improve, but I didn't see any "wow" factor from the group.

Florida had a running back this year that transferred from USC. You live in Destin, FL? We are heading there Monday, March 1st for 9 days. I hope it warms up down there. Looks like its been a lot of days in the 40's/50's.

I wonder if it was home sickness or the fact that we are stacked at running back next season.

according to brinson's comments...It was to be closer to his ailing dad. had nothing to do with playing time. He said he had been told by the coaches he would get his shot at starting next season. Even though he has only one carry as a hawkeye, i think he may have been our best running back. But we will never know.

sux he is leaving but better him than Adam, Brandon, or Jewel- i think Coker just smiled lol

Not so sure about the -better him leaving than Adam, Brandon or Jewel part. Out of those 3 we have one proven decent BIG TEN running back. Jewel Hampton and he is recovering from an ACL injury. Who knows what will happen with that... Wegher was under 4 ypc and Robinson was barely over 4ypc. Not good. Not even close to being good.
Now Coker on the other hand is a beast. I'm sure he is smiling with Brinson leaving. I most certainly would be if I were him! But as a Hawk fan, I most certainly am not smiling about Brinson leaving...
That being said, we should be just fine at RB.

Maybe the answer to your question lies somewhere in the NCAA's investigation of the USC program...

How can you be fed up with some people speculating that Brinson could be a solid running back at Iowa? I'll agree that we can never know how good a kid is going to be...but we've got indicators as to how good they'll be and I guess we could spend 100% of our time discussing things that have already happened in order to ensure that we never find ourselves speculating on something that hasn't happened yet.

Are you also sick and tired of people saying that they think Bernstine is going to be good?

Jeff Brinson was annointed by some as a great Iowa running back and weve never seen him do a damn thing. I have never seen so much speculation/excitement for a player that never stepped foot on the field except for one run in a 30 point game against ISU. Look at the number of threads about Brinson on this site and TOS, its incredible. Lots of hype - thats all i was sick of

I didnt want him to leave but this isnt exactly a surprise.

Brinson doesn't have the skill sets that Hampton, Robinson, or Wegher have. He'll likely transfer to a FCS school to have a chance to start. Only team in the Big Ten that he could start for next year would be Indiana.

The only reason why people fell in love with Brinson, without seeing him play, was that he was a highly recruited Florida running back. Iowa State did the same thing to (I think his name is) Robinson.

Not so sure about the -better him leaving than Adam, Brandon or Jewel part. Out of those 3 we have one proven decent BIG TEN running back. Jewel Hampton and he is recovering from an ACL injury. Who knows what will happen with that... Wegher was under 4 ypc and Robinson was barely over 4ypc. Not good. Not even close to being good.
Now Coker on the other hand is a beast. I'm sure he is smiling with Brinson leaving. I most certainly would be if I were him! But as a Hawk fan, I most certainly am not smiling about Brinson leaving...

That's a little misleading to use Wegher and ARob's ypc averages. They were both FRESHMEN playing in the Big Ten. You're surprised that their numbers didn't jump off the chart?

Over the course of Iowa's last 5 games, Wegher rushed for 320 yards on 65 carries (4.9 ypc average) and 5 TD's, while playing in 4 of the 5 games. Robinson rushed for 205 yards 46 carries (4.47 ypc) and no TD's while playing in 3 of the 5 games. It should also be noted that Robinson faced Ohio State's defense, while Wegher did not.

And throughout the course of the season, it was very, repeat VERY rare for both ARob and Wegher to have a bad day (when both were playing). Wegher's worst games (Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota) coincided with some of ARob's better games. The Arkansas State game was the only time that neither back was productive.

Again, this was with two freshmen. They got better as the season wore on, once they started to find a groove. Robinson's numbers would have looked much better had he not gotten hurt against MSU, and Wegher's improvement was plain for all of us to see.

And before anyone says it, I'll address all the rushes that lost yardage. The offensive line very much underachieved last year, and also had to do a lot of shuffling to plug gaps due to injuries/suspension. It's pretty hard to gain yards when you're being tackled almost while you're getting the handoff. For some reason, Wegher was in that situation quite a bit. Most guys don't shrug off 2 or 3 guys immediately after the handoff. Shonn Greene was an extremely rare back, and it could be quite a long time before we have another like him, if we ever have one.

This is a joke right?